Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is this worth it?

Sup.

You guys helped me with good advice when I asked about guild website hosting. I want to ask you this next one.

So...I'm building a Tulnar-ONLY guild The Dark Alliance from the ground up. I just put up a discord server. Here's the question;

Is it worth it to pay $5/month for their base paid version? Is it worth it to pay for their $10/month version? Or is the free version killa?

What's really the difference?

The money is not an issue...my bar tabs are way higher than that, but I don't want to complicate things if there is no REAL benefit.

Thanks to everyone who gives their two cents.

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!

Comments

• Options
    you're essentially paying for server boosts to improve performance over voice communications, video communications and allowing things like emojis, customizable banners etc.

so in short, you're paying for better performance/quality with aesthetic options and animated emojis
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's definitely worth it if you plan on better communication and streaming.
  • Options
    MaupMaup Member
    Let's be real here it is definately not needed. What you can do is buy the 10$ version which will grant you two server boosts which will make your discord server reach level 1 after giving them to your server. What this will do is the following:

> + 50 server emoji slots
    > 128 Kbps audio quality
    > Animated server icon
    > Custom server invite background
    > Stream to your friends in high quality.

The things you should note here as better communication are 128 Kbps audio quality and Stream to your friends in higher quality. Standard you have up to 96 Kbps audio quality in discord voice channels. This difference between 96 Kbps and 128 Kbps is mostly noticable on mobile devices, on pc this is barely noticable. It is still an upgrade.

As of the other thing you should note, the stream to your friends in higher quality, this will allow you to stream in 60 FPS over the default 30 FPS, you are still limited to 720p streaming so that is kind of a bummer.

TL;DR Overall it gives some minor boosts, I'd say only the stream from 30 FPS to 60 FPS is worth it, it will be more convenient once reaching higher levels.
      Just a HYPED man
      If you have any questions feel free message me
    • Options
      VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      It might be worth it in the long run if you want to get the most out of your discord server.

I also know a number of people with "Throw away" Unpaid servers they will use when pugging. Just to get a low risk quick voice chat server.

I recommended discord because you don't need to pay anything to get a good discord going. On my personal discord no one streams anything. We just chat and link memes.

Sometimes the streaming is a valuable tool for guilds when you need to show someone how to do something.
      To me the voice chat is the most valuable tool as far as MMOs are concerned. I have never had an issue where unpaid voice chat is a problem on discord.

Personally I would only pay as needed. If I found a bunch of people were using features that need it than I would see value in paying, but up until that point the free server is very powerful for what you pay.
      TVMenSP.png
      If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
    • Options
      Sup @Maup

That was the most helpful, well organized, and precisely explained answer to my question. Thank you. /Liked.

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!
    • Options
      MaupMaup Member
      PoliceGirl wrote: »
      Sup @Maup

That was the most helpful, well organized, and precisely explained answer to my question. Thank you. /Liked.

No problem man!
        Just a HYPED man
        If you have any questions feel free message me