Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Ban Hammers?

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Greetings. First, I never have advocated a BAN HAMMER as silencing those that disagree with me or my friends. Exception being personal threats (not imagined but written). Unsubstantiated threats like 'he's high on drugs' or that person 'really pisses me off' does not rise to that level, in my opinion. I'm wondering about those meting out justice as 'white knights'? Are you or they in favor of the BAN HAMMER? If so why? Much Love. <3

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've often felt kind of subdued on the forums when I see someone has been banned. I understand people should be banned but must those banned people remain like ghosts on the threads?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Rules here really aren't strict. I'm all in favor of banning people when they can't even follow them.

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    /e adjusts his glasses
    Rules are rules.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am a bit proud that the first person ever banned from the boards (one of the older boards) got banned by Steven himself after going off on me. (I didn’t report it myself, I even thought it was funny, I wasn’t upset.) But yeah that was a pretty extreme situation, it takes a lot to get banned here.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    :o@pyreal IF that's your real name? What rules are you referring to? Be specific? Please elucidate us?

Is that the ever encompassing rule six? Be well unto others, and respect each other. (No hate speech, racism, sexism, politics, religion, suicidal ideation, excessive trolling, toxicity, etc.)

I could find a reason to BAN HAMMER anyone on that charge?

Skaff.

I'm not referring to any specific rules. The rules are the rules, the ToS are the ToS. Follow them or get the boot. If someone gets the boot they are probably a dick and get off on being rotten.
    Throwing out the rotten apples saves the good ones.

• Options
    I agree with @pyreal.
    If you want to participate in something, you have to follow the rules. Its pretty easy. If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
    I just cant understand how some people get upset when they get banned, when they're the one that choose to not follow the rules.

• Options
    RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @pyreal "I'm not referring to any specific rules. The rules are the rules, the ToS are the ToS. Follow them or get the boot. If someone gets the boot they are probably a dick and get off on being rotten.
    Throwing out the rotten apples saves the good ones."

OR 'one rotten apple ruins the bunch.' Be honest, are you on Zoom in High School? I'm a teacher.
    Clichés are kitsch.

What does being a teacher have to do with anything? Hell, as a teacher shouldn't you be advocating for people to follow the rules?

@pyreal made the perfect response. They have their rules and ToS. Break those at your own discretion. What more needs to be said?
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    @pyreal "I'm not referring to any specific rules. The rules are the rules, the ToS are the ToS. Follow them or get the boot. If someone gets the boot they are probably a dick and get off on being rotten.
    Throwing out the rotten apples saves the good ones."

OR 'one rotten apple ruins the bunch.' Be honest, are you on Zoom in High School? I'm a teacher.
    Clichés are kitsch.

Maybe cliches are proverbs, and the error lies with those who don't listen.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we are talking perma-bans.
    I am more of a fan of rules being guidelines. Sometimes things get heated and people act out. Most things that happen online are relatively forgivable. Maybe just give someone a couple day brake over a perma-ban. Realistically I think they should only hand out bans for repeated and purposeful bad behavior. Every situation is different and should have a human with good judgment look at it before handing out bans. Were all here to have fun, permanently taking away someone source of fun over a mistake seems like a overaction.

Also I can't stress enough that no bans should be automated. Youtube automates a lot of its admin tasks, I think we can all think of a few youtubers we like who have been the victim of targeted attacks that abuse the content strike or other parts of the automated administration system they have in place. The same thing happens in MMOs. I think a guild mass reported a guy to prevent him from obtaining scrub lord in classic WOW.

Remember this is a game were talking about.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    As long as I'm allowed to spawn camp someone with being permanently banned, I don't have any issues.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    lolz
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Greetings. First, I never have advocated a BAN HAMMER as silencing those that disagree with me or my friends. Exception being personal threats (not imagined but written). Unsubstantiated threats like 'he's high on drugs' or that person 'really pisses me off' does not rise to that level, in my opinion. I'm wondering about those meting out justice as 'white knights'? Are you or they in favor of the BAN HAMMER? If so why? Much Love. <3

I am in favor if someone is only here to troll and not offer a constructive discussion.
  • Options
    The "ban hammer" isn't for silencing people that disagree with you. It's for removing people that can't behave to the required standard. Due to the declining state of society, it will always be necessary.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @skafftaruss if you believe someone on the forums has been treated unfairly please reach out to the moderator team or the Community Manager to discuss it privately.

A public thread like this isn't the place for such conversations. This thread will now be closed.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.