Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question about environmental flooding

StretchStretch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hi, while I was rewatching the footage from the Development Update + Environment Footage on January 29, 2021, Some of the area showcased had some buildings on stilts:

8Z5uvd7.png
FAYbeM7.png

The area Steven and Bacon were running about in before hand was a coastal area of a tropical biome and I was wondering if the building on stilts was just the design of the building of it had more of a purpose to where buildings near the coast may be prone to flooding?

It would be pretty cool if that was the case or buildings near a river may be prone to flooding during heavy rainfall too.
The Environments wiki page mentions tunnel flooding for the Underrealm so it would be great to see that expanded!

Comments

• Options
    I believe in an interview Steven said natural disasters may be involved if you fail node events. Maybe sea monsters will attack the coastal node during Monster Coin Event causing flooding, or bad storms may be a thing every so often.
  • Options
    StretchStretch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Cadac wrote: »
    I believe in an interview Steven said natural disasters may be involved if you fail node events. Maybe sea monsters will attack the coastal node during Monster Coin Event causing flooding, or bad storms may be a thing every so often.

That sounds awesome!
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    Generally stilted buildings are either costal, wetlands, steep terrain or where undergrowth is wanted to be kept access to light. This images looks a bit out of context.

Perhaps more heavy planting under the buildings might ground the concept with some purpose.
  • Options
    Cadac wrote: »

Sea monsters causing flooding would be awesome! Even if it were flooded just due to storms it would be really cool to have such a dynamic environment. I'd imagine it would result in gameplay changes as well, such as certain actions/events only being available when the area is flooded.

I really like the idea of monsters having an impact on the environment in general, rather than always just roaming around not actually doing anything until they're engaged.