Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What were the best non-pay to win Cash Shop Items ?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Spurred by the most recent post on MMORPG, what were some of the best non-pay to win cash shop items found in other MMORPG`s or similar?

Path of Exile had a great range of cash shop items that for the most part. And looks like with low pricing, looks like they worked on the basis of players buying many cheap items rather than few expensive.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2021
    Ironically I found the dye pallet from BDO a great income source for non p2w items.
    Sometimes I'd get over it and just let my outfits on their natural designs, other times I'd spend the money. It didn't affect my gameplay.

Take that concept and add it to a game where it has good looking ingame armor designs, unlike bdo, and it's a fair service.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ironically I found the dye pallet from BDO a great income source for non p2w items.
    Sometimes I'd get over it and just let my outfits on their natural designs, other times I'd spend the money. It didn't affect my gameplay.

Take that concept and add it to a game where it has good looking ingame armor designs, unlike bdo, and it's a fair service.

I actually like the dye pallet concept from BDO as well, it is a far better way of doing dye than individual colors that most games do.

As to PoE, I like some of what they do, I really like the idea of having replacement visual effects for spells and such and I seriously hope that is something Ashes does.

The issue with this is that it means that someone could be attacking you with a fire spell, that has the mechanics of a fire spell, but because the player in question is role playing as an ice mage and purchased an ice based visual effect for his fire spell, that fire spell looks as if it is an ice spell.

This is absolutely no different to people in what looks like a robe coming up to you to hit you with what looks like a club in one hand and a book in the other, but are in fact fighters in plate armor holding a two handed axe - which based on Stevens comments is absolutely going to happen.

Other than cosmetic items, I personally think visual effects for spells and abilities is the next best thing to sell on the shop.
  • Options
    GW2 has a lot of good non-p2W cash shop items. Lots of armor and mount skins. The only things that come close to P2W in there are convenience items like bag space and teleport devices to open world events.

I would like to see Ashes follow in this.
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    My Werewolf skin from the Halloween battle pass in Fortnite. Also my BTS dance from the concert event (especially when done on my werewolf)
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I’d also like to say that one of the greatest things ever were the taunts in PlanetSide 1. In game voiced one liners like “you’ll get better in time” and “your best is my worst”.

If Intrepid is looking for a way to sell something that doesn’t affect game balance, they should consider adding an “audio taunt” key to the game. I would gladly pay for customized audible phrases and taunts, animated gestures would also be a plus.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I thought the personality change from ESO was quite fun. It changed your idle stance altered some of your emotes. Things like thief who occasionally flipped a dagger in their hand, drunkard and many others, but all just cosmetic but added flavour to your character.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    Eso is the only game where all the races and all the classes had the same body stance.
    Them charging money for personality stances was an insult
  • Options
    Eso is the only game where all the races and all the classes had the same body stance.
    I agree.

Like anything, if the base game doesn't give you options, then you shouldn't need to pay to get them.

I like the idea of selling stances and such, but just as is the case with cosmetics, the game needs to come with a selection first, then they can look at charging people for additional options.
  • Options
    I’d also like to say that one of the greatest things ever were the taunts in PlanetSide 1. In game voiced one liners like “you’ll get better in time” and “your best is my worst”.

If Intrepid is looking for a way to sell something that doesn’t affect game balance, they should consider adding an “audio taunt” key to the game. I would gladly pay for customized audible phrases and taunts, animated gestures would also be a plus.
    Actually that could work in a number of ways... I would find it refreshing to not have every player make the same stock standard taunt by having additional selected taunts / speech from the cash shop.
  • Options
    With Path of Exile, I recall enjoying it so much at the time that I made a purchase from the cash shop for no real reason but just to give back something.
  • Options
    Ah, and the comment in the last monthly presentation.. It was a sour point with ESO to be stuck with an awful looking character due to a lack of options at start of the game, and an annoyance to have to pay to change what should never have been in the first place. Happy to pay to get a change later if was actually able to create something decent in the beginning and want change later. Not if there was never anything decent and decent options are offered later.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Anything from the League of Legends cash shop. Still to this day the best monetization practice in a free2play game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Frostshot wrote: »
    GW2 has a lot of good non-p2W cash shop items. Lots of armor and mount skins. The only things that come close to P2W in there are convenience items like bag space and teleport devices to open world events.

I would like to see Ashes follow in this.

I agree Gw2 has a good store but it also lacks items (weapon, mount and armour) skins that are really worth buying.

I did like ESO's store (early days) , BDO I do like their skins... they are beautiful.
  • Options

Several were able to be earnt in game some were even just for things like entering a dungeon, but then I guess you could argue they were behind a pay wall as they were DLC content. If you were subbed the DLC required no extra payment plus the in game currency you received for being subbed was more then enough to buy any of the personalities or all of them quite frankly. But if you did not want to support the game through a sub or buy the DLC's how much did you want handed to you.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    It feels like the direction Intrepid is going is the right one.

The best cash shop options should be the cosmetics, in any game. Having watched enough of the videos through AoC's YouTube channel, it was dissappointing to hear that so many other games went P2W. Star Wars: Galaxies had the Trading Card Game late in live-production, for random items of high trade-value - but this kind of system is viewed as gambling by the EU and thus not allowed, in their markets. The 2nd Star Wars MMO was SWCLA and was almost *entirely* P2W for both customizations and prize-earning. In contrast, the 3rd Star Wars MMO (SWTOR) started with no cash shop and added it later for customizations only, and now features complete P2W options (i.e. you can buy a max-level character on day one).

Again, yours truly feels that AoC's model is inherently the best way to go, for managing the ethic of non-impact for Cash Shops, in MMOs.

• Options
    Varkun wrote: »

Several were able to be earnt in game some were even just for things like entering a dungeon, but then I guess you could argue they were behind a pay wall as they were DLC content. If you were subbed the DLC required no extra payment plus the in game currency you received for being subbed was more then enough to buy any of the personalities or all of them quite frankly. But if you did not want to support the game through a sub or buy the DLC's how much did you want handed to you.

I got plenty of DLCs and more outfit slots than most ppl. Expansions etc etc.
    But 0 stances.
  • Options
    xydrassialxydrassial Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gold for Sub time was nice...
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Racial Tattoo selections. Love to have great tattoos.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Anything from the League of Legends cash shop. Still to this day the best monetization practice in a free2play game.

^TRUTH

but you have to admit, the quality of their work has seen *MAJOR* improvement over the last decade... but we've also entered the territory of "everyone is neon".

:/
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Varkun wrote: »

I got plenty of DLCs and more outfit slots than most ppl. Expansions etc etc.
    But 0 stances.

These are the only personalities I have 2 may have been purchaesed I can not remember but the other 5 can be obtained in game.

Assassin, travelling Gold coast DLC for first time.
    Commander, purchase, promotion or event can not remember which.
    Heroic, enter Mazzatan or cradle of shadows, you didn't even have to complete it.
    Telvanni Magister, completeing Telvanni quest line in Vvardenfel, this is paid as is an expansion.
    Thief, purchase promotion or event
    Beast, march of sacrifice challenge achievement
    Worm Wizard, fang lair challenge achievement.

There are numerous others purchased through the cash shop but as I despise the ESO cash shop. At least 2 of the above can be obtained simply by showing up.
    I do agree with you that all races having the same idle stance is pretty scummy but then who knows how long ago they came up with the idea of personalities. But then ESO is out to scam as much money from people as possible but thats another story for another forum.
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hammered ESO on PC and PS4. I left the game and returned a few weeks ago. Doesn't grab me at all in these times. The Graphics look dated, I forgot how to play my Sorc Tank and I couldn't remember anything about the game in general.

ESO is a hard miss for me these days. I used to have fun on my Sorc Tank and Templar when I was younger though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yes I manage 1 day a week for pvp with guild mates but it is just to catch up as much as anything. Has been over 2 years since I played consistently, just can not get into the pve any more. The MMOrpg player in me has a need for something much more from my MMO's just hope ashes can deliver.

very much off topic sorry
    3KAqRIf.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    In Maplestory - world chat is not publicly available - you have to buy a "Super Megaphone" from the cash shop.

This is great because:
    • No World Chat spam (except from whales, sadly)
    • Most World Chat messages are usually significant, since someone was willing to spend money broadcasting it.

Limiting the world chat in a subscription game is a bit weird tho.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    That is interesting, but as long as we have a block list I'd be ok with free world chat. Better yet, I would like to see limited distance world chat. More like regional.
  • Options
    My understanding is that there won't be world chat in Ashes - at least not as it is in other games.

I would expect to see node, social organization, religion, guild and alliance chats, but not world chat.