Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Petition to make seas bluer.

fran196fran196 Member
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
I think seas should be bluer, so i made this:

Comments

• Options
    rpgmaniacrpgmaniac Member
    edited February 2021
    Totally agree with that, the way the seas look was kind of disappointing, also underwater swimming lack any kind of realism, it's like swimming in space, there is no movement of water around you, no bubbles no nothing, it's looks so fake, devs have a lot of work to do on that front to make it look good & realistic.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The original looks far more realistic.

The edited version looks more like it is from a game made by someone that hasn't spent much time on the coast.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have seen all of the worlds oceans. It is different everywhere. Some places look so blue it or green it seems unreal. Other places can be kinda dull. Both screenshots are perfectly valid.

Personally I like the more vibrant edited one though. I Install reshade and crank the vibrance in a lot of games.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 2021
    I think the orig is more realist as well. Puerto Rico:

IMG-20180722-091557374.jpg
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

The edited version looks more like it is from a game made by someone that hasn't spent much time on the coast.

Well, I live on a coast and I can tell you that the edited version is way closer to real than the original. Maybe a deeper blue.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    fran196 wrote: »
    Well, I live on a coast and I can tell you that the edited version is way closer to real than the original. Maybe a deeper blue.
    Cool story bro.

I live on an island.

We have many coasts, there is coast in all directions.

While some coastal water is indeed fairly blue, it is not as blue as it is in the edited picture, and definitely not from that angle, not with land on the other side.

If the view was from higher up, and/or was looking out to open ocean that got deep very quickly, it could well be that color - on a clear day. The haze that is evident in the original makes the original look bluer than it should be, and the edit look cartoonish.
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    https://imgur.com/gallery/CviSwFZTo be honest, I think both oceans are right.

The image shows a place called Shirahama in Japan.
    It is less than 100 km away from where I live, but it is a very beautiful sea.

On the other hand, the sea near my house is gray 😅
  • Options
    The image shows a place called Shirahama in Japan.

No haze, higher angle, open ocean out to the left of the image.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that image had been edited in some manner, but it does have all three of the things going for it that the image in the OP didn't, the things that make the edit look wrong.
  • Options
    @Noaani -san
    To be honest, I considered the possibility of editing because it is so beautiful lol.

However, I can assure you that it was clearly clearer and more beautiful than the sea near my house, as I have seen it with my own eyes in the past! ;)

As you go south, the quality of the beach becomes coral corpses instead of soil, so those are also factors that greatly affect the beauty of the sea 👍️
  • Options
    @Noaani -san
    To be honest, I considered the possibility of editing because it is so beautiful lol.

However, I can assure you that it was clearly clearer and more beautiful than the sea near my house, as I have seen it with my own eyes in the past! ;)

As you go south, the quality of the beach becomes coral corpses instead of soil, so those are also factors that greatly affect the beauty of the sea 👍️

The coral does have an effect on the overall appeal of a place like that, but does not specifically (to my knowledge, at least) have a direct effect on the "blueness" of the ocean.

As I said though, since it is open ocean to the left of the picture (south west I believe) and since the angle is slightly higher than the picture in the OP, and the total lack of any environmental haze make your picture and the blue in it much more believable than the edited OP pic
  • Options
    Hahaha!
    I was just thinking after I wrote that Noaani-san would point out the relationship between coral sand and blue.lol

I'm glad you think it's credible!

Well, beauty such as the blue of the ocean is really created by many factors, so I'd be happy if the diversity of having some gray oceans and some beautiful blue oceans could be implemented!
    (I'm speaking irresponsibly, ignoring the technical difficulties, etc. lol)

For example, it would be very interesting to see the ocean become more gray as the node level increases and towns along the coast develop! :D
  • Options
    Well, beauty such as the blue of the ocean is really created by many factors, so I'd be happy if the diversity of having some gray oceans and some beautiful blue oceans could be implemented!
    (I'm speaking irresponsibly, ignoring the technical difficulties, etc. lol)

I agree that a game should have many different colors of ocean and lakes, including deep blue. It should also have grays, greens, and if the circumstances are right, pink (though this would be more lakes than oceans).

That isn't my issue.

My issue is that the OP took a picture of an ocean that is clearly not deep water, is not taken from an overly high angle, and is in an area with a hazy atmosphere, and complained that it isn't blue enough. It shouldn't be blue under those circumstances.
  • Options
    https://imgur.com/gallery/j0fvXKd
    Indeed!
    This is what the ocean looks like near me.
    Indeed, if you think about it and look at it, conditions like the haze in the air are way different from Shirahama!
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Yep, I have to agree.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Corbin_DallasCorbin_Dallas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As a PADI instructor, I live in the Ocean, especially in the Andaman. It would be great to see water darkening in the distance whether horizontal or vertical, but I'm not sure if that's feasible in Unreal nor cost effective in production. Would be great for realism though