Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

particle effects

ashoneashone Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
How do you feel about particle effects?? Personally ,the fact that they are present in every skill animation that I have seen so far is overkill. They are in the casting and in the hit animations, which is, for me, one too many appearance.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like massed amounts of particle effects. BDO has the particle effect problem in my opinion. In older MMOs I had to wait for Graphics Cards to be 3 or 4 generations older than the game engine in order to maximise particle effects for all people on screen.

I believe massed PvP will be a big mess with tons of particle effects. I don't see why we have to have basic cosmetics for large scale PvP when much of the processing power will be taken up by Particle Effects. I understand Particle Effects can be reduced in the options though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It's over the top for sure, both particles and smoke effects on hit and in general.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Too much. The visual feedback needs to be a lot clearer and the over the top particle effects hinder that.
  • Options
    Yeah so far it is a bit beyond desirable in the videos I have seen. Hopefully they tone these down a bit before release.
  • Options
    It's concerning for me because most MMO's that have excessive particle effects are usually the poorly made ones. I believe the reason they spam particles is an attempt to give off a feeling of "quality" but it never works and it looks horrible. I'm growing more skeptical as the months go on that they will even be able to reign back the awkward/cheap appearance of the combat.
  • Options
    My though is that they are playing around to find what suits the game.

Wouldn't you do that if you had a million dollar and you were making your own game?

Particle effects takes work creating, but changing them is quite accesible.
    I saw a big purple thing covering the entire screen, I didn't like it neither and I think is worth bringing it up to the table but is not a major concern. Let them play around for a while.