Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob Aggro

CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Has there been a quote by the devs about whether mobs will aggro players instead of just standing around while they’re walking by?
I would want mobs that are a higher level than me to try to attack me on sight (if they’re aggressive/predatory, not like a friendly deer or sonething), otherwise the world doesn’t feel dangerous and the mobs don’t feel real at all. They feel like cheap carnival games that you can walk past until you find the one you want to do. Lower level mobs could attack on sight or ignore, I’m kind of indifferent about that.

I also distinctly remember some talk about mobs doing things in the environment not just standing around but I can’t find that quote either for some reason. Probably haven’t looked hard enough at the wiki.

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is standard mmorpg behaviour, and yes from the footage we've seen, mobs do have aggro towards players.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank you ❤️
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love a more varied aggro range too, it gets a bit too convenient when I have the aggro range more or less down and can manouver between mobs to avoid them attacking me.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There was a poll some months ago. I think 'No leash.' was victorious in the poll but my memory might have failed me.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I would love a more varied aggro range too, it gets a bit too convenient when I have the aggro range more or less down and can manouver between mobs to avoid them attacking me.

Not only range, but behaviour too! Star Wars Galaxies had some of this. Some creatures were skittish in nature and ran away when you approached them, others would be more aggressive. We could have predators stalking us, or hiding in fear (stealthed). Intelligent opponents defending a camp or base could aggro from very far away and use range attack, retreating to stay at a distance or even pursuing.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To this day, I will never forget the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time.
    After my first encounter with them, I noped hard everytime time I saw another one from a distance.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see no or limited leash. Make the world dangerous again.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I completely agree with @bloodprophet here. Aggroranges usually just have one effect: allowing players to simply run through the monsters until they reset instead of dealing with them. Which takes away from the game imo.

• Options
    maouw wrote: »
    To this day, I will never forget the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time.
    After my first encounter with them, I noped hard everytime time I saw another one from a distance.

Still do, my friend. Still do.

Can we call that "reversed aggro"?