Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Female vs Male Mount riding pose/positioning animation

Frosty CoffeeFrosty Coffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Now while I haven't really dived deep into this (research wise) but immersion wise; will we as the player be able to see different Male vs Female character poses for each mount or will it be generically be all the same or similar? I have seen different games do this differently and was wondering what Intrepid's take on this would be?

However, this could also be a discussion as to what others think of different poses for immersion could be. Such as while in combat or riding into a war situation. The situation could be more heated so the player could have a more aggressive pose while riding a mount animation wise. Please share your thoughts.

Female Example: wolf_boi.png

Male Example: Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Wolf-Mount.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Currently, male and female characters ride mounts the same way with no option to side-saddle.

I don't have a strong opinion on this. I don't see an issue with allowing players to ride their mounts side-saddle.
  • Options
    Yeah they should just be able to pick which way they want to sit, though it might look odd for underwater mounts
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 2021
    I'm not against the idea by any means but I don't feel its needed.

Its not as simple as having a 'sit side saddle' toggle. New models, designs and animations would need to be created to allow this.

I live in a ranching area (high desert rural Arizona) and there aren't any side saddles. Perhaps they still use them in England for pleasure riding, but I doubt they would in a working scenario.
  • Options
    I understand this but i dont think its a good idea since it can break immersion, in a war a woman wouldnt sit like that on her mount. About the feature of toggling it on/off or toggling which way you want to sit, is bad because people simply wont toggle it off which again, breaks immersion. However, im not against slight changes depending on speed/situation. Like, men will casually hold onto the mount with one hand when strodding through the town, but grip the mount tightly with both hands if speeding through a dangerzone.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I definitely want my male tank Dünir to charge into battle side-saddle ;)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    pyreal wrote: »
    I'm not against the idea by any means but I don't feel its needed.

This is exactly my thought as well.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, way. I hate the side-saddle riding. It looks dumb. Especially at higher speeds. It would also just make anyone using that style look incompetent.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Side-saddle is to preserve modesty while wearing a skirt. It's a completely impractical way to ride. And it would have nothing to do with gender; I'm sure we'll have many robe options for male characters that have skirts. Really, riding a mount while wearing a skirt is impractical if you care about the skirt riding up to your waist.

I'm not sure if there will be a proper solution for characters with skirts to avoid clipping. We'll have to wait and see.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    No, way. I hate the side-saddle riding. It looks dumb. Especially at higher speeds. It would also just make anyone using that style look incompetent.

This! There's no way you could stay on the saddle at a gallop if you were side-saddle.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    KhiitoKhiito Member
    edited February 2023
    I would definitively prefer same riding pose :|
  • Options
    Not even into beta and we’ve already got people sad about the ladies not riding their mounts sexily enough
  • Options
    I could see this work as a pose when you are not riding the mount just standing still. But as people said its just something thats not functional.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Atama wrote: »
    Side-saddle is to preserve modesty while wearing a skirt. It's a completely impractical way to ride. And it would have nothing to do with gender; I'm sure we'll have many robe options for male characters that have skirts. Really, riding a mount while wearing a skirt is impractical if you care about the skirt riding up to your waist.

I'm not sure if there will be a proper solution for characters with skirts to avoid clipping. We'll have to wait and see.

When in doubt: magic!

I'm interested to see how they solve this too.
    Especially that Victorian dress in the recent cosmetics pack - how do you put a crinoline on horseback?
    Maybe the fabric magically multiplies and the character just pokes out of a cushion of material?
    Maybe the character just stands on the saddle like a circus act. Maybe on one leg. Add a pirouette. Some juggling balls.

Edit: Copy these guys! Hide the legs
    stock-photo-a-young-woman-in-a-white-dress-sitting-side-saddle-on-a-horse-450w-15642316.jpg
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    :# I would hate to be forced to ride side-saddle... If it´s optional no worry. But, developers might have other priorities.

[]s
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Especially that Victorian dress in the recent cosmetics pack - how do you put a crinoline on horseback?

And, what about when that character enters the water? That dress is going to floof up something shocking!
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Not even into beta and we’ve already got people sad about the ladies not riding their mounts sexily enough

There is nothing sexy about not understanding how to correctly and safely ride a mount. To me it doesn't come off as modest, but more an unwillingness to learn correct riding. Which is not an attractive feature.

Also I have all of alpha and beta to argue anything and everything.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Sidesaddle riding is exactly the same as armor with a visible chest. It may not be the "perfectly efficient" way, but it's reasonable and in many cases probably more comfortable to use it. Especially with a long skirt or a super wide animal it looks uncomfortable and almost silly to have your legs spread like a gymnast.

Rather than as a toggle, since they do plan to implement different kinds of saddles, it would be cool if side saddles were part of those options. Not every kind of saddle needs a side option, but I'm sure there's room in the world for it. Once it is available, the player economy can decide whether it becomes widespread or just an option for heavy roleplayers who don't want to see their skirts clipping.
  • Options
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    or just an option for heavy roleplayers who don't want to see their skirts clipping.

Would you be happy, from an RP perspective, for the side-saddle pose to only allow a slow trot, since you'd just fall off a horse if trying to side-saddle at a gallop?
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    since you'd just fall off a horse if trying to side-saddle at a gallop?

Sorry, but that is just perpetuating a silly stereotype. Here's an example of a rider not only galloping, but jumping in sidesaddle:
    https://youtu.be/szeRobRvK8I
  • Options
    It's a canter, at best, and you can see how unsteady she is in the saddle on each landing.
  • Options
    @Beekeeper you are using a example of someone who is hyper specialized in riding, making attempts record attempts at what could be possible. In a controlled, practiced, and non-combat environment. Sure we are talking about fantasy here, but some things look worst than super natural. To me this is one of them.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Women in sidesaddles also went hunting, among other things. A sidesaddle allows the rider to hook her leg around the pommel at the front, which is a lot more secure than simply squeezing your thighs against the sides of the animal.

But none of that matters anyway, it's splitting hairs at best. It's a viable form of riding. Who cares if I can't joust in sidesaddle? Nobody asked for that.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    It's a canter, at best, and you can see how unsteady she is in the saddle on each landing.

https://youtu.be/V0xj-IKfCbY
    She's not unsteady, that's just normal riding form.
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    I live in a ranching area (high desert rural Arizona) and there aren't any side saddles. Perhaps they still use them in England for pleasure riding, but I doubt they would in a working scenario.

From a little online research, riding side saddle fell out of practice 1900-1950. The Queen of England rode side saddle for ceremonies principally because her formal clothing is a dress. She is an accomplished horse rider and still rides in her 90s (try telling her not to!), normally astride a horse. Other than that side saddle only gets used for period dramas or historical re-enactment. I love that you thought we might still be using it in England. Classic! Props to Downton Abbey for that one!
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    From a little online research, riding side saddle fell out of practice 1900-1950.

There are many reasons for that, not the least of which are cars and bicycles replacing animals as the most popular way to get somewhere, the fact that horses required more room/money than regular working and middle class were willing to spend, and the popularisation of trousers for women. The invention of pants (as in underpants) also played a role, because if you're clothed in 5 skirts but not wearing pants and do the splits, you'll still have your bare bottom on the saddle.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just want to say, I am genuinely impressed at those side saddle videos.

I do get the impression that it's less practical though.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    BeekeeperBeekeeper Member
    edited March 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    I do get the impression that it's less practical though.

For mounted combat, maybe. I don't see why it would be less comfortable/practical than other forms in general use though, especially since the invention of the more specialized sidesaddles.

Damensattel.jpg

1024px-Horsemanship_for_Women_111.png

Granted, these are all newer designs from the 1830s, but sidesaddles have been a thing since the 14th century, sidesaddle riding since even earlier, and had it been a priority, I'm sure "saddles that allow people in skirts, dresses and robes to ride comfortable" would've been invented far sooner. The usual solution would've been a carriage, which is far from independent.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    You would not really see a medieval woman or her fictional counterpart riding side saddle unless they were nobility and she had a retinue of people to guide her horse for her. We in the 21st century look back at the past through the lens that was the Victorian Era, which causes us to look at historical people as "prude" or "overly modest".

As mentioned above, the sidesaddle as we know it wasn't invented until the first half of the 1800s, and was really only done prior to that by royalty and women who needed to "prove their virginity". However it was still acceptable at this time for a woman to ride as a "passenger" on the back of a horse behind a man, straddling it. There's really no recorded use of a sidesaddle prior to the end of 14th century, which is pushing Renaissance Era rather than Middle Ages. These truly were "sideways facing" saddles, basically a stool with a C shaped back rest, so you could sit with both legs on one side of the horse.

Interestingly enough, this method was impossible to control your own horse until 200 years later in the 16th century when they added the pommel to hook a leg over, allowing side saddlers to control their own horse. It would have been fairly impossible until the Tudor Era for a side saddler to even be by themselves on a horse.

They also weren't as safe as you'd think, as the need to rely on stirrups was increased for balance, and that increased the chance of being dragged by your foot being caught in a stirrup if you fell.

So for a full "immersion" aspect of it, you'd need a groom to lead your mount around for you as you sat sidesaddle, unless Intrepid wanted to anachronize a modern saddle into their game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    BeekeeperBeekeeper Member
    edited March 2021
    Karthos wrote: »
    Unless Intrepid wanted to anachronize a modern saddle into their game.

It's not even a question of the saddle itself, just being allowed to put your leg to the side. I brought up sidesaddle saddles specifically because saddles ARE an item, and I'd find it neater to have riding animations tied to the saddle than having a toggle button pop up while on a horse. That stuff always looks like rough and unfinished design to me.

In general though, with how wild and diverse the mounts are, I find it a bit silly when people are unquestionably opposed to allowing people to ride a little fancier by putting a leg to the side. It's really not that outlandish to sit sidesaddle while riding my really cool fantasy mount.
  • Options
    neemneem Member
    edited March 2021
    As someone who has been riding lots of horses for a looooong while now, I would NEVER ride sidesaddle if I had the choice. Why do you think you only see it in parades and shows still?
    However, if you really want to show off your awesomesauce pixel sidesaddle skills, maybe the aoc team could make a skin that does exactly that. Know that if I'd see you hobble by on my server, I'm willing to get corrupted over that.
    DV8aRXV.png