Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let´s talk about Mounts, how to take the next step

RamirezRamirez Member
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
Ok looks like this devs are giving the next step in mmorpg.
So i have watching all streams and in every one i saw to much focus in mounts, and plan for new ones, but they just look Collectible to be in the inventory or just show off in the city....

Why not take the next step and do something like Albion online for example, i will explain for people that don´t know the mmorpg.

Albion online is an mmorpg pvp/economy/politic oriented, here mounts are very important, ashes of creation will be something similar so let s talk

First off all, for what i saw in the video and i know still an alpha, when you mount, can´t be instant like that, atleast in open world pvp game, because you will always outrun the ganker, or the oposite, ganker will mount instantly and catch you, should be a channeled spell, which can be interrupted and when you dismount you should have a global Cooldown.

Then albion have other system when player mounts and then dismounts, a range circle from the mount will appear which indicates that the player cannot go further than the circle without losing the carry weight capacity, if you leave the circle mount disappear , and if you carry more that you can you will start to walk really slow, this is a great feature when you are farming solo, and you see the ganker you can mount instantly if you didn´t leave the radious area... If you leave you need to summon the mount again.

Your mount have HP so to dismount you, players/mobs will need to take down your mount first, so it s important the mount that you pick in diferent situations.

Then why not different tears for mounts? In albion is simple you have 8 tiers for horse and ox, you can breed in your farm,
Higher the horse tier, more speed, more resilience, more expensive, great to long travels but a little squishy
Ox you can carry more loot in your bag , are more slow but much more resiliente then an horse can hold more time again ganks and mobs

Then you have exotic and battle mounts (this ones don´t have tears) that you can be luckly to adquire a cub killing the respective animal in the biome or buying in action house.

Like farming some wolfs , bear, mammoth you have a small chance to adquire a cub, that you can sell or breed in your farm(wild animals have low chance to breed another cub you need to have luck), they are really expensive and some of them have habilities .

Some of this can carry more people , or channeling summon faster, can have a simple sprint or even a charge that knock back players ( for example i imagine that in your rhyno)

Some are authentic war machines with 3, 4 skills like the mammoth , aoe that increase defense to surrounding players, a skill to that make shake the floor and knock oposity players, charge and is really tank usefull for front big scale wars....

Other great feature is that you can craft armor for your mounts then you will have armored horse, or armored bear with more resilience, or you can get special items in dungeons like for example an item that you apply in you horse and completely transform him in a shadow horse or lava horse...

Now the final verdict is why mounts are so valuable in that game ? Because you can lose them when you die for other player... Then you ask me "hey and my beautiful mount that i buy in the microtrasations shop i will lose?" Simple, they dont sell mounts on the shop, what they sell is skins for the different mounts that you can apply always you want in that expecific mount

I know that is to harcore lose your mount in a game, but this is the way to turn the economy and breeding system around mounts relevant, intrepid studios can thing in other way then lose to other players, like mounts having a life spawn or mounts have some resistence that is losing after you die some amount of times with the mount in the bag..

You still can have microtransactions but instead of mounts you sell skins for the available mounts in game.

What you think about?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The mounts sold in the shop are skins you apply to the correct tier of mount.
    There was a good thread recently about mount mortality and many of us agree with you. No solid word from Intrepid on this. Maybe post the question for the next Q&A.
    As for mount skills we don't have enough information yet but interesting idea.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.