Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

hideable chest armour?

have they mentioned anything about being able to toggle off/hide the appearance of your chest armour so it shows only bare chest whilst maintaining the stats for those of us that want to play something along the lines of a slayer dawi/ barbarian?

Comments

• Options
    RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Barbarians are barechested because they're not wearing chest armour though....not because it's invisible.
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXIV has a invisible cosmetic for every slot. Should be standard.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    If players can use their cosmetic slots to look gaudy, I see no reason the opposite should be disallowed.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't know how I'd feel about a bunch of naked looking people running around with wolves and bears and beasts slashing and clawing at them xD
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »
    I don't know how I'd feel about a bunch of naked looking people running around with wolves and bears and beasts slashing and clawing at them xD

13cUWbo.jpg

I would feel pretty good about that...
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Expected the usual attack on "ruining our immersions" either the usual forum warriors aren't awake, or their still formulating their rage. I'm very curious about this one too. I'm still playing EQ using a very old bug to make my plate life vest invisible while tanking.
    The public outrage at ideas such as this on another startups forum already has me shying away from that game and looking into this one, even though the open world pvp thing has me a bit concerned for its long term viability. I hate armor with shine, graphical sparkly shite weapons etc, for myself. I just want to be able to look how I would want to look in a fantasy game, and feel others should have the same right. The immersion crowd in a fantasy game has always amused and irritated me. It would be great to finally have a game that allows me to do that, and looks good to play for the next decade.

Not paying yet, but watching your progress.
  • Options
    @Vhaeyne Heh - after I saw this kind of stuff in clips of Lineage 2, I started asking in the monthly Q&A's whether we'll see skimpy outfits. Steven was a big L2 player, but we still don't know his feelings about thongs and bikini bottoms in in AoC. I'm personally hoping it won't be in, as it subtracts from immersion, for yours truly.

@TyranthraxusEQ Nice name! I see I'm not the only one who was fond of the Pool of Radiance.... Would you have dipped in it, or banished it?

• Options
    Honestly never finished the game lol, but it was my first rpg on a c64 with a 4 inch screen, liked the name have used forms of it in every game I've played since.

/cheers

My usual form isn't that spelling so i likely wont be racing you for naming rights ;)
  • Options
    Honestly never finished the game lol, but it was my first rpg on a c64 with a 4 inch screen, liked the name have used forms of it in every game I've played since.

/cheers

My usual form isn't that spelling so i likely wont be racing you for naming rights ;)

Aye, no worries here, either: This won't be the name I'll be trying for in-game, anyways. There's another moniker I go by in games. I might change my forums-name so that no one thinks that we're the same player, posting up multiple times.

• Options
    @Vhaeyne Heh - after I saw this kind of stuff in clips of Lineage 2, I started asking in the monthly Q&A's whether we'll see skimpy outfits. Steven was a big L2 player, but we still don't know his feelings about thongs and bikini bottoms in in AoC. I'm personally hoping it won't be in, as it subtracts from immersion, for yours truly.

I agree with you. I do think the aesthetic works well for dark elves in fantasy, but I don't know that it would fit in well for AOC. I have stated a few times that I hope Empyrean can get dark elf skin colors, I don't see it as a deal breaker. I am also a major fan of Greek/Roman history, and also love that aesthetic.

My main plan has been to just make a dark skin empyrean with black dyed gear. Skimp of no skimp. If it's not possible, its not the end of the world. It just makes a lot of sense to me because the Roman Empire had a fair diversity of skin colors for an ancient civilization.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

13cUWbo.jpg

The day they put an outfit like that on the cosmetics store is the same day they make a big bag of money.
  • Options
    RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

13cUWbo.jpg

The day they put an outfit like that on the cosmetics store is the same day they make a big bag of money.

I'll buy if my overweight, overly hairy male dwarf can wear it.
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here I am loving the full cloak surround concepts we've seen, and, on the other side of the coin here we are discussing the naked possibilities for other character types. Rock on.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rather than hiding the slot maybe some kind of body tatoos or other that support a "barbarian" playstyle, this would let both sides who want immersion and vanity to get some common ground.
  • Options
    Hiding armor is equal to hiding your potential stats, so personally I don't like the idea of hiding gear for visual aesthetics.

Before you mention it, yes I know Entrepid plans to introduce some kind of system that allows you to see on your HUD what kind of gear quality someone has.
  • Options
    Hiding armor is equal to hiding your potential stats, so personally I don't like the idea of hiding gear for visual aesthetics.

Before you mention it, yes I know Entrepid plans to introduce some kind of system that allows you to see on your HUD what kind of gear quality someone has.

I was just going to bring up the fact that. Full body cosmetics do a pretty good job of hiding potential stats.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Rhuric wrote: »
    Barbarians are barechested because they're not wearing chest armour though....not because it's invisible.

i'll play without chest armour if it comes down to it but it'd be nice to be on the same level as everyone else whilst having my character look the way i want :p
  • Options
    Shergrim wrote: »
    Rhuric wrote: »

i'll play without chest armour if it comes down to it but it'd be nice to be on the same level as everyone else whilst having my character look the way i want :p

Just dye it the same colour as your skin. The chest armour tends to be rather important in your defence.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

13cUWbo.jpg

That, edgy teenager male faces, and underaged-looking girls are the mayor factors why I avoid eastern MMOs like a pest.

I get anime has set some aesthetics and behavioral standards for some kind of people, but it's so unpleasant or even disgusting for the rest of us... 😕
  • Options
    Sov54 wrote: »
    That, edgy teenager male faces, and underaged-looking girls are the mayor factors why I avoid eastern MMOs like a pest.
    I get anime has set some aesthetics and behavioral standards for some kind of people, but it's so unpleasant or even disgusting for the rest of us... 😕
    So this is what you want instead?
    288WSrb.png
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Sov54 wrote: »
    So this is what you want instead?
    288WSrb.png

Better than this, surely:
    x1couxj4y1ytoacmsawl.jpg
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Better than this, surely:
    x1couxj4y1ytoacmsawl.jpg
    That is really bad or really good parenting.

Depending on the year.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I think WoW did a good job with some Chest Armor, theres a Chestpiece thats like a ''Tattoo pattern'' or something like that. looks pretty cool and barbaric.

Skimpy Armor sets are ok in my opinion some people just like running around half naked and its a Fantasy Game nothing is ''realistic'' so why not.
    tbh everybody knows they will make big money if they sell sets like that xD

sorry for bad english
    uwu
  • Options
    @Sov54 ditto on that. It makes me so uncomfortable to think that people don't see any problems with characters that look like how you described... and those types of impractical outfits are just bits of fan-service that sell women's bodies under the pretense of ~fun video game style~
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can't even picture what my toon will look like. I have cosmetic purchases of course, but, transmogs mean there are nigh on unlimited options. I wonder if transmogs can be disabled like cosmetics though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

We do indeed know his feelings on that front, and I believe I shared a helpful wiki link that mentions it at the top in a previous month's Q&A wrap-up for you!

To OP's question, while we've previously addressed that your helmet would be able to be toggled, I don't believe we've specifically mentioned whether you'd be able to toggle the other slots, either regularly or through the use of cosmetics to "hide" your existing gear. I might recommend sharing this in an upcoming Q&A thread so we can dive in further!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Yes, we've read the wiki, immersion etc. No'one is asking for underage **** type characters in bikini's running around. I'm sorry if you find it disgusting that I would want to hide what I consider to be terrible looking glowing platmail with a tattooed chest skin or even a rusty half chainmail graphic. But some more revealing options are obviously extremely popular in games of this genre. There are only 2 sides to this argument that I've ever seen once it's boiled down.

There are those of us who want to look the way we envision our alter selves to be.
    And those of us who say, no you can't look like that because I don't want to see it, for whatever reason. Be it immersion, faith, bigotry, what have you.

My side has never demanded you wear a skimpy outfit, or asked for a toggle to turn off your head to toe plate graphic because we want to see more skin. We just want the freedom to look the way we want to, in our fantasy experience.

Personally I don't like particle effects and overly ornate gear in video games. I do however like to see a little skin. The dark elf pictured above pretty much exactly hits my wifes hopes for what her avatar can look like in a game. My ideal is my sig pic. Both can coexist in a western styled mmo. If the puritans don't have full control that is. I was hoping that since Steven is from Lineage that was the direction the art would go, but I've seen little evidence to that effect yet, and that's disappointing.
  • Options

We do indeed know his feelings on that front, and I believe I shared a helpful wiki link that mentions it at the top in a previous month's Q&A wrap-up for you!

To OP's question, while we've previously addressed that your helmet would be able to be toggled, I don't believe we've specifically mentioned whether you'd be able to toggle the other slots, either regularly or through the use of cosmetics to "hide" your existing gear. I might recommend sharing this in an upcoming Q&A thread so we can dive in further!

that'd be awesome ty!
  • Options

Excellent! Yours truly refers to the Wiki often, but sections like this can be hard to find.

I'm quite pleased, then!

• Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, we've read the wiki, immersion etc. No'one is asking for underage **** type characters in bikini's running around. I'm sorry if you find it disgusting that I would want to hide what I consider to be terrible looking glowing platmail with a tattooed chest skin or even a rusty half chainmail graphic. But some more revealing options are obviously extremely popular in games of this genre. There are only 2 sides to this argument that I've ever seen once it's boiled down.

There are those of us who want to look the way we envision our alter selves to be.
    And those of us who say, no you can't look like that because I don't want to see it, for whatever reason. Be it immersion, faith, bigotry, what have you.

My side has never demanded you wear a skimpy outfit, or asked for a toggle to turn off your head to toe plate graphic because we want to see more skin. We just want the freedom to look the way we want to, in our fantasy experience.

Personally I don't like particle effects and overly ornate gear in video games. I do however like to see a little skin. The dark elf pictured above pretty much exactly hits my wifes hopes for what her avatar can look like in a game. My ideal is my sig pic. Both can coexist in a western styled mmo. If the puritans don't have full control that is. I was hoping that since Steven is from Lineage that was the direction the art would go, but I've seen little evidence to that effect yet, and that's disappointing.

Totally agree. Players should be able to look the way they want to look as long as it fits in with the fantasy genre and doesn't go all race cars and high tops (like Terra did). I don't consider "plate mail bikini's" to be "disrupting immersion" but I would consider someone wearing a full body hotdog suit, or wearing a digital robot suit, to be disruptive of the theme.