Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Secret Places

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
One thing I thoroughly enjoyed in some of the earlies RGP`s I played was finding secret/hidden places.

The reward for checking behind that
  • waterfall to find a tunnel
  • climbing that near impossible mound to find a plateau
  • taking the risk of swimming up that underwater cave
  • bashing at that slightly discovered wall to find an entrance

I hope there are elements on the maps that only become revealed to these that go the extra mile to find things!

Comments

• Options
    Kr0_ValKr0_Val Member
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, incetivises adventuring to obtain secret loot that only those daring enough reap the rewards.(Make it challenging) Should be loot that is rare, not something many others might have. Also perhaps scale drop potential by discoverability so the more people who loot it, less chance of something rare being dropped. But still worth the venture. As eventually "hidden" spots will become well known? But this can be adjusted with regular content changes/Randomly generated in set locations?
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm rushing behind waterfalls in every game I play, so I'm glad there's plenty of that going around :D

If it's technically possible, I'd love to see Node evolve OR degenerate, or randomly generate stuff as it goes through the seasons!

And if I'm lucky enough to find it ...... I'll tell only my closest friends and hide the info ! B)
  • Options
    I hope that the map does not show everything and that there are random generated locations for somethings so all have to learn the game and interact with the community, not just look for 5min then read the wiki.
  • Options
    Yeah, even if it's just for a little Easter-egg that has no real in-game importance, it's nice to have something to reward the effort involved in getting somewhere.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DonZerefDonZeref Member
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the information, it will be useful to me since I am new.
  • Options
    I hope they have hidden quest lines you can find. Nothing is quite so entertaining as that search for the hidden treasure, like the Goonies hunt for One eye Willies treasure. I just think these may be more difficult to create given the changing nature of the game world.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally love the idea. I check every nook and cranny I can get to just to see what is there.
    I like when dev's hide stuff for others to find.
    Rift before they added the first raid had BIS warrior shield on an un-named easily skipable mob in a level 50 dungeon. Most people ran right past him till someone pointed out where it was.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love secret locations and not only that but secret quests and content that the devs simply don't fully inform us about and it is up to us to discover these things.
  • Options
    Totally agree these should be added. However, very often in games exploring such secrets is unrewarding.

I suggest adding achievements with rewards and possible good drops from hidden chests for example, to encourage player exploration and conflict in open world.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love this idea. I won't be playing a rogue but I am really excited to see what area they open up in dungeons. There is so much opportunity with this idea. Even from an exploration perspective, unique little areas that game designers throw in are just awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Already like the idea of seasonal areas opening up and closing off.

Also thought of secret places that perhaps becore accessible/inaccessible
    • Due to weight (too heavy, too light)
    • Item in possession
    • Racial Bias
    • Class Bias (solo or group makeup)
    • Quest matrix makeup of those within a group
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes hidden treasures I believe you will see plenty of, all the more reason to bring a rogue if you want to find them. I'm really happy they've decided to include rogues into dungeons for traps and treasure so they don't get kicked to the curb like in so many other games.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Options
    I wonder if secret areas will be fixed locations or if there will be random ones based on the node development.
    What also would be nice is that has a node that develops that we get clues from NPC's with secret locations. I love spending hours on these treasure hunts hihi
  • Options
    Skyri02Skyri02 Member
    edited May 2022
    How would you guys feel about having a really hard mysterious long quest chain given by de devs for the community to solve together by discussion on discord?

I am talking about something similar to this 2 quest that has been in World of Warcraft:
    * How to Get the Lucid Nightmare Mount
    * How to Get the Jenafur

Here is the video about them

Lucid Nightmare starts 0:56 in the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-syYsY3uHA
    Jenafur
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFrNs9x5jB8

This type of quest was well recived by the comunity but they are single player made. But it was social because the community had to help eachother to solve it.

Another intressting secret stuff that World of Warcraft do well is location that can get triggered by doing the "right thing". I will give some examples and some ideas of stuff that could be nice to have as secret stuff.

* Mysterious circle
    You find a mysterious circle somwhere and nothing happens when you are there, but If you and some friends just suddenly started to dance for whatever reason in this circle it would suddently spawn a mob! The reward would be something fun like a cosmetic pice of skin/tabard/housing item or a cosmetic pet.

Stuff like this is just fun to have in the world. and ofc it would in the future be put up on youtube how to do it thats preventable. And if the dev team have time they can sometimes remove secret location like this and put it somewhere else or make a completly different hidden location about something else somewhere else.
    gdhhruujj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFT6rq0Fj8

* 3 mysterious flat stones in the river.
    hrruru.jpg

You are alone near the river and jump on one of this stones and then jump off and continue on ur journey, nothing happens.

Another day there is a group of 3 players near this river. That suddenly decides to cross it together. By randomness all 3 of the players jumps on a seperate stone at the same time. Suddenly the stones are glowing and blue glowing circles are rising from all the stones like soap bubbles. A small creature emerges from the glittering water. If you click it you will obtain this creature as a cosmetic pet.
    wwtwt.jpg
    This would never happen if this 3 players didnt stand on the rocks at the same time.

*The fisherman
    In a location somewhere remote there is a fisherman npc with a open box near him with different fishing gear inside it. You cant talk to this npc and nothing is around him. So you just decide to leave.

But another player decides to look around... and moves the mouse over this box with random fishing stuff. the mouse if hovering over a fishing net, nothing happens, then.. when he get the mouse to this tiny can with worms in it the mouse light up that you can klick it. When you do the fisherman turns to you and gives you a quest.
    gtwtwt.jpg
    Only players that like to look around will be able to find this secret quest or ofc by accident xD like wait a minute......i can klick this?

* Random camping stuff up a mountain?
    Imagine you are discovering the world of verra and decide you want to go to the top of this mountain and only to find the remains of someone who died there? there is random stuff that did belong to this dead man. If you dont look around you will never notice a small neckless hanging from his backpack. You click this neckless it will give you a quest.
    gfsgddhy.jpg

* The strange big stone circle.
    You are riding on ur horse and suddently you see strange looking stones that is placed like a circle. You decide to investigate. When you stand in this cricle you hear whispering sounds and alot of fireflies starts to fly around this stones. If you click a spesific firefly (one with a broken wing, hard to see if you dont look close) it will spawn a tresure of some sort.

this fireflie wont show any indication that you can click/target them. because you cant. There is only 1 you can click. so even if you would tab to try find an "enemy" it would not work.

If you would leave the area because you dont know what to do the fireflies will fade away and so would the whispering.
    gdghdhh.jpg

*mysterious tree
    I would love to this something like this in the game, its sooo beautiful, the song and look of it, amazing.
    This just looks like a beautiful big tree. But if exactly 8 players would play a instrument at the exact time the sun is about to go down this wonderful event would happen. That could possible open a secret cave/door or maybe a cave underground with some treasures?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9PlPTErKE

*Coin in the ocean
    When you swim in the ocean, you find on the bottom, a verry verry small coin that you cant see if you are not looking really good.
    This coin will give you a mysterious quest chain.

* The barn quest
    many ppl have quested in this barn before. The quest is to save 2 horses thats tied up inside the burning barn.
    What ppl dont know is that there is a hidden quest inside this burning barn. if you are inside the barn and decide to look whats more inside it you will only find alot of boxes. If you decide to jump up on them you will notice a shelf that has a book on it. If you klick this book it will give you a mysterious quest.

Hidden creepy stuff in verra that is a mysterious and dont do anything?
    In this video there is harmless creepy stuff thats just intresting to find. Maybe have some similar in Verra :smiley:
    Starts at 1:00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKr7ASKtfo&t=424s
  • Options
    -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    I would love to find a secret door in the mountains that can only been seen in the moonlight just like in The Lord of the Rings! That would be awesome! B)

The other secret places that would be exciting to find could be a hidden island in the middle of a misty sea and a hidden path in a forest that could lead into a magical grove or grotto.
  • Options
    Nothing will be secret for long, but the best way to keep a place relatively secret is to make sure very few people care about it. The easiest way to make people care about it is to give a reward, the better the reward, the faster the news will spread.

An item. An a tittle. An achievement. Anything at all and you'll have people looking for the secret place where the reward can be found. The greater it is perceived, the more people will be looking for it, then lining for it or fighting over it.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In L2, on top of the highest mountain in the world, was a large tablet with the initials of all the developers inscribed on it. Anyone else go there and see it?
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    See and this all seems like a great way to be rewarded by a few rocks in a cave somewhere, perhaps with someones name on it. It would honestly just enhance the experience.
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    Nothing will be secret for long, .

I am hoping very much that a few pop-up places and secret places are node specific and also server specific such that there is lesser chance that someone can post a walkthrough, make a youtube video for the game as a whole and cover everything.

Had great times in the early Baldur`s Gate and similar old games finding easter egg places.. back in the day if you did not find it yourself, you did not find it!

• Options
    In addition to being node specific, some secrets could disappear once interacted with and respawn somewhere else in the world after x time. By theme, some secrets could spawn on mountains only, or in caves, or underwater at sea or near shores, etc. If the location isn't fixed, some official acknowledgement of the finding is ok. Tittle, achievement or a vanity item (housing decoration, no-stats wearable, ...).

Anything making me wonder how it got there or why is there are the kind of secrets I love to find. A music box playing if you interact with it, a well in the middle of a desert/nowhere, a bathtub on the summit of a mountain, a sunken ship (warship at the bottom of a small lake for extra points).

What would be very neat would be if some of these were the leftovers of a destroyed/abandoned node. Like finding an nonworking crafting station in what was once a village but now is returned to it's natural state, or a corruption site.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I wonder if all of the ideas here could be procedurally instantiated randomly across nodes across realms? That would eliminate the YouTube spoiler effect.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Secret places aces aces... Unexplained structures. Extraterrestrial buildings ings ings ings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYBo-1HoDg
  • Options
    A related question:

What could incentivize ppl to *not* reveal every single secret place they've found?

Coz given the abundance of online guides / wikis / fandoms nowadays, no secret remain secret for long, and there goes the fun & excitement ... :/
  • Options
    Quite some time back, Steven talk about, a lake might freeze over doing the winter. But when it's not frozen, you could swim down in it, and find a secret area. Or something like that
  • Options
    A related question:

What could incentivize ppl to *not* reveal every single secret place they've found?
    ... :/

limited/rare drops or buffs specific to secret areas. Anyone who posts basically shoots themselves or clan in the foot.