Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Build Simulator (near AoC release)?

ZeslenaZeslena Member
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Hello everyone!

I am brand new to the game and this forum so I hope the discussion is within the right category. If this suggestion has already been put forward, then I apologize in advance.

I think that it would be a really nice idea to have a sort of build simulator that would allow players to check, for instance, how their skills are affected by their secondary archetypes or the effects of racial perks, etc. I do not know how the rest of the community thinks about this idea? I, personally, am scared of choosing a secondary archetype, thinking it would have a specific effect on my skills, only for the opposite to happen.

Of course, I realize that, in the current state, nothing is finalized yet. As such, a build simulator would probably only become feasible near the full release of the game once everything has been decided. I am a noob when it comes to programming, but maybe it could be added to the official website so that the simulator is available in the browser.

P.S. Maybe it would even be possible to do the same for the character creator? To put a simplified version on the website. Of course, that is probably a much more complicated task. But, it certainly would be interesting and entertaining if people were to share pictures of their prepared chars (from the CC simulator) in the forum.

Comments

• Options
    AlsopAlsop Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    Personally I think that the massive testing of games, the previous release of information, the knowledge of how a mechanic works, the guides that are formed based on this and the need of everyone not to make mistakes is destroying the feeling of playing a video game.
    If it were up to me I would like the secondary skills derived from the second class to be secret until launch day. I would not like to see guides on how to max your character even before launch, or tell you what is better or worse, or leak the crafting system, all that should be tested as closed as possible to ensure that on launch day players enter a new and unknown world where they can experiment. If you choose a secondary class and you don't like it you can always change it later.

• Options
    I agree completely with you on that. It SHOULD be an entirely new world for players to explore. My fear is that not knowing the secondary class effects in advance could ruin player experience and immersion.

Imagine reaching level 25, picking a secondary class only to realise that the effects are undesirable for you. If I remember correctly the developers have said that changing secondary archetypes will not be easy. So I am assuming certain tasks (or ingame currency) will need to be completed in order to do that. As a result the player will be busy with fulfilling these conditions, instead of progressing and enjoying the game.
  • Options
    AlsopAlsop Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will be a brief explanation on what you could spect on that point, but you must wait to that point , you cant get the info from level 1, that will be just disapointing, if you already know what secondary class will you choose from level 1 the game makes no sense.

Personaly i will take cleric+cleric=high priest or sumoner+cleric=shaman or mage+mage=archwizard, and if i ever take a tank it will be a spellstone. I dont even know their skills, i just feel it like me. On the end the character is not made only of skills to use, gathering is not altered by thtat, procesing nor crafting

Every skill has its use, if at level 25 you are not confident on your second class, give it a try, try to adapt to that playstyle and maybe it can susprise you. But knowing evey spell you will get from level 25 to 50 and take your second class taking that onto consideration just breaks the inmersion
  • Options
    I think this is a great idea, and I am sure we will have a 3rd party make such a "character planner" system for you :) It's not up to Intrepid to have to make everything for us. The community can also chip in and make lots of tools for the community to use as well.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread moved from Support to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I spend hours on these kinds of thing. I would imagine that if there isn't an official one, that there will be a few player-made ones sooner or later.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Theory crafting is a favorite past time of many. I have no doubt a player will make a build simulator of some sort. Just keep your eye peeled I would not be surprised to see one pop up during beta.

I would vote no on an official build simulator. While it is nice to know for sure why and how things "do" the way they do. It kind of takes some magic out of the game. Most player bases get really close to the games actual function, but that little bit of uncertainty gives theory crafters something to scratch their heads at endlessly.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.