Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Items for underwater content

Hi all!

I just wanted to know what the opinion on having a craft-able underwater set is? Something that gives you a small swim speed bonus or relevant underwater only buff. Maybe have underwater goggles as a quest reward or something of the like that reduces the post processing effects underwater if used.

Comments

• KearavainKearavain Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh god, for whatever reason, my mind went to swimsuit skins that always seem to be in JRPGs.

On topic, it seems like a no brainer to me as it plays into the risk versus reward gameplay the developers have cited. For example, swimming gear most likely will not offer as much protection but will give you better mobility in the water. Likewise, heavy armor could have negative "swimming" stats to signify this.
  • Exactly, build in the risk reward component, while also providing a different market for crafters. It will also be a cool way to add realism to the world. Today they were talking on the dev update about changing the water shader to make it more visible. Instead, they can implement a simple quest that grants you goggles that clears underwater vision up a bit
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'd personally rather not give up any decent gear I have managed to acquire just to be able to function underwater. I'd personally rather anything like this be in the form of a buff - whether that is cast from other players or from a player made consumable.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Casperious wrote: »
    I just wanted to know what the opinion on having a craft-able underwater set is? .

My first instinct when I read this and the title was that it meant items you could only craft while underwater and I was very confused.

I think the only type of underwater set I'd be like (over my normal armor) would be a gathering set if you were specifically looking for underwater type items. I'm sure others would probably use them, but I'd feel unsafe without my gear.
  • Since a large % of Verra's playable area is water, I would think it's likely there will be gatherables down there. I would appreciate a random spawning shipwreck to look for, and loot as well. I would be willing to swap my boots for flippers, and go for it.
  • LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Swim wear with swim speed/diving bonuses please! Its just so disturbing to play games where everyone is swimming around in full plate armor. At least give players an incentive if they switch to something for fun in the water.
  • My euro-thong will grant me 10% +Swimming Speed.... Unless it's riding up my crack too much. Then it's only +5%....

I could see this being a thing. Tridents and Harpoons, and the like.