Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

More impactful animations and particle effects, especially for cleric

I know that the floaty-animations have already been addressed in a recent video, but I want to specifically address the current particle effects the cleric has.

I'm not a big fan of the yellow sprinkles everywhere, but mostly because it doesn't look particularly holy or impactful. For a skill like "Judgement" I want a blinding blast of holy light, not a limp sprinkle beam. Castigation's whip looks alright but the whip doesnt seem like it obeys physics, it might be better to do something different, with a more reliable animation.

The only animation that looks pretty good as is, imo, is the spear throw. It looks heavy, holy, impactful. It only has the sprinkle effect as the bolt spawns in, which is more appropriate feeling.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd rather not go this route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbwizzxQ_s
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I'd rather not go this route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbwizzxQ_s

Hahah, this is perfect. :D
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    The mage channel ability already has this problem. The blaze coming out of your hands makes it so you cant see what you're aiming at while the laser effect itself looks like a small stream of water
  • Options
    I promised myself I wouldn't complain too much about the combat because combat revamps are on the way. Sometimes I vent though. Particle Effects have been toned down from what they once were. Further fine tuning will also happen because we are still Pre-A1 (Some sporadic tests are happening though). Further options for particle effects should also be in the game though, small scale fights can look lush but 250vs250 or 500vs500 fights with maximised particle effects all over will be a confusing mess.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Further fine tuning will also happen because we are still Pre-A1
    This.

Also this:

And then this:

This too.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    This.

Also this:

And then this:

This too.

You forgot this
  • Options
    If you are blinded by your abilities which are tab target then you may need to back away your 3rd person camera angle if you can.
    For action target abilities they could make it that the mouse button click triggers a targeting reticule and the mouse button release launches the ability.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    edited February 2021
    If the developers don't understand that nearly everyone thinks the current animations for almost everything are horrible, we're in trouble. Yes... I understand it's in Alpha yada yada, but it's still concerning.
  • Options
    Combat updates have happened before, combat updates will happen again. Wait for the end of March to see the next combat update. Further updates will come after A1 and A2 because in A2 Combat will be expanded to all classes and the augments will also be tested I believe.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The game looks great now, so I have faith that they will get the combat and movement graphics looking spectacular by release. I know they said that they would need to reuse some movement sequences as much as possible to save time and money before release. But hopefully they will continue to implement updates to those things as the game progresses, to make the different classes / races feel more unique.
  • Options
    I'm sure theyll be able to change it in the future, I'm just hoping for the specific changes I mentioned
  • Options
    I read through the current skills for clerics, and I'm hoping to see a cleric tank have a force field like shield ability they could use. I always enjoy defensive shields like those.
  • Options
    Looch_Looch_ Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like for a pre alpha game the particle effects are great. Yes they will and should be toned down. You will also be able to adjust them in your own graphic settings. But lets just take a step back and appreciate what the graphic team has done on particles to this point. They are pre alpha here people. They are a talented group and I think this will end up being on the highlights of this game.