Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New Lazy Peon video, and some thoughts on how MMOs have become lobby based games.

13»

Comments

• Options
    I'm a solo player most of the time and this stereotyping of wanting everything fast and easy is snobbish none sense. Sure, there are whiners out there, but that has little to do with preferring to play solo or in group. Some people even prefer to play in group because it's easier that way.

Some form of solo play is essential in a MMO. If you can't do anything on your own the servers will be a wasteland in the offpeak hours.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    I'm a solo player most of the time and this stereotyping of wanting everything fast and easy is snobbish none sense. Sure, there are whiners out there, but that has little to do with preferring to play solo or in group. Some people even prefer to play in group because it's easier that way.

Some form of solo play is essential in a MMO. If you can't do anything on your own the servers will be a wasteland in the offpeak hours.

As sad as it may seem, stereotyping exists cause it does define the majority of a group. Sure, there are always exceptions, but the chances are more than likely that it hits the nail on the head rather than not.

And yes, some solo play is not bad, and in fact there does need to be the ability to solo play to an extent. The problem arises when the game has to be watered down in order to allow solo play rather than just making a point at which solo play is non-feasible anymore. A player who can solo through a game ment for a group is a very skilled and talented player and will find a lot of enjoyment and richness in being able to do so, however, a solo player going through a watered down game that lowers its hardness level in order to allow them to complete the game solo will find themselves hopping to other games pretty fast. That is what has been happening, a lot of game hopping cause the game they are currently playing becomes to easy and lackluster to play.
  • Options
    "If Ashes of Creation fails, I'll probably just stop covering MMOs altogether, honestly. Um, that's the one game that I feel has the best chance and is actually attempting to hit the potential of the massively multiplayer aspect of this genre..."

- LazyPeon @ 10:35

This is a very impactful statement and shows just how serious people (and content creators) are about Ashes of Creation's success. You can almost feel, in his tone and expressions, how tired and dejected he is. And that AoC really is his last and final hope...

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    Agree 100% and things like auto group this and auto raid that have made it worse.

I don’t get why with today’s technology things such as “instanced” dungeons are debatable. Because here’s the point. An instanced dungeon shouldn’t feel like you leave your world and with today’s technology it’s just not that hard to toss a mini dungeon together for a group completing a crafting quest, but at the same time that group should form in the game world, leave town to head to that large canyon that normal mining hsppens in. Get to said canyon (getting attacked periodically on the way because your s group it’s a wagon. Get there, follow the scroll your handed, arrive at X marked spot. Use the “camouflage” anti spell the quest giver gave you and pop. A cave door appears, you and your group enter and one of (20 but always adding more) crafting dungeons happen. At the end you mine X ore which gives you special alteration mats to give a sword “water healing” adding an extra 10 hips to each HOT heal. My point..

In today’s day and age with things like Unreal 5 coming, there’s no reason to divide. The “lobby” should always be the gaming world..

That’s a mini example how I’d do some quest and some professions.

Don’t get me started on Lazy Character design of modern MMO’s and what I would do.

NO LOBBY.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is a pretty good video related to the main topic of the thread for anyone interested.

A long watch, but nerdSlayer puts out good videos imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIsv6ESBFrU&
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    They don't have or want the attention span required to play a game for 40 days at 6 hours a day just to reach cap, and start the real game.
    Steven doesn't want that either - thank goodness. That's precisely what's wrong with current MMORPGs.
    In Ashes, the real game is from leaving character creation on - there are many different types of progression "cap" besides just max Adventurer level and many of those progression paths can fall back to zero or one.

Also...most of the MMORPG players who had time to play 6 hours per day, now have jobs and families and kids that preclude playing 6 hours per day, so....expect most Ashes players to be some form of casual.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    They don't have or want the attention span required to play a game for 40 days at 6 hours a day just to reach cap, and start the real game.
    Steven doesn't want that either - thank goodness. That's precisely what's wrong with current MMORPGs.
    In Ashes, the real game is from leaving character creation on - there are many different types of progression "cap" besides just max Adventurer level and many of those progression paths can fall back to zero or one.

Also...most of the MMORPG players who had time to play 6 hours per day, now have jobs and families and kids that preclude playing 6 hours per day, so....expect most Ashes players to be some form of casual.

Nah, they just won't play Ashes. Not when they can spend their less than six hours of daily game time on other games that reward you more for the time they have.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Says the player overly obsessed with risk v reward.
  • Options
    Says the player overly obsessed with risk v reward.

I am not obsessed. I just have to keep pointing out that Risk Vs Reward is a core design focus because people on the forums seem not to understand or ignore what that means.

Likely because they have never played a game where Risk Vs Reward is a core design focus.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    You assume you understand what that means even though what you seem to assume it means doesn't agree with how Steven and Jeffrey describe Risk v Reward in Ashes.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    You assume you understand what that means even though what you seem to assume it means doesn't agree with how Steven and Jeffrey describe Risk v Reward in Ashes.

• Options
    in his New, New video peon seems to be enjoying the game quite a bit. The game's spell effects and environment art/effects combine for some insanely cool gameplay. I can only imagine how good it will look once we start getting close to a launch.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Truth.
  • Options

Pretty sure Steven's definition is the only one that matters at this point.

A definition that is well understood by those raised in Aden.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited August 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    One thing I love that Ashes is doing:
    • You can't do everything yourself
    • So you need other people do get things done
    • And you need to do things for other people

I truly believe it's the defining characteristic of a good MMO.
    Build an identity, find your unique place in a living community, cooperate with/against other communities to leave a lasting impact on the world.

Well said!

A game where this means something: 'So-and-so, that was great heals/tanking/buffs/snares! Can I put you on my friends list? We're doing such-and-such dungeon tomorrow, would be great to have you with us.'
  • Options
    Pretty sure Steven's definition is the only one that matters at this point.
    Exactly.