Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Parry mechanics for action combat?

mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
I finally caught up with the august livestream and the combo tab and action combat looks like it will be interesting. I wonder if there are any plans to have parry mechanics for the physical attacks action combat? I love the BDO action feel to what I saw but I think the parry ability for physical attacks might add some extra flavour to it.
I found it a little OP and boring in BDO after a while.
Part of your skill tree for weps that you learn over time by spending skillpoints? Of course not for spells unless you had some magic infused weapon that had a minor spell parry? And not an auto parry, you have to manually trigger it etc.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven would like active blocking with shields. However, after playtesting in Apocalypse, he thought such blocking might be too strong with some players and mentioned that other options such as reduced but not totally nullified damage may be used with active blocking. It is subject to testing later as they have not gotten that into combat yet.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    High power attacks should breakthrough but I don't see much of a problem if you combine that with what Fury said. ^^
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Steven would like active blocking with shields. However, after playtesting in Apocalypse, he thought such blocking might be too strong with some players and mentioned that other options such as reduced but not totally nullified damage may be used with active blocking. It is subject to testing later as they have not gotten that into combat yet.

I was thinking other than shields, swords, staff, mace, flails? etc might be cool for casting/fighting combos and other class combos
    Valentine wrote: »
    High power attacks should breakthrough but I don't see much of a problem if you combine that with what Fury said. ^^

Yeah agree, mitigation wins over nullification IMHO.
  • Options
    PoliceGirlPoliceGirl Member
    edited March 2021
    mobtek wrote: »
    ...not an auto parry, you have to manually trigger it.

That's got it right. If AoC has any real action combat how could it not include a parry? Seems like a very foundational moveset. DS2 trained me; couldn't game without it.

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    Cascade from Tera Online (warrior).

Cascade used to function like this:
    If you were hit, you had a 2s selfbuff on you that allowed you to use the Cascade skill. If you didnt use it within 2s it went on cooldown.
    If you timed the cast right, while an enemy was about to land a melee hit on you, you would slap them with your swords, stunning them. Otherwise it would be a weak dmg deal.
    The skill would then go on cooldown.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    i'd say they have defensive mechanics store for the hyrbdized combat system

create resource penalties for using active blocks. this would negate some of the OP from sitting there with a shield up the entire time or holding a block for prolonged periods.
    mobtek wrote: »
    I finally caught up with the august livestream and the combo tab and action combat looks like it will be interesting. I wonder if there are any plans to have parry mechanics for the physical attacks action combat? I love the BDO action feel to what I saw but I think the parry ability for physical attacks might add some extra flavour to it.
    I found it a little OP and boring in BDO after a while.
    Part of your skill tree for weps that you learn over time by spending skillpoints? Of course not for spells unless you had some magic infused weapon that had a minor spell parry? And not an auto parry, you have to manually trigger it etc.

What do you guys think?

I would say the intentions for some sort of parry mechanic in terms of defence. what are the dual wielders going to do?

as stated in the my previous reply in this post, resource penalties for doing so. Could have some feature that involves ability to parry/block based on weapon type vs weapon type.
    and/or even shield breaker ability mechanics as @Valentine mentioned with a high powered mechanic as well.