Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Limited aesthetics

Planet419tvPlanet419tv Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I've heard a lot of passionate ideas be shutdown by the immersion argument... Personally i'd like to know if there will be a skeleton aesthetic available for our character. I'm super excited for ashes but im worried visuals may be too limited by the idea of everything fitting strictly into ashes identity. To be honest (though its early) i dont really see ashes of creation not loosening up in the future on this front. MMO immersion will be there with all the community interactions we are starving for that ashes will fulfill but i like to go a little wild on the customization side. Im obsessed with skeletons and would pay for something unique and meaningful to me

Comments

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2021
    There is nothing resembling a skeletal cosmetic/skin so far. If that were to be a thing though, it would be a racial skin, similar to the Angel/Demon and Fire/Ice racial skins as they have said in the past that an "Undead" racial skin is a potential future idea. Whether that means skeletal or not, we don't know. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics#Racial_skins
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    Seems like they were being a holes to me. I hope you get your skeletons, I mean aren't they selling a dog with a crown on it's head. Personally I don't want a bunch of angel or devil wings but it's not going to affect my game experience to the point I want to yell at other people for. Of course you can take it a little far but I think Intrepid will keep it reasonable.
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »
    I mean aren't they selling a dog with a crown on it's head.

FFS, that fricking corgi.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The real tragedy was the cat beating the Husky.
    freaking heathens
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of being able to become a skeleton, angel or some other racially based thing willy-nilly. I don't mind them specifically, just the way you go about acquiring them. If they implemented skill tress that had certain racial skin changes, such as a Palemaster from DnD, Werewolves or Vampires from ESO, etc. I would be incredibly impressed but it would also add onto looking like said racial abnormality and not just, "because I bought it!".
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    edited February 2021
    I'd hope in terms of outfits there's a ton of diversity rather than just standard medieval/ancient Rome type aesthetics. I don't necessarily want to see characters wearing maid outfits and sweatsuits either though. Just want to see cool outfits that are more casual than warrior suits. I think being an actual skeleton is pushing it though. I'd rather have a skin where you have skeleton-like looks such as body paint and armor that resembles bones. So like a skeleton mask, an upper torso with real bones in the middle, and bones going down the legs.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

That's definitely the first thing I've seen in the cosmetic packs where I thought "Uh-oh, don't start that..."
    Most of everything else looks great, or at the very least fits the high fantasy identity that AoC is creating for itself, but I'm personally not a fan of things like the corgi with a crown... hoping it doesn't lead to lollipop weapon skins and the like. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety to provide different avenues of self expression, but there is a line I hope doesn't get crossed. Seeing as this isn't another Korean MMO, I have faith they'll keep it tasteful.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Adhonis wrote: »

That's definitely the first thing I've seen in the cosmetic packs where I thought "Uh-oh, don't start that..."
    Most of everything else looks great, or at the very least fits the high fantasy identity that AoC is creating for itself, but I'm personally not a fan of things like the corgi with a crown... hoping it doesn't lead to lollipop weapon skins and the like. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety to provide different avenues of self expression, but there is a line I hope doesn't get crossed. Seeing as this isn't another Korean MMO, I have faith they'll keep it tasteful.

I will leave this here for you, like a runny dog turd on a sidewalk.

Stuffertons.png

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would laugh hard if The Devs do give us a Skeleton Cosmetic and Necromancers can summon Skeletons. It would be the perfect camouflage if you can name the skeletons too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

Stuffertons.png

Lmao, wow. That happened, huh? I missed this one.

Really hoping they don't put out too much of this stuff... I remember when Tera first came out I really liked what I saw but wasn't able to play it at the time. Came back to the game a couple of years later ready to play only to find it was littered with players driving sports car mounts and wielding lollipop swords and candy shields. I was super disappointed and didn't even bother with the game.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Stuffertons.png

Really hoping they don't put out too much of this stuff... I remember when Tera first came out I really liked what I saw but wasn't able to play it at the time. Came back to the game a couple of years later ready to play only to find it was littered with players driving sports car mounts and wielding lollipop swords and candy shields. I was super disappointed and didn't even bother with the game.

I don't think they will. Based on what they've said about Stuffertons in the past: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stuffertons

The stuffertons mount will not be a sore thumb when it comes to matching the materials and textures that are seen in the world of Ashes. It will fit in visually, with the rest of the world. As for the lore aspect of it, in a world as magically influenced as Verra, the concept of magically animated objects are quite common. This mount stuffertons would likely have served as an Aelan, upper class gift to a university wizard's child, an animated toy that would serve its purpose as a means of transport between the mages tower and home.[2] – Steven Sharif

Stuffertons will probably be one of the most rare pieces of cosmetics.[3] – Steven Sharif

I doubt there will be anything super similar to it, and if there is, it might be a piece every now and then
  • Options

Stuffertons.png

The Stufferton is the worst thing they've done cosmetically and fortunately it is very much an outlier. I use it as an example of the kind of thing they could do, but fortunately I haven't seen anything since that's nearly as bad. I don't expect to see many of them in-game, if I ever see one at all.

I too share your annoyance with the aesthetics of TERA. I have enjoyed many aspects of that game but there is absolutely zero immersion. I have faith that AoC won't go that route of putting literally anything in the game. Race cars, boomboxes, wedding dresses, bikinis, space ships, whatever.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have faith that AoC won't go that route of putting literally anything in the game. Race cars, boomboxes, wedding dresses, bikinis, space ships, whatever.

kPqvjqP.jpg?fb

450px-Harmony_Attire.png
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Marriage
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Jamation wrote: »
    I have faith that AoC won't go that route of putting literally anything in the game. Race cars, boomboxes, wedding dresses, bikinis, space ships, whatever.

kPqvjqP.jpg?fb

450px-Harmony_Attire.png
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Marriage

That's at least appropriate to the setting. It's not like marriages wouldn't take place at all in the world.

These are what you find in TERA Online. It's soooooo much worse. It's less wedding dress, more "wedding-themed clubbing outfit".

eb3f6654045487.594ae597e0b9d.jpg

Hhak63P.png