Secret skills?

Has there been any mention of any secret skills getting inputted into the game? Or is that stuff still under NDA?

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not sure what you mean by secret skills. Half of the classes aren't available yet so all of their skills are still secret. Then we only have level 1 to 10 skills for the classes with information so secret skills still exist for those. There is a NDA involved yeah.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In many anime about MMO's there are hidden skill you can find in the world by doing a one off quest of finding an item.
    Don't think this will be a thing but I like the idea. Guild Wars had a skill capture ability that allowed you to capture unique skills from boss.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Not really a secret but there was talk of possibly gaining special skills for maybe the mayor and or leaders of a city during a siege. Something to that extent.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think Social Organization augments kindof fall into this category.

Your ranking in a Social Organization can unlock augments
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    These won't be a thing, they confirmed it on a past live stream.

What may be a thing though are the Legendary Unique pieces of equipment (1 per server) potentially having active abilities attached to them.
    nI17Ea4.png
    Talents wrote: »
    These won't be a thing, they confirmed it on a past live stream.

What may be a thing though are the Legendary Unique pieces of equipment (1 per server) potentially having active abilities attached to them.

I'm so ready for the wars fought over My Precious
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    In many anime about MMO's there are hidden skill you can find in the world by doing a one off quest of finding an item.
    Sword Art Online comes to mind as a show that employed this as a trope.

The thing is, it's a feature written into a show about a fictional MMO that was put in because it seemed cool for the story. It's not something that actual MMOs do, nor would it make sense to include it or be of any benefit.

The closest I can think of to "secret" skills was when Star Wars Galaxies originally gave players the ability to become Force Sensitive and eventually become Jedi. They originally made the process secret (until people figured out how it worked and learned it was a combination of a soul-crushing grind and total random chance) but even that didn't work like the anime shows portray it.

Basically, no, this isn't a thing in any game nor should it be. It won't be in Ashes for sure.

Hhak63P.png
  • MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would make things interesting and there was some talk of it wayyyy back. I think it would be okay if it was a skill augment instead of a brand new skill.
  • Whether or not they were a thing, if they were secret, we probably couldn't tell you about them ;)<3
    community_management.gif
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    Sword Art Online comes to mind as a show that employed this as a trope.

The thing is, it's a feature written into a show about a fictional MMO that was put in because it seemed cool for the story. It's not something that actual MMOs do, nor would it make sense to include it or be of any benefit.

The closest I can think of to "secret" skills was when Star Wars Galaxies originally gave players the ability to become Force Sensitive and eventually become Jedi. They originally made the process secret (until people figured out how it worked and learned it was a combination of a soul-crushing grind and total random chance) but even that didn't work like the anime shows portray it.

Basically, no, this isn't a thing in any game nor should it be. It won't be in Ashes for sure.

Bofuri on Hulu is another good one. They could get special abilities by doing stuff or just completing a quest in an unusual way.
    I think it could fit to make a one off ability. Maybe find a book or something and only put a hundred or so possible per server. Only one allowed per toon with several different types. Nothing game breaking like a God skill.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • I wouldn't mind Corruption-based unlocks like secret lore - but any secret abilities that unbalance PvP would be most unwelcome.

Now, something like the ability to transform your body - permanently or temporarily - via Corruption to look like the Ancients might be a really cool secret ability, though.

Yours truly has also always found the process of "reverse-summoning" and "gate" magics to be of-interest. There's supposed to be very little quick-travel in AoC - but that's not to say that perhaps there couldn't be some kind of hidden rating-system for the server's somehow-determined top Summoners to where they could portal themselves to somewhere they've set up some kind of self-summoning point, for example!

edited February 2021
    I wouldn't mind Corruption-based unlocks like secret lore - but any secret abilities that unbalance PvP would be most unwelcome.

Now, something like the ability to transform your body - permanently or temporarily - via Corruption to look like the Ancients might be a really cool secret ability, though.

Yours truly has also always found the process of "reverse-summoning" and "gate" magics to be of-interest. There's supposed to be very little quick-travel in AoC - but that's not to say that perhaps there couldn't be some kind of hidden rating-system for the server's somehow-determined top Summoners to where they could portal themselves to somewhere they've set up some kind of self-summoning point, for example!

I'd like to see what shenanigans players could pull off if summoners could open 2 portals that link together. Nothing big, more like: sneaking behind enemy lines to open a portal behind the walls of a seige to breach the defenses of the unwary.

Or tricking an enemy to enter a portal leading straight into a trap/ambush.

Maybe an augment that lets you corrupt a portal, damaging anyone who uses it.

It would have to be time and distance limited though - even then, it's likely to create a whole lot of headaches when players find exploits to get past things they shouldn't be able to.