Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is your PERFECT gaming experience?

SunboySunboy Member
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Coming home from work mentally exhausted and flipping a off switch in your brain while playing a nice calming game like Subnautica is just one of the best feelings I can have right now.

I do remember the old days of the rush of getting the kill in (insert any onlinegame here) and getting first place, thrash talking and getting it back while laughing. Getting stuck on a boss for days, perfecting your moves to finally defeat it. All that was good but now seems like a hustle. I just want to be dumb for a hour or two.

Also if you want you can fill out the survey below with the answer you wrote here so I can make a graph. I like those.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLHW9-_a7OkHspnCIYcRpx-8H8w7hTc9Nk0WaJyhLqoFJr3w/viewform?usp=pp_url

Much Love ❤️❤️❤️

Comments

• Options
    I know people on these forums make fun of WoW every chance they get but... Original WoW and even through Burning Crusade was my ‘Perfect’ Gaming Experience. Nothing has come close to that in a long time.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    Much like films, the games I enjoy at any given moment depend on my mood and what I want to get out of the experience. Sometimes I want to be challenged - either physically or mentally, or both. Other times I want to relax and do something pretty mindless. And still other times I just want to be engrossed in a well written story. Hell, there are times when I just want to spend some time exploring a game world.

That's the great thing about games, they can fulfil so many different avenues and experiences.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Open world PvP, no p2w, cool classes and weapons, mixture of natural ecosystems as well as dungeons, ruins, towers and other environments to explore.

Solid economy, not 1 character producing/crafting ALL the items.

Open world raidbosses, offering good xp and good loot for the players that manage to take them down whilst anybody could prevent them.

Meaningful guild activities such as war and map control.

Extras such as naval content, heists (caravans), epic quests that sets you apart from the rest, sieges, 1v1 competitions for the ultimate monthly trophy (L2 olympiad).

• Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited January 2021
    Lord of the rings online, the game itself has plenty of flaws but the community is what made it the best experience I had in an MMO.

The earlier content was also very challenging, we had to work as a team for weeks sometimes to progress in a raid. These days raids are cleared in a day or two and it is considered "challenging"

PvP was not some 10 vs 10 battleground with a timer, we fought for hours to keep control of a castle. (was laggy at times hihi)

The combat for back in 2007/8 was really good and to be honest in my opinion has aged a lot better than some other MMO combat that are from the same period.

Lotro had plenty of mistakes and unfortunately, it got ruined by greed and lack of vision, so many wonderful features that they later abandoned to just add another one that is pretty much the same.

Played the game for 7 years without a break and I have some really good memories playing that game. From raiding to PVP but in the end, it all comes the community we had. There was no dungeon finder, people had to actually talk to find a group, discuss tactics before each fight. There was little to no sense of elitism as people were judged by other people and not some metric.

I do believe that this is something that can be relived in Ashes of Creation. Judging of the people on this forum, we got a good community going here :smiley:
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ultima Online was the best. It offered so much more than current MMOs. It had a murderer system no pre determined factions or classes. There was faction warfare you could take part in if you wanted. Also had open dungeons. There was just so much UO had to offer that no new MMO has done...
  • Options
    In reality? SWG was the fav that yours truly has actually played - but I did find it's PvE and Player City mechanics lacking. Space and Starfighter Engineering was the BEST - and nothing's ever beat it, for me. So far, AoC - with all of the intended mechanics that Interpid is planning - takes the cake, though.

In fantasy? The ideal game for yours truly would have to be the *notion* of Star Wars: Galaxies 2, with some to-be AoC mechanics. Disney and EA would never go for this, though. I'm a sucker for lightsabers and the Force. I have no idea how such a notion could be engineered, with so many multiple worlds and the Node mechanics. But ideally, someday? EA would run out of the exclusive contract with Disney to make Star Wars games, and Intrepid - many years on - would be contracted to make SWG2.

• Options
    By the way, @Sunboy - you have a very distinct Simon Whistler look, to you. I love the historical documentaries he does on YouTube.
  • Options
    By the way, @Sunboy - you have a very distinct Simon Whistler look, to you. I love the historical documentaries he does on YouTube.

Middle aged, bald and bearded white male with glasses. We all look alike 🤣 Love his stuff too!
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The best experience is the one that leaves me feeling...I don't know how else to say it but like...human feelings? Like some games will leave you crying in a puddle, but if it's done beautifully it can really make you think. While other games make the child in you beam with joy.

I play different games depending on what I'm in the mood for too, so somedays when I need to blow off steam I'll do something hardcore or hack and slash. While other days to blow off the same steam I might plant a nice little garden and feed my sheep.

Currently bouncing between: Littlewood, Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, Nier Automata, and ARK
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »
    The best experience is the one that leaves me feeling...I don't know how else to say it but like...human feelings? Like some games will leave you crying in a puddle, but if it's done beautifully it can really make you think. While other games make the child in you beam with joy.

I play different games depending on what I'm in the mood for too, so somedays when I need to blow off steam I'll do something hardcore or hack and slash. While other days to blow off the same steam I might plant a nice little garden and feed my sheep.

Currently bouncing between: Littlewood, Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, Nier Automata, and ARK

Gw2 for sure used to give me that feeling of Wooo this is the best game. In the last 2-3 years I lost touch with it. Great to see yu are enjoying it, wish I could do the same :(
  • Options
    LeroherLeroher Member
    edited February 2021
    Much like films, the games I enjoy at any given moment depend on my mood and what I want to get out of the experience. Sometimes I want to be challenged - either physically or mentally, or both. Other times I want to relax and do something pretty mindless. And still other times I just want to be engrossed in a well written story. Hell, there are times when I just want to spend some time exploring a game world.

That's the great thing about games, they can fulfil so many different avenues and experiences.

You can say it louder but not clearer. You pretty much spoke for me.
  • Options
    For all its faults, Age of Wushu was my most memorable mmo. Tons of fun memories made due to the overlapping social circles that game encouraged.

I remember this one time I was dicking around the player hub area, when I saw two players rush by super fast, one clearing chasing the other. Curious, I followed them as they ran behind a hill and began to fight at the base of a small cliff face. Now that I had time to look at both players, I recognized one of them as being from an enemy guild! Deciding to thrust myself into the melee, I began jumped down from the top of the cliff and began pummeling the enemy guild member. The other player was taken aback at first, but quickly paired up and started fighting alongside me until we killed the enemy guild dude. After he was dead, we exchanged stories about how we came to hate those bastards and laughed about it.

The ability to fight people whenever and whereever for whatever reason made things fun and tense and added a feeling of danger and enjoyment to the game. Not that death meant much, it was basically just a short term debuff and bragging rights... but still, it kept you on your toes!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Fighting alongside my crack team in Age of Conan, outnumbered 40 to 1 (only 5 of us against 200). The Commander of the 200 sent in teams of 5 at a time against us. We carved up 12 groups of 5 until the 13th group killed us. Corpses littered everywhere, we had elephant corpses, rhino corpses, horse corpses, stygian corpses, camel corpses, cimmerian corpses and aquilonian corpses.

Was an awesome time and the fight latest an hour. I led a Bounty Hunter Guild at the time and my 4 partners and I had been given a bounty quest to kill the leader of the 200. I took 13 to be my unlucky number from that day.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes, I've been rushing through typos all day lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Corbin_DallasCorbin_Dallas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    I've had 2 mmo's I enjoyed more than all others. Shadowbane back in 2001 and Darkfall in 2009. Others have been ok but those were my favorite due to the high risk vs. reward aspects. I'm not the greatest solo pvp'r but I prefer games where the risk of loss is huge.
  • Options
    Open world, sandbx games for sure these last years, roaming around exploring things, that's what can pull me in and calm me in the last years or amazing stories. Zelda BOTW was for sure one of those these last years. Monster hunter world not as much for the open world but world building is amazing.
  • Options
    Anyone else from darkfall online?
  • Options
    Lineage 2 before going free to play.
  • Options
    Perfect MMO, I haven't found one, which is why I'm interested in this. I would say the best or most fun I've had in MMO's would be, WotLK period in WoW, GW2 decent all around game with crappy game servers and outdated engine, and Tera was good when it first came out before you hit end game.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Anyone else from darkfall online?
    Buskolsky wrote: »
    Lineage 2 before going free to play.

Darkfall Online and Lineage 2 were both PERFECT gaming experiences for me.

Up until the point that they both turned on themselves.

I see a lot of what was good about those games AOC, that is why I am so passionate about this game.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I've never played a mainstream MMO that I can call the perfect experience. Nearly all post-2010 MMO's have had glaring issues that killed them, none of them were worth the time.
  • Options
    Mine unfortunately has never materialised, due to the fact that it required friends to play with me and none were big gamers, even less so MMO players.

So for me I would say:

FFXIV for the setting, lore, character design, story and classes.

+

Initial launch of Tera in the west (when it was still a good subscription based model and things were really fresh and new), but with actual friends to party up with and form a guild where I'm not the only one left playing after one patch XD
    +

A D&D like decisions matter and you forge this game's story. I blame Critical Role for this,

=

Perfect game. And to some extent I believe AOC kinda fits in that, minus perhaps the primary focus on an actual narrative. Now I just need to convince some friends to play with me once it comes out.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Oh I forgot. SWTOR Hutt ball. That was hella fun until you reached max level.
  • Options
    HonshuHonshu Member
    edited February 2021
    For me, a "perfect gaming experience" is one where the game draws you in enough to the point where you think it could actually represent a real world. Where all the game mechanics just combine in this perfect storm to just PERFECTLY capture the feeling of really being in this fantastical world, because it lines up your "player" mentality of doing what's efficient and smart with the thematic expectations of this setting you're involved in.

To illustrate, I shall explain my experiences in the MMO Age of Wushu, which is a wuxia MMO. For me, Age of Wushu was the "perfect gaming experience," because there were so many little moments and experiences that I had that just perfectly lined up with what goes on in wuxia dramas and novels and things of that nature, and it all came about because of the sorts of game mechanics and meta mechanics in the game

For example, it was a policy for a time that the developers of the game would actively take down online information and guides about Age of Wushu. This was a meta action, an action that took place BEYOND the game, but the way it affected the game made it feel so much more authentic to the wuxia genre, because now knowledge was something precious, guarded, and powerful. I knew a guy in my guild who had devised a way to very effectively farm items for a powerful kung fu style that made him the envy of the server, and he wouldn't tell anyone how to do it because he didn't want competition! This sort of player mentality was perfectly in line with genre trope of a kung fu master who crafts secret martial art manuals that hold ridiculously effective techniques. Everyone in the story wants to know the secrets of his techniques, but he never tells, right up until he's long since passed into history, and years later, his secret manual becomes a McGuffin, sought after by all. Years later, I found this same guy I knew literally traded the secret of how to acquire this kung fu style to another guy for some secrets of his own. I was floored; I hadn't seen that kind of thing in an MMO, ever, because knowledge tends to be so free in these sorts of games.

There was another example that always stuck with me. In Age of Wushu, there are movement abilities called Flying Skills which gave you unique and powerful ways of moving around the game world. Air dashes, triple jumps, wall running, and more allowed players with those flying skills to access areas more quickly and effectively than people who did not. One day, a newbie player came up and asked my character some random question. For whatever reason, I didn't feel like responding. Instead, I directed my character, who was significantly higher level and more advanced than him, to do a series of acrobatic leaps to jump up on top of a tall city wall. I briefly stood around while I did whatever else I was doing at the time, when I noticed the newbie was slowly following me. He had trudged up a nearby wall turret's stairs, a slower but sure way to get to where I was, and repeated his question. Feeling an odd sense of playfulness, I vaulted off the wall, ran across the water of a nearby lake, and waited at the opposite shore. Sure enough, I could see the newbie leap off the wall, taking some fall damage, wade into the water, and slowly swim across to once more resume his inquiries. This time, I used a technique to run faster than a horse could gallop, briskly disappearing off into a nearby forest, whereupon I leaped into the branches of a bamboo tree. Once more, I saw the newbie slowly come into view, running at a normal untrained move speed, and begin panning his character around, clearly looking for me. At that point I leaped down, told him he had proven his worth, answered his questions, and gave him some money for amusing me.

After that, I thought back to those kung fu series where you'll have some ridiculously powerful kung fu master just screwing around with the head of the protagonist for no real reason other than it amusing him, and I realized that for those few minutes, I *became* that kung fu master. My actions as a player had mirrored these fantastical stories I enjoyed so much, and I loved it.

That's what a "perfect gaming experience" is to me. It's where the rules of the game and the player mentality the game encourages lead you smack dab into inadvertently writing your own fantastical story. And for a moment, that story seems like it could really happen, because you just recreated it in this game you're playing.

There's no better or more memorable feeling than that.
  • Options
    The first 2 years of SWTOR. I played through each storyline at least once, and my favourite classes twice to see both outcomes and to try both subclasses. I didn't really play it as an MMO though. When the key systems changed, I stopped subbing.
  • Options
    Perfection is looking up from the game and realizing that hours have passed. IMMERSION! I don't want to be bogged down in the complexities - I want to play. For the sake of the discussion, I'll cite the examples that come to mind.

As some would recall in the days of WoW vanilla bgs. Alterac Valley bosses mattered. Collection of the elements to create/summon them and everyone working together to accomplish. Once done, running to the center of the valley to engage in the ensuring battle-thinking, "We've got this now!" Some of the battles lasting hours as there was no time limit. The battle could change and evolve so many times. Miss that a lot.

In addition to the above, when the alliance would attack Undercity, or Orgrimmar. Like really attack. Granted WoW was/is not the end all MMORPG, but some of those aspects they got right. The sieges were epic some of the best immersion I've experienced.

Also, any time there's a random spawn of a BAM (not a spawn in the same location, but truly random somewhere in the game/world). Besieged towns, dead NPCs, mayhem. Lotsa players to vanquish the attacking horde/boss. Rift had some of this as some of the rifts would spawn close to player outposts.

Keep up the awesome work! So looking forward to betas/release of AoC!
  • Options
    Frostshot wrote: »
    Oh I forgot. SWTOR Hutt ball. That was hella fun until you reached max level.

Swtor was a fun game ... until you hit max level.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's simple when I am having fun.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    xydrassialxydrassial Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Samson wrote: »
    I know people on these forums make fun of WoW every chance they get but... Original WoW and even through Burning Crusade was my ‘Perfect’ Gaming Experience. Nothing has come close to that in a long time.

I feel that something about the pre GroupFinder/RaidFinder era that really kept people social.
  • Options
    The Secret World.
  • Options
    I'm far too dirty-minded to describe my perfect gaming experience.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/