Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Underwater - Always Blue vs Murky

ArkethosArkethos Member
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
When swimming underwater, do you prefer games that have always long view distances or do you prefer variable water clarity (with the potential for murky, muddy water that severely shortens view distance, such as in swamps)?

I’m curious if there is a general consensus one way or the other. I like the idea of the potential for murky/muddy water, but I think it detracts from gameplay quickly as you don’t have the same senses you do in real life, and navigation could become an impossible or unnecessary hurdle... but it could also be a way for the dev team to create hidden areas and leave things like sunken loot in a pond, not visible from above the surface and thus favoring the bold explorers who dare to dive deep into the darkness.

Comments

• Options
    I think the murkiness adds to the immersion (pun intended).

Besides, it could be a cool moment, to just be swimming around under water, and start catching glimpses of massive shapes. Perhaps the glow of some gargantuan eye. And then BAM! Big ass monster.

That and also it somewhat limits potential griefing while under water if they can't see you from a certain distance.

Of course the level of murkiness needs to be tested, and perhaps it can be murkier in certain weather types or in certain spots etc.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally like a good underwater shader. They don't have to make things harder to see.

We have the perfect game as reference

Check out Subnautica. As far as I am concerned, that game sets the bar for good underwater aesthetics .
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm personally a fan of variation.

Not just location based, but they could well have a race that is a little better suited to seeing underwater, and perhaps even have buffs/consumables that add to it as well.
  • Options
    Arkethos wrote: »
    I like the idea of the potential for murky/muddy water, but I think it detracts from gameplay quickly as you don’t have the same senses you do in real life

In real life, your vision is massively affected underwater. That's why they've added the murkiness, to aid in immersion. I imagine there'll be some sort of consumable that allows you to improve your underwater vision.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Of course the level of murkiness needs to be tested, and perhaps it can be murkier in certain weather types or in certain spots etc.

That's an interesting point. Weather/Time of Day/etc should have an effect too.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Arkethos wrote: »
    I like the idea of the potential for murky/muddy water, but I think it detracts from gameplay quickly as you don’t have the same senses you do in real life

In real life, your vision is massively affected underwater. That's why they've added the murkiness, to aid in immersion. I imagine there'll be some sort of consumable that allows you to improve your underwater vision.

Directional senses, touch, balance... those are lost in translation. I agree it would be likely a consumable (or some sort of equipment, like goggle from Science node crafters or something) to get around the murkiness.

Having grown up on the West coast, and now living along the upper Mississippi, the quality or clarity of water can certainly change the experience of being in/on the water in real life. Having that translate accordingly to a video game, specifically an MMO, just seemed worth a discussion on how people feel about it.

If there are different levels of clarity, at different times and for different bodies of water, then that would be really great, IMO. Forcing players to risk a little adventure into the unknown or utilize special crafted/consumable items to manage the environment, definitely keeps the game interesting and the economy chugging along.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    I gave my thoughts on this topic yesterday on my stream, but the short version is that you have to be very careful when it comes to messing with people's vision in a game. Even a simple blur effect can cause some players to get nauseated or suffer migraines to the point where they physically cannot play the game. That is never something you want to happen.

As for increasing the risk vs reward in water, I believe this can be achieved without messing with people's vision. Environmental hazards or even vision-related things that affect your character but not you the player. For example, in Divinity Original Sin 2 there is a blinding mechanic that causes a character to have reduced range on their abilities and attacks, but the player can still see things the same as before.

Sure it might not be as immersive but it reduces the chances of having people fall ill from the game while still giving a viable impact on gameplay.

EDIT: Oh and as a side note, as someone who worked as a Scuba Instructor for 5 years, having to navigate underwater in near pitch darkness is NOT fun.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think adding blurriness underwater also adds an opportunity for more game mechanics:
    Skills/consumables that grant water vision.
    Goggles.
    Loch Ness rumours.
    I wish I were deep and tragic