Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Threeway Battles, or more...

I was wondering about the possibility for multiple parties to engage eachother in AoC.

From what I understand big battles like Sieges of Nodes or Castles will consist of Attackers and Defenders, but given the factionless nature of the game, it seems reasonable that combat between various guilds for instance ends up resembling a free-for-all with multiple involved forces all with their own aims and interests.

My question is how is this actually viewed. The unpredictability of a fight being 'added on' by a previously uninvolved party is one of the thrills that made DAoC's RvR for instance so amazing.

Or are all the organised battles such as Guild wars, Caravan fights and Sieges consist of Instanced events?

Comments

• Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited March 2021
    The battles over nodes will be a scheduled event. One side attacking vs one side defending. This game is not a faction game. Nodes will be made up of guilds working together to grow their node and unlock things from the node that will progress their node giving great benefits.

Having no factions, in the open word, you will have many reasons to PvP. So you could end up having 5 ways fight over the right to take down a world boss. Maybe a few guilds get together and hold up an dungeon to let members have full range of whats inside without interruption. Causing other guilds to try and kick them out.

This game is bigger in scope then a 3 way war. Guilds will make and break alliances. Alliances will grow to hate other alliances. Maybe a node gets too big and everyone not in that alliance comes together to chip away and taking down that node to break them up.

Its endless what can happen and the players will shape the world because of it. Each server will end up being vastly different because of it.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    After playing eso for 6 years I can tell you there was 1-2 days that I enjoyed Threeway battles.

The rest of the 6 years was the winning side being zerged by the other 2 and the winner was a matter of luck.

For battlegrounds in AoC I would prefer the standard team v team.
    For the open world there wont be such structures.
  • Options
    ZyfrigZyfrig Member
    edited March 2021
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Its endless what can happen and the players will shape the world because of it. Each server will end up being vastly different because of it.

So a massive unorganized free for all brawl is in the cards?

Sounds good to me.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well you can only really attack or defend there is no third option really, unless sitting down and watching counts
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Zyfrig wrote: »

Sounds good to me.

The flag system stops this game from being a FFA kind of game. It is open world PvP with guild wars. There will be some protection for ones that dont want to PvP at times.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Sounds good to me.

The flag system stops this game from being a FFA kind of game. It is open world PvP with guild wars. There will be some protection for ones that dont want to PvP at times.

@nanfoodle It can absolutely be a FFA. If 3 (or more) different parties with combatant players show up to a dungeon, gathering area, or anything else that can be fought over, then you can bet that you will have a FFA between the different parties.
  • Options
    VmanGman wrote: »

Sounds good to me.

@nanfoodle It can absolutely be a FFA. If 3 (or more) different parties with combatant players show up to a dungeon, gathering area, or anything else that can be fought over, then you can bet that you will have a FFA between the different parties.

Only if people fight back. Or you dont care about corruption. As I said there will be "some protection" for ones that dont want to PvP. That is what makes this game not just a FFA PvP game. I have played games with this flagging system, it encourages people to attack people who want to PvP and protect people who dont want too.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle Did you read the part where I said “combatant players”? There is no corruption if you kill combatant players.

I didn’t say that it will happen all the time. I’m just pointing out that it’s incorrect to say that he flagging system prevents FFA fights from happening.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle Did you read the part where I said “combatant players”? There is no corruption if you kill combatant players.

I didn’t say that it will happen all the time. I’m just pointing out that it’s incorrect to say that he flagging system prevents FFA fights from happening.

I think you should watch the above video on the flagging system.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle what I said is not incorrect.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle what I said is not incorrect.

I'm saying you are :)
  • Options
    @nanfoodle well, you’re newer here so that’s understandable.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle well, you’re newer here so that’s understandable.

I'm not sure what your talking about. I been following this game and an OG backer. I have been reading this forum and only just started to start reply to help clear up misconceptions about this game people put forward, like you calling this a FFA PvP game.

Have you played Liniage? It had the same flag system and people who played it like a FFA PvP game ended up getting constantly trounced by the community. It's a big part of why I want to play Ashes. It's one of the best flagging systems I have played.
  • Options
    @nanfoodle Stop it. I never said that this is a FFA PvP game. I just said that you are incorrect to say that AoC’s flagging system won’t allow for FFA fights to happen.

I’m not saying that all PvP fights will be FFA, but like any PvP game that allows more than 2 factions/groups the fights can turn into FFA.

I’ve said all that I have to say. If you still don’t get it that’s fine. Have a good one.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have been reading this forum and only just started to start reply to help clear up misconceptions about this game people put forward
    May be an idea to go back to reading.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So, here is a question.. If my understanding is correct from what was stated above, if you die as a red then you do not lose XP rather you accumulate negative XP which would then have to be worked off later before you can gain XP again.

What is the implications of this for anyone that is at Max level?
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    So, here is a question.. If my understanding is correct from what was stated above, if you die as a red then you do not lose XP rather you accumulate negative XP which would then have to be worked off later before you can gain XP again.

I'm almost certain that you lose power. You get ever so slightly weaker.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

Regardless of your flag state, when you die you gain experience debt (or, you accumulate negative experience), you never actually lose experience. Your flag state mearly determines how much of a penalty you will recieve.

While you have negative experience, you have a debuff on you that lowers your stats and skills (incluging HP and mana), and also lowers the drop rates on mobs you kill.

My assumption would be that the more of this experience debt you have, the greater this penalty will be - but that is an assumption on my part.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tks. Sounds like a fair assumption.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    My assumption would be that the more of this experience debt you have, the greater this penalty will be - but that is an assumption on my part.

You are correct.

Corruption penalties occur as the corruption is gained.[10] The higher the corruption score:
    • The more skill and stat dampening applies (lower health and mana, lower gear proficiency), until the corrupt player ultimately becomes ineffective at combat.[11] This dampening only affects PvP combat.[12]
    • The higher chance of dropping of carried raw materials and gear (Weapons and Armor) when the corrupted player dies.[8][13][/i]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    You are correct.

Ah, but this is experience debt we are talking about here, not corruption.

I do assume that aspect of it works the same, though to my knowledge that has never been verified.

If someone were to ask that in a Q&A at some stage, it would also be interesting to see if the penalties from corruption and experience debt stack, as they are both fairly similar penalties, though one applies to everything, and the other only applies to PvP.
  • Options
    You can most likely expect to see 3 way fights at world bosses occasionally at the very least.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    You are correct.

Ah, but this is experience debt we are talking about here, not corruption.

I do assume that aspect of it works the same, though to my knowledge that has never been verified.

If someone were to ask that in a Q&A at some stage, it would also be interesting to see if the penalties from corruption and experience debt stack, as they are both fairly similar penalties, though one applies to everything, and the other only applies to PvP.

Your right, my bad. I assumed a while ago that corruption and death penalties run off the same system with different multipliers because they list the same effects. However, I don't know of it being officially confirmed either.