Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Potential problem that may occur due to the game design

DobyCoolDobyCool Member
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Dear Developers,

I had lost my hope on MMORPG long time back, and recently I come across videos on AoC, and it kinda brings my hope back. I really hope this game can be the ONE. While watching the videos on YouTube, I notice a few issues, if unhandled, can ruined the game. If you haven't consider those problem please do, if you did already, wanted to hear about your solution to them.

1. 50 days protection for defending a Node Siege - what if 2 ally guild declare war at each other, but didn't actually fight. Then each of their node get 50 days of protection. And they can keep doing it so that no one can destroy their node.
2. BOT, scripts - since the game itself doesn't sell any cash item, it will lead the player to actually buy gold and other materials from a third party using cash. And the BOT can easily takes over the market. They can gather all the gatherable (orbs, herbs etc.) across all maps leave player an only option which is to buy from them. This can become P2W as well, but the world is never fair so..
3. only 5 max level node per sever - my understanding is that a guild is tied to a node (correct me if I am wrong), If all 5 of them become ally, then there will be no hopes for new guilds. I am expecting some sort of quest or profit related issue that lead them mush to fight with each other
4. only 10ish flying mount per server - I understand that those 10 ish people should be specials, but limits the flying mount to only those 10 ish people will means that majority of the game can never experience this part of the game. I think it will make sense to make some epic flying mount that has additional feature or buffs for those 10 ish people. And unlock the normal flying mount to the majority. The unlocking process can be hard and long, but at least give a chance.
5. skill animation too slow in casting, some unnecessary animation for example why does casting fireball makes the character jump in the air? When casting ultimate skill, it can take longer, but with basic skills should be fast so the combat will feel smooth.
6. 64 classes - while it will be very interesting to have 64 classes, but the balance between them will be very difficult. Hope that there won't be classes that are called Trash.
7. The character model really needs a re-work, it doesn't stands out from any of the new MMOs

I know that I mentioned a lot negative about the game, I do noticed all the great stuff this game offer. I just want it to become better.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Welcome to the forums.
    Lots of good information here.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

1: Your friends going through the work to set off a siege(Takes a lot of work to do) just opens the door for anyone to come in and trash the place.

3: Guilds are not tied to nodes and can move anywhere they want. Guild max number of players is set to 300. Having a large guild with many guilds under there banner is possible. If they rule a node be hard to dislodge them but that is up to the server community.

4: Flying will be limited to very few. Opening up flying to everyone is not in the design. It make the world feel small and empty.

5: This stuff is in flux and some of the animation has already been changed. The new video from the last live stream showed the newer mage skill animation.

6: Class balance will be group vs group not 1vs 1. I agree hope the classes al all viable but time will tell.

7: Character models are very early place holder stuff at this point.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    AlsopAlsop Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    2. On a full open pvp game bots that do not react when getting damage will end being walking money baggs for corrupted players

4. There is also a drop on raid that will grant you an egg to tame a temporary fying mount. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts you can check the royal mounts. I dont really know if thats oficial
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread moved from Support to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    4: Yes only 10ish people at a time. That is by design.

You might never have a flying mount.

A lot of your "Potential Problems" you see with Ashes lead me to believe you might only have a few MMOs under your belt. I always encourage new players to look at this page.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Design_pillars

Specifically under "Inspiration"

With the exception of the Node system, nearly every system in Ashes is a proven concept that worked well in other past MMOs.

Welcome to the forums.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    In regards to point 2.

Players need to do their part and report suspicious bot activity from players so Intrepid can do theirs easier.
    Other wise it is just needles in a hay stack that goes unaddressed and ruins the game for others and the company.
  • Options
    In regards to point 2.

Players need to do their part and report suspicious bot activity from players so Intrepid can do theirs easier.
    Other wise it is just needles in a hay stack that goes unaddressed and ruins the game for others and the company.
    Report, then PK.
    Make sure to hit them where it hurts. The pocket book.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    @Vhaeyne imo, everybody that killed a convicted bot should get their PK count reduced and maybe a small reimbursement for the incurred risk of corruption they took upon themselves to make the game a better place
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    @Vhaeyne imo, everybody that killed a convicted bot should get their PK count reduced and maybe a small reimbursement for the incurred risk of corruption they took upon themselves to make the game a better place

If something like that is reasonable to implement sure.
    I imagine being able to just grind it off if everyone is doing their part the corruption should be manageable.
    Going red here or there should not be a total death sentence, it has utility. Will see how bad it is in practice.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

If something like that is reasonable to implement sure.
    I imagine being able to just grind it off if everyone is doing their part the corruption should be manageable.
    Going red here or there should not be a total death sentence, it has utility. Will see how bad it is in practice.

Bots will usually be lowered leveled. You get bonus corruption for that, your kill count stacks up, you have risk of losing gear.

Unless i know, that there is a lot of loot/incentives to be gained, i personally will not bother killing a bot when i come across them.
  • Options
    Bots will usually be lowered leveled. You get bonus corruption for that, your kill count stacks up, you have risk of losing gear.

Unless i know, that there is a lot of loot/incentives to be gained, i personally will not bother killing a bot when i come across them.

Maybe have a mid-level Alt ready to PK in an area at a moments notice?

I mean assuming we are going to spend a lot of time in the same nodes it might be useful to have something you don't care about you can pop on and kill bots with real quick.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1. If someone declares a siege on another node, then anyone can join the fight. It is not limited to only the group that declared the siege. So if an allied guild enables/declares the siege (which is a monumental task) any other group will be able to take advantage of that declaration and attack the node.
    2. Bots exist in every game. Intrepid has a very strong stance against them and they’ve implemented systems to prevent bots as much as possible from very early on in development.
    3. Guilds are not tied to a node. Members of the same guild can be affiliated with different nodes. Nodes (especially metropolises) will not be controlled by one single guild. Many guilds will have citizens in said node. Therefore it will be really hard to ally that many guilds from that many nodes. Also, there will be great incentives to siege a node and take their loot.
    4. No. Flying mounts are not good for a game that focuses this much on open world PvP. Limited flying mounts is an awesome design choice.
    5. This is subjective and a work in progress since the game is in alpha.
    6. It’s technically only 8 archetypes (what you call classes) that need to be balanced. It won’t be as diverse as 64 different classes. Also, the game is balanced around group play which makes balancing a lot easier. The game will not be balanced for 1v1 battles.
    7. This is subjective and a work in progress since the game is in alpha.
  • Options
    2. Yea Bots can be a problem. Specialy that flagging system that gives you more and more corruption just because you kill "Bots". Some Peopel play whit 3 Acc whit 3 diffrent Ips ( Home internet , 2x Handy internet LTE, Maby proxy ect.) You cant avoide them all , i just hope they have good anticheat programms / online GM´s. maby they cap the acc´s per IP to 3 , maby they make a report system that pop up a captcha and you need to solve it after you get 4 reports from 4 diffrent players. ( the captcha comes whit delay like 5-50 mins so botter cant afk farm so easly?) I realy dont know but yea your right.
    4. this is a special present. Its not for all peopel. and its okey for me :)
    6. They dont make 64 diffrent classes . they make 8 Classes whit variations. Do you know archeage? its like to make a singel attack into a slower Aoe attack. There are no complet diffrent skills.
    7. Its okey for me. mincraft and vallheim was a hit too. maby we need to play it :)

I understand you and its good that peopel think abaut what the game needs. Maby in 100 posts is the 1 post that can help the game desingner. and thats what we need.
    And it makes fun :smiley:
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    DobyCool wrote: »
    Dear Developers,

1. 50 days protection for defending a Node Siege - what if 2 ally guild declare war at each other, but didn't actually fight. Then each of their node get 50 days of protection. And they can keep doing it so that no one can destroy their node.

Guilds don't own nodes. Once you drop a siege flag anyone can sign up to attack or defend it.

For more information on sieges hit up https://ashes101.com/nodesieges.php
    Dear Developers,
    2. BOT, scripts - since the game itself doesn't sell any cash item, it will lead the player to actually buy gold and other materials from a third party using cash. And the BOT can easily takes over the market. They can gather all the gatherable (orbs, herbs etc.) across all maps leave player an only option which is to buy from them. This can become P2W as well, but the world is never fair so..

I think you need to read about how the developers have designed the node respawn, transportation, backpack size and inventory system. Add in the fact they are going to have bot detection via heat maps, and active GMs.

3. only 5 max level node per sever - my understanding is that a guild is tied to a node (correct me if I am wrong), If all 5 of them become ally, then there will be no hopes for new guilds. I am expecting some sort of quest or profit related issue that lead them mush to fight with each other

Regards

You are wrong, so this is a correction. Guilds are not tied to the nodes.

For more information on nodes hit up https://ashes101.com/nodes
    4. only 10ish flying mount per server - I understand that those 10 ish people should be specials, but limits the flying mount to only those 10 ish people will means that majority of the game can never experience this part of the game. I think it will make sense to make some epic flying mount that has additional feature or buffs for those 10 ish people. And unlock the normal flying mount to the majority. The unlocking process can be hard and long, but at least give a chance.

First there are 15-20 flying mounts per server.

Second, this isn't a problem, this is you wanting something and not wanting to work for it. You want a flying mount. Earn it.
    5. skill animation too slow in casting, some unnecessary animation for example why does casting fireball makes the character jump in the air? When casting ultimate skill, it can take longer, but with basic skills should be fast so the combat will feel smooth.

Regards

If you actually cared about the development of the game, you would know the fireball animation was changed on 26 Feb, so your "problem" is already resolved.
    6. 64 classes - while it will be very interesting to have 64 classes, but the balance between them will be very difficult. Hope that there won't be classes that are called Trash.

What balance? The game isn't designed for 1v1 balance, so they don't all need to work out evenly.

7. The character model really needs a re-work, it doesn't stands out from any of the new MMOs

This isn't a problem, this is a subjective opinion.

Its also a subjective opinion of a game still in Alpha development.

So, really if you want to point out the "problems" of the game, please take the time to actually do 5 minutes of research about the systems before saying there are problems.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Maybe have a mid-level Alt ready to PK in an area at a moments notice?

In games where there are areas where botters are known to frequent, this is absolutely something I do.

With the fact that all content will shift in Ashes, I'm actually not sure how bots will operate once the game goes live.