Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to prevent aquatic mounts from making ships obsolete?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    And the reason for aquatic mounts to be faster than ships is because sea creatures are faster than sail ships.
    I'm not sure about this.

Current sail boats (specifically the AC75 class) are sailing up to speeds of just shy of 100kph. This is with 11 people on board.

While there are some fish that can swim faster than that - though only slightly - I can't find any informaiton on fish speed while carrying a passanger.

I mean, there's still time for Intrepid to incorporate a hydrofoiled racing craft into the game, but from what we've seen so far, they're going along the lines of the classic masted sail ship approach.

Given that current mounts include a giant snail, we can assume that Verra's creatures are stronger and more able than Earth's, which would imply that Verra's sea creatures will be more than capable of carrying a passenger.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    And the reason for aquatic mounts to be faster than ships is because sea creatures are faster than sail ships.
    I'm not sure about this.

Current sail boats (specifically the AC75 class) are sailing up to speeds of just shy of 100kph. This is with 11 people on board.

While there are some fish that can swim faster than that - though only slightly - I can't find any informaiton on fish speed while carrying a passanger.

Noaani would you mind quoting accurately?
    I could, but information on speeds of both AC75 and the fastest ocean creature are fairly easy to find, using sources that you trust.

The thing is, if you want to go as far as having cited sources, ones that are accurate and not estimates, then the fastest ocean creature I can find a speed for (you may find a measured speed faster, but I haven't) is actually only 75kph - slower than current sail boats.
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this.

I mean, there's still time for Intrepid to incorporate a hydrofoiled racing craft into the game, but from what we've seen so far, they're going along the lines of the classic masted sail ship approach.

Given that current mounts include a giant snail, we can assume that Verra's creatures are stronger and more able than Earth's, which would imply that Verra's sea creatures will be more than capable of carrying a passenger.
    This is absolutely 100% true.

However, I would then argue that if we are willing to assume that creatures on Verra are able top travel at speed with a passenger, we should be able to extend that suspension of belief to ships. We don't even need to extend it to the point of believing that ships powered by sail go faster than they do in real life, only that they don't need hydrofoils to go that fast.
  • Options
    @Noaani

i don't think you get what i meant.
    You quoted me on something i never said. It's Davey who said that. Please fix.
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Whoa!
    I think this is a bit risky logic for @Noaani -san.💦

I agree with your initial logic that aquatic mounts are not likely to threaten the existence value of ships.
    This is because the cargo they can carry, naval battles, and other factors are much different.

However, the example you just gave of speed is only in the real world, isn't it?
    If an aquatic mount is slower than a ship, I honestly think the only advantage it has is the possibility of being the first to get it.😖

In other words, there is a danger that no one will have an aquatic mount except for collectors.

Assuming that even the speed is inferior to the ship, I feel like we could be arguing about whether we even need an aquatic mount in the first place!😱
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2021

Assuming that even the speed is inferior to the ship, I feel like we could be arguing about whether we even need an aquatic mount in the first place!😱

That is basically what I said earlier in this thread.
    After spending a few years in Archeage with their naval content and ocean mounts, my concern is more along the lines of whether Intrepid will be able to make a place at all for ocean mounts, not the other way around.

The issue at hand is not in making sure ships have a purpose - ships will be the go-to. The issue at hand should be making sure aquatic mounts have a purpose, as there isn't an immediately obvious purpose for them.
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Noaani -san
    Oh, I see.
    I'm sorry. :s
    I guess I was too fixed in my thinking by the title of the thread……

In that sense, maybe there should be a thread discussing the need for an aquatic mount!

Either way, though, it would have to be fast enough to have a need for it. ;)

And my hope, without reason, is that it should be faster than the ship, because I want an aquatic mount for the sake of romance. lol