Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

designing In-game Tutorials for Ashes.

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
https://youtu.be/k_rpiOngVhY With the help of the forums and reddit I take a look at how to design the tutorials for Ashes of Creation. Enjoy :slight_smile:
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    Good video Wandering Mist. :smiley: I like the idea of the "Codex" when entering an area of new content-types. Asking players if they would like to know additional information about X. And for those that do, can click 'yes' and broaden their knowledge-base. And for those that do not; can click 'no' and continue on their way.

The "Death Recap" is a great idea as well. I mean, if there is a 30-60 second death penalty anyways, might as well learn more details about what caused you to die in the first place.

Something else that just came to my mind while watching your video is; During the character creation, what if the game asks; "What is your experience-level with MMOs?" If someone answers 5+ years playing MMOs, they might be able to avoid some of the more (obvious to them) nagging tutorial information. While other's that answer; "This is my first time playing an MMO" - might be prompted with tutorial information suited for them.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    Awesome video, right on point IMO.
    Your method of implementing a tutorial wouldn't obstruct me playing the game, which is exactly what I need and I suspect many others would feel the same.
    I quickly forget things that aren't relevant at the time (IRL I have to dismiss volumes of irrelevant info to complete the task at hand. Now my brain is wired to work that way) so an "old school" tutorial is useless to me.
    The codex idea would let me figure things out later, when I need them.

Thank you for the time and effort that you put into researching this feature with the community and communicating a workable solution so well.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Lore Dynamic @McMackMuck thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. <3
    volunteer_moderator.gif