Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game language suggestion

Hello! please add chinese to the game because the chinese community is currently very excited about this game, we hope we can get your attention, this is a good chance to expand the fan base for this game, we hope you guys can see this because adding chinese to the game means a lot to us, the chinese community are a big fan of MMORPG, and it's been so long since we got a new or good MMORPG, the game was noticed by a lot of chinese people and they are very excited about this game, but currently the game doesnt support chinese language, and we all wanted to ask you guys to notice us, this is such a good opportunity to get more people into this game, Please, add chinese to the game. Thank you! we are waiting to hear more from you guys.

Comments

• Options
    Ni hao!

Aye - always happy to see shared commonalities, between nations! Even when governments don't get along, it's always good to see civilians and other normal folk share a common interest.

/Support for Mandarin / Cantonese language support.

• Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hello!
    I am Japanese, and as someone whose native language is not implemented in the game, your opinion is exactly the same as mine.

Right after the release, the game will only support the currently announced languages, but if gamers like us can spread the word in our home countries and get more people interested, it might be possible in the future 😃

I'm also going to be steadily sending out information on the upcoming alpha test, as I want more gamers to be interested in Ashes !

Have a good gamer life ;)
  • Options
    @WhitneyHagasMatsumoto I feel ya, It's always comfortable when you can enjoy the game with your mother language, because games like this require a lot of attention in details, so I really hope we can get more languages from Asia to the game by the launch, this game could be a great hit!
  • Options
    Ni hao!

Aye - always happy to see shared commonalities, between nations! Even when governments don't get along, it's always good to see civilians and other normal folk share a common interest.

/Support for Mandarin / Cantonese language support.

Hello, yeah, we really hope we could get more languages to the game! this is such a good opportunity to expand the player base for the game!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    While I would fully support a chinese language adaptation of the game (not that it is up to me...), Steven has, in the past, said that he is unlikely to ever alter the game to make it acceptable in China.

If nothing else, Ashes will allow for same sex marriage - this is non-negotiable from Stevens perspective.

As a result of this, I am unsure if a chinese language version of the game will be viable, sadly.

If there is a viable need for it though, I'm sure it will be considered.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    A translated version should be possible, releasing a game in China though comes with a whole lot of caveats.
    Some big ones were already mentioned, changes to the game. (compare the Chinese version of WoW's Maldraxxus with the normal version for example.) There's also the fact you need to create a sub-company of sorts to be allowed to publish there. (government has to own a percentage) monthly subscriptions need to be changed. Pay per hour I think it was?

It might happen, because outside of that, the Chinese market is very attractive due to its size and earning potential. But it probably won't be at launch.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    edited February 2021
    ariatras wrote: »
    It might happen, because outside of that, the Chinese market is very attractive due to its size and earning potential. But it probably won't be at launch.

I'm not saying it won't, but Steven has said he is not interested in a Chinese version of the game. He may change his mind on this, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That doesn't mean a chinese language translation can't be done - as languages are something that can be handled client side.

The question then becomes - is a chinese language version of the game worth it if that game can't be played in China?
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited February 2021
    Noaani wrote: »

The question then becomes - is a chinese language version of the game worth it if that game can't be played in China?

There's still a market for a traditional-Chinese version in Taiwan (~23M population) & Hong Kong (~7.5M population). The regulations there are not as tight as mainland China's, and there's probably no need to alter the actual game for it to be released there.

But, China's been tightening their grip over Hong Kong recently and we don't know whether (or when) it will affect the gaming industry.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Taiwan.
    This is the part that could potentially make it viable.

I don't know if it is, I wouldn't want to suggest either way.

If the OP is keen on getting a chinese version of the game, this is where they should look to attempt to see if they have something viable they could bring to Intrepid.

I am nice enough to give them a bit of a head start though.

The game is going to be available in French, German and Russian at launch.
    French has 67 million native speakers.
    German has 101 million native speakers.
    Russian has 145 million native speakers.

Then the game is going to be translated to Italian, Polish and Spanish
    Italian has 61 million speakers
    Polish has 46 million speakers
    Spanish has 350 million native speakers.

Assuming Hong Kong is out, this means the Chinese version of the game is basically being aimed at 23 million people in Taiwan. This is half the population of the lowest currently confirmed language.

Now, it may well be that Taiwan has more gamers per capita than Poland, I don't know. These are things that people with more of a stake in this may want to look in to.
  • Options
    I do wonder how many gamers actually use the different language options, not that they shouldn't be there but it would interesting to get some numbers. As a non-native English speaker myself I would personally never use Dutch or Flemish (would be funny if it was in the local dialects)

Of course, this doesn't mean I am against more language options but in the end, it comes down to $$.
  • Options
    Taiwan.

If the OP is keen on getting a chinese version of the game, this is where they should look to attempt to see if they have something viable they could bring to Intrepid.

Assuming Hong Kong is out, this means the Chinese version of the game is basically being aimed at 23 million people in Taiwan. This is half the population of the lowest currently confirmed language.

Now, it may well be that Taiwan has more gamers per capita than Poland, I don't know. These are things that people with more of a stake in this may want to look in to.

I mean, just like Black Dessert Online, theres the Taiwan version of it and still a lot of mainland chinese players play on that server, It doens't have to be a chinese version of the game, a translation could be enough already and as you can see, there are a lot of chinese in the United States, there are so many asians in this country and that could be a good thing for it, I know there are a lot of problems with sexual content in mainland China but a translation is enough in my opinion, because I'm in a groupchat of chinese gamers, they always play games from other servers and they don't really mind the lag, I just hope we can get chinese translation.
  • Options
    ariatras wrote: »
    A translated version should be possible, releasing a game in China though comes with a whole lot of caveats.
    Some big ones were already mentioned, changes to the game. (compare the Chinese version of WoW's Maldraxxus with the normal version for example.) There's also the fact you need to create a sub-company of sorts to be allowed to publish there. (government has to own a percentage) monthly subscriptions need to be changed. Pay per hour I think it was?

We don't really need mainland china servers, a translation language pack is enough in my opinion, even though I live in the US, I still got a lot of chinese friends who are more comfortable with reading chinese in this type of games since it requires a lot of details understanding.
  • Options
    xxbenny wrote: »
    Taiwan.

I mean, just like Black Dessert Online, theres the Taiwan version of it and still a lot of mainland chinese players play on that server, It doens't have to be a chinese version of the game, a translation could be enough already and as you can see, there are a lot of chinese in the United States, there are so many asians in this country and that could be a good thing for it, I know there are a lot of problems with sexual content in mainland China but a translation is enough in my opinion, because I'm in a groupchat of chinese gamers, they always play games from other servers and they don't really mind the lag, I just hope we can get chinese translation.
    Again, I am not saying that I don't think it should happen, I am simply pointing out the reasons why ikt may not.

Steven has said several times that he will not have different versions of the game for different regions. Languages do not require different versions, but a change in features does.

Ashes will have same sex marriage, among other similar topics. Steven is more than aware that this will mean that the game will not be cleared for sale in China.

As such, and as I pointed out above, that means that in order for it to be worth it for Intrepid to do a chinese language version, there need to be enough people that want to play the game, speak chinese, don't speak any of the other supported languages well enough to play the game, and don't live in mainland China. That group is the only group Intrepid can aim a chinese translation at, and as I said above, Taiwan make up half of the number that it seems would be needed to make it viable.

My suggestion to you is to take these factors and look to see if it may be viable. Maybe you can find a large group of exclusively chinese speaking people that don't live in China that Intrepid were not aware of.