Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Druid

I would love to see a Druid class like world of warcraft (sorry for use wow reference )with shade shifting and ability.
Have been looking for mmo with this for long time.

Comments

• Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ElKhouri wrote: »
    I would love to see a Druid class like world of warcraft (sorry for use wow reference )with shade shifting and ability.
    Have been looking for mmo with this for long time.

We won't have a druid in aoc. There might be some archetypes that can do roughly the same jobs. I think summoner will actually be roughly druid like.
  • Options
    There will be no Class that lets you Transform into any Monster Beast etc some classes may Summon Monsters
  • Options
    But..but..but.. I wanted to be a TREE!!!!
  • Options
    You will be able to transform into beasts using the monster coin mechanic :)
  • Options
    I have a tough time comprehending how there are 64 classes in the game and none of them are druid. It seems like a really traditional MMO class and one that a lot of people enjoy playing - I see people on the forums asking about it all the time. I guess that is the flaw with the class augments - it's cool for mixing but you don't really get anything truly new out of it, just different versions of the same 8 primaries.

I think the lack of druid is even stranger considering the fact that there is an entire race (Py'Rai) with a prominent nature theme, and a bunch of the monthly cosmetics have also been nature themed. AoC would lend so well to a druid class because its environments and creatures are so colorful and interesting. I do genuinely hope it gets added in the future, but I faintly recall Steven saying they won't be adding new classes anytime soon because of how hard the augment system makes that (don't have a source for that quote though). Maybe a surprise class before launch! Here's hoping
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alderwood wrote: »
    I have a tough time comprehending how there are 64 classes in the game and none of them are druid. It seems like a really traditional MMO class and one that a lot of people enjoy playing - I see people on the forums asking about it all the time. I guess that is the flaw with the class augments - it's cool for mixing but you don't really get anything truly new out of it, just different versions of the same 8 primaries.

I think the lack of druid is even stranger considering the fact that there is an entire race (Py'Rai) with a prominent nature theme, and a bunch of the monthly cosmetics have also been nature themed. AoC would lend so well to a druid class because its environments and creatures are so colorful and interesting. I do genuinely hope it gets added in the future, but I faintly recall Steven saying they won't be adding new classes anytime soon because of how hard the augment system makes that (don't have a source for that quote though). Maybe a surprise class before launch! Here's hoping

@Alderwood You act like every MMORPG has a druid class. That's just simply not true. Intrepid has decided to not implement a druid class, but they have other more unique classes such as the bard.

Not every MMO needs to fulfil every player's every need. They decided to not go with a druid, but are giving plenty of other options for players to choose from.
  • Options
    VmanGman wrote: »

@Alderwood You act like every MMORPG has a druid class. That's just simply not true. Intrepid has decided to not implement a druid class, but they have other more unique classes such as the bard.

Not every MMO needs to fulfil every player's every need. They decided to not go with a druid, but are giving plenty of other options for players to choose from.

Of course not every MMO has a druid. I said it's a traditional MMO class, by which I mean it's not like we're talking about 'Mesmer' class from GW2 here which is pretty much unique to that game. Druid isn't ubiquitous, but I would say it's a commonly found class in modern MMOs, and for a reason - people like to play druid. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't included at launch for a game that has, say, 8 classes like GW2 does. Elder Scrolls Online had only 4 classes (albeit each with 3 skill trees) at launch, but due to high demand and constant posts in the forums asking for druid, it was the first class added post-launch (and at the time of writing one of only two classes that have been added).

What is surprising about AoC is the exclusion of druid when the game claims to have a whopping 64 classes to choose from. Yes they don't need to please everyone, but considering druid is a top 10 class in terms of popularity, it's unusual that it isn't 1 of 64 classes. And like I said before, I think it's made even stranger by the fact that it would fit so well into the AoC world
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You mentioned Druid would fit with Py-Rai. Well, we don't want race locks and class locks. The classes must make sense for all races.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What is surprising about AoC is the exclusion of druid when the game claims to have a whopping 64 classes to choose from. Yes they don't need to please everyone, but considering druid is a top 10 class in terms of popularity, it's unusual that it isn't 1 of 64 classes.

My man, it seems that you don't understand how AoC's classes work. There are 8 archetypes (what you call classes). It's not like there are 64 individual classes and druid was excluded. There are 8 archetypes and druid was excluded. A shapeshifting druid does not fit with any of AoC's 8 base archetypes.

You say that druid is a top 10 class. Well, it didn't make it in AoC's top 8 archetypes. They have plenty of options available to players and druid is not one of them just how it's not an option in many other MMOs.

You need to stop bringing up the 64 classes. It's the 8 archetypes you need to focus on if your goal is to talk about a druid class.

They also didn't bring in a warlock, death knight, monk, and demon hunter. Those are fairly popular classes too...
  • Options
    What is surprising about AoC is the exclusion of druid when the game claims to have a whopping 64 classes to choose from. Yes they don't need to please everyone, but considering druid is a top 10 class in terms of popularity, it's unusual that it isn't 1 of 64 classes.

My man, it seems that you don't understand how AoC's classes work. There are 8 archetypes (what you call classes). It's not like there are 64 individual classes and druid was excluded. There are 8 archetypes and druid was excluded. A shapeshifting druid does not fit with any of AoC's 8 base archetypes.

You say that druid is a top 10 class. Well, it didn't make it in AoC's top 8 archetypes. They have plenty of options available to players and druid is not one of them just how it's not an option in many other MMOs.

You need to stop bringing up the 64 classes. It's the 8 archetypes you need to focus on if your goal is to talk about a druid class.

They also didn't bring in a warlock, death knight, monk, and demon hunter. Those are fairly popular classes too...

I Agree
  • Options
    OstaffOstaff Member
    edited March 2021
    What? No Monk???!! NOOOOOOO!! THERE MUST BE BALDIES wearing necklaces and robes or just looking like bums!!!!

I mean, you serious? there's no martial arts in this game? hrmmm :thinking:

(<--- is still mourning not being able to be a tree and just standing there all day rooted in the same spot as time passes by him)
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    You mentioned Druid would fit with Py-Rai. Well, we don't want race locks and class locks. The classes must make sense for all races.

Of course. I just said that there is a nature-themed race but strangely they left the nature-themed class out. Druid could easily work for any race in Ashes

No, I understand exactly how the AoC classes work. When I say "64 classes", that is the exact wording of the Intrepid team. Taken from the latest dev discussion:
    Dev Discussion #27 - Ideal Class
    Which of our 64 classes do you think you will spend the most time playing, and what are the key elements to making this your ideal class?

And I also acknowledged that the lack of druid is a result of the archetype system. In case you missed it:
    I guess that is the flaw with the class augments - it's cool for mixing but you don't really get anything truly new out of it, just different versions of the same 8 primaries.

I don't get your point. This is a thread in which some of the community is saying "we would like a druid class", and you feel the need to come in here and basically say "shut up there is no druid"
  • Options
    @Alderwood The problem is that you act like it's ridiculous and impossible to understand why Intrepid wouldn't include a druid as one of their 64 classes... which is wrong on so many levels and especially because it shows that you don't understand how the class system works if you keep asking for one of the 64 classes to be a druid.
  • Options
    there are only 8 classes the other classes are only sub-classes that give you 2-3 spells thats it like the Crystals in ffxiv
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I could see a Shapeshifter Archetype being added in future expansions it'd be pretty silly to think the 8 we start w/ would be the only ones we ever get
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Maezriel wrote: »
    I could see a Shapeshifter Archetype being added in future expansions it'd be pretty silly to think the 8 we start w/ would be the only ones we ever get

100% There will be more classes in the Future