Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regarding the combat, what about gore & blood... ?

In the last video devs released I saw them fighting those crabs & those seal kind of mobs in the beach & I can't say I liked what I saw, I would like to see lots of stuff in order for the combat to become more desirable in my eyes, so I'm gonna write all those things I have in mind one by one:

1. Better SFX when we hit something no matter if the hit comes from a spell or a physical weapon, the sound need to have impact & definitely more bass, same thing for blocks.

2. Blood, I wanna see spray of blood & blood marks on the ground when we hit something as long what we hit is a living creature that could bleed, & you know animals & humanoids (I speak for the PVP part) are things that bleed in real life so why there is no blood on hits? is this going to be a kiddy game were showing blood is a bad thing... ?

3. I have the impression that this game have grown up people & adults as the target audience so don't you think a more visceral, raw, gritty combat is what would please more those kind of people, me that's definitely what I would like to see to get hyped, because the combat currently looks dull, unexciting & it's like it was made for a game with PEGI 12 rating in mind...

4. I wanna see different kind of death animations depending on how the mob died, did we stab it to death with a spear? did we slice it in pieces with a sword or axe? did we crush his bones with a mace or hammer? did we burn it to death with a fire spell? did we crisp it to death with a lightning spell? did we melt it skin with acid? all those cases need to have different unique death animations, this would make the game much more interesting & fun don't you all think that?

5. Unique SFX for the last death cry depending the type of mob we killed, the sound must makes sense most of all & also to have the proper impact to give that adrenaline pump & to feel satisfying, if the mobs we kill doesn't make a sound at their last moment then this kills the mood & as you understand doesn't help to get you excited, small details like this one can completely change the way a game feels & play a very important role imo to help you get immersed better in the game world, else you will never feel like what we kill was a living creature that just died at your hands in a brutal way, & it needs to feel that way.

Comments

• Options
    I would like those things as well.
    I'm not sure if they just haven't come around to implementing it yet or that they aren't planning to.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    They fully intend to launch with a Teen rating.
    Not sure if blood splatters falls under Teen rating. Probably not gore.

Also I'm pretty sure sound design is placeholder at the moment.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In order to qualify for a ESRB teen rating they can show "minimal blood" (e.g. blood splatters and spell effects that use some blood) but that's about it. In order to show "blood and gore" (e.g. torn off/mutilated limbs) they would need to get a mature 17+ rating, which they are unlikely to do.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    In order to qualify for a ESRB teen rating they can show "minimal blood" (e.g. blood splatters and spell effects that use some blood) but that's about it. In order to show "blood and gore" (e.g. torn off/mutilated limbs) they would need to get a mature 17+ rating, which they are unlikely to do.

So are you saying that ArcheAge can screenshot-www-esrb-org-2021-02-28-20-21-20.png
    but AoC can't? ArcheAge already have a 17+ rating so why not AoC also? are the devs care more to cater to little kids instead of adults? is that their target audience? little kids? because me personally I would like to know that, because I want blood & gore in my games, I wanna play a game that will cater to my adult tastes, if the devs can't offer me that because their concern is that if they go that route minors won't be able to play their game then I seriously see no point to bother with this game from now on.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Archeage caters to 17+ because they love pay to win and minors can't pay to win.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2021
    rpgmaniac wrote: »

So are you saying that ArcheAge can screenshot-www-esrb-org-2021-02-28-20-21-20.png
    but AoC can't? ArcheAge already have a 17+ rating so why not AoC also? are the devs care more to cater to little kids instead of adults? is that their target audience? little kids? because me personally I would like to know that, because I want blood & gore in my games, I wanna play a game that will cater to my adult tastes, if the devs can't offer me that because their concern is that if they go that route minors won't be able to play their game then I seriously see no point to bother with this game from now on.

ArcheAge was a free-to-play game, Ashes of Creation is a sub based. They don't want little Timmy to ask his parents "Mom can I get a sub to this game" only to look at the age rating and see an adult rating which means little Timmy can't play.

Sub based games need a high playerbase to survive. You don't get as high of a playerbase compared to if you lowered the age rating most of the time.

Steven has also said he wants people of all ages to be able to play Ashes and to use Ashes to get the newer generation interested in MMORPGs.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    I think it's not that they don't want to add blood, but it's something that they polish towards the end. We are still in pre-alpha, so client-side frills isn't really the priority right now.
  • Options
    BlandmarrowBlandmarrow Member
    edited March 2021
    Considering they have a more realistic art style, they can probably not do as much as you'd like.

If we take WoW as an example they can get away with quite a lot due to the cartoonish style, but with Ashes they probably can't.

I do wish they'd have a higher age rating just because it gives more flexibility but either case, as long as there are some simple blood effects I'm happy even if I wished there was more.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alright my man... we get it. You like dark settings and moods.

Not everyone is into that and that’s not AoC’s focus. There might be some of that, but not to the extent your liking.

We can move on now.
  • Options
    VmanGman wrote: »
    Alright my man... we get it. You like dark settings and moods.

That is actually not accurate, a dark setting & a combat that is brutal with lots of blood & gore were each hit has impact is what fix my mood, that is what makes a game fun for me, to the opposite when I see a combat were there is no blood, no gore, no impactful SFX, unrealistic animations that make you feel that you are hitting on the air instead of a real living body & monsters that act indifferent when they get hit is what makes me lose interest instantly, what I described btw in case you haven't figure out by yourself yet is AoC.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    what I described btw in case you haven't figure out by yourself yet is AoC.
    Wait!

You mean that at least two years out from launch, Ashes isn't finished yet?

Holy shit, someone tell Steven!
  • Options
    rpgmaniacrpgmaniac Member
    edited March 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    what I described btw in case you haven't figure out by yourself yet is AoC.
    Wait!

You mean that at least two years out from launch, Ashes isn't finished yet?

Holy shit, someone tell Steven!

The game is in development for 4+ years already you know, in most cases a game would be ready for launch in this amount of time, but since this is an indie project kind of let's say that it's unrealistic to expect the normal from a studio that was made from scratch for this game for the first time ever, still you would expect from them to have nail the combat by now & move to other stuff because you know an MMORPG have so many stuff to add, but that is not the case combat still needs lots of work, that's not very promising so far in the development phase don't you think?

Anyway be certain that it's not that I want this game to fail, it would be great if they manage to make a game I would like to play, we are all here to give our opinion to the devs & I sincerely express how I feel about AoC from everything I have seen till now, & the way I feel is that AoC at it's current state is not a game I would like to play, not in the slightest, but as I said I hope for the best.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The game is in development for 4+ years already you know, in most cases a game would be ready for launch in this amount of time, but since this is an indie project kind of let's say that it's unrealistic to expect the normal from them, still you would expect from them to have nail the combat by now & move to other stuff
    A few points.

First, MMO's take 5 - 8 years to develop, and that is the major studios. ESO was in active development for 7 years, as an example.

Second, they don't work on one part of the game until it is done and then move on to another part. They work on all parts simultaneously. This is because most aspects of game development require specialized developers - you don't want the people doing the animations and vfx for combat to then have to turn their hand to level design.
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    ArcheAge was a free-to-play game, Ashes of Creation is a sub based. They don't want little Timmy to ask his parents "Mom can I get a sub to this game" only to look at the age rating and see an adult rating which means little Timmy can't play.

Sub based games need a high playerbase to survive. You don't get as high of a playerbase compared to if you lowered the age rating most of the time.

Steven has also said he wants people of all ages to be able to play Ashes and to use Ashes to get the newer generation interested in MMORPGs.

I understand why AoC would go for ESRB teen as a chance to reach a possible younger player base, but it's a quite small percentage as the genre player base nowadays consists majorly of people over 18 years old. I honestly would prefer it to be ESRB Mature +17 as it gives a hell lot of artistic and thematic freedom for the game aswell as being more appealing to the majority of the playerbase.
    Even tho some games are able to blur the line between ESRB teen and ESRB Mature +17 quite well.

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    In the last video devs released I saw them fighting those crabs & those seal kind of mobs in the beach & I can't say I liked what I saw, I would like to see lots of stuff in order for the combat to become more desirable in my eyes, so I'm gonna write all those things I have in mind one by one:

1. Better SFX when we hit something no matter if the hit comes from a spell or a physical weapon, the sound need to have impact & definitely more bass, same thing for blocks.

2. Blood, I wanna see spray of blood & blood marks on the ground when we hit something as long what we hit is a living creature that could bleed, & you know animals & humanoids (I speak for the PVP part) are things that bleed in real life so why there is no blood on hits? is this going to be a kiddy game were showing blood is a bad thing... ?

3. I have the impression that this game have grown up people & adults as the target audience so don't you think a more visceral, raw, gritty combat is what would please more those kind of people, me that's definitely what I would like to see to get hyped, because the combat currently looks dull, unexciting & it's like it was made for a game with PEGI 12 rating in mind...

4. I wanna see different kind of death animations depending on how the mob died, did we stab it to death with a spear? did we slice it in pieces with a sword or axe? did we crush his bones with a mace or hammer? did we burn it to death with a fire spell? did we crisp it to death with a lightning spell? did we melt it skin with acid? all those cases need to have different unique death animations, this would make the game much more interesting & fun don't you all think that?

5. Unique SFX for the last death cry depending the type of mob we killed, the sound must makes sense most of all & also to have the proper impact to give that adrenaline pump & to feel satisfying, if the mobs we kill doesn't make a sound at their last moment then this kills the mood & as you understand doesn't help to get you excited, small details like this one can completely change the way a game feels & play a very important role imo to help you get immersed better in the game world, else you will never feel like what we kill was a living creature that just died at your hands in a brutal way, & it needs to feel that way.

The solution to blood and gore is simple, by default it is off - but for those who want it, they can simply have the option in graphics to enable.

Yes yes? *looks at devs*
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lets just have them go full "Conan Exiles".

Sliders and all...

Bonus:
    You get a extra inch on your slider for 10$ per inch...
    The money will roll right in. ;)
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.