Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Community driven feeling VS Flying Mounts

As a continue to see more coming out about AoC I am constantly becoming more excited for this game to come out. Unfortunately their is one concern I just can not shake out of my head and would love to get others take on. How are Flying mounts not going to take away from the community driven feeling we are promised? Some of you might be confused how one has to do with the other but I ensure you that the impact is real. As players start getting access to flying mount you start to not only lose the feeling of population out side of towns but also the random interaction (good and bad) that come with it. Interaction that end up developing relationships, reputation and inspiration.

Would love to get others thoughts on this.

Comments

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Because only a small fraction of the player base will have flying mounts. It's not like every player is getting one, there'll probably be under 20 on a server at any time (10 from Monarchs and Metro Mayors, and then less than 10 from Legendary egg drops).

nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flying mounts tend to ruin games. That is why they are so limited. They are following the Lineage2's foot steps by making them extremely limited.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Flying mounts tend to ruin games. That is why they are so limited. They are following the Lineage2's foot steps by making them extremely limited.

They only ruin games when developers give players the ability to travel in three dimensions in a game with content that is in two dimensions.

Flying mounts aren't the issue here, developers giving players access to massive areas without content is the issue.
  • Options
    ThordenThorden Member
    edited March 2021
    If that stays true I would be good with it. Also seems like a waste of a in-game mechanic if so.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »

They only ruin games when developers give players the ability to travel in three dimensions in a game with content that is in two dimensions.

Flying mounts aren't the issue here, developers giving players access to massive areas without content is the issue.

This makes sense to me!
    I cannot imagine a world the size of Verra with quality vertical content. But it's a really good opportunity for a future expansion.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options

Aion had "3D Dimensional" content. Which was a novelty at best. That game did not end up doing so hot in the long run if I recall.

In regards to Ashes, I would rather them focus on the seas for any 3D content.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options

Aion had "3D Dimensional" content. Which was a novelty at best. That game did not end up doing so hot in the long run if I recall.

In regards to Ashes, I would rather them focus on the seas for any 3D content.

Yeah, Aion tried.

It didn't do a good job, but it tried.

Its an interesting counterpoint about sea based content. Assuming they have enemies at multiple depths, there is no reason why this could work and aerial based combat couldn't.

Not for Ashes - totally agree there (I like the idea that flight in Ashes is a thing, but is rare). I am more against the tarnishing of flight in fantasy MMO's as always being the same negative that it was in WoW.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They need more dragons and such to contend for the skies. The Fel Reaver flying around trying to kill people.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    Thorden wrote: »
    Also seems like a waste of a in-game mechanic if so.

It's time you go read up on AoC. You clearly don't know enough to have such strong opinions. The flying mounts have a very distinct role in this game.

Edit: quote
  • Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    VmanGman wrote: »

It's time you go read up on AoC. You clearly don't know enough to have such strong opinions. The flying mounts have a very distinct role in this game.

I would agree with this, I don't feel it is a wasted mechanic in the slightest. To me, they feel like a stature/nobility display more than anything. I think the rarity of them alone will have a big impact on the culture of the game and community. I'm all for the implementation of this mechanic.

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options
    ThordenThorden Member
    edited March 2021

I spent some time looking for more info on the flying mounts before I posted but really did not have luck. That is WHY I posted about it. Needed more info.
  • Options
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

Thank you! That was all I was looking for, Now I am at 100% going to playing. (from the 99% I was at)
  • Options
    Nice!
    Welcome to the community. You will find most of what we now so far on the wiki or Ashes101.com
    Both are community run.
  • Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Thank you! That was all I was looking for, Now I am at 100% going to playing. (from the 99% I was at)

You can definitely lose more than a few hours of your day on those wikis... be careful. :D

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options

I spent some time looking for more info on the flying mounts before I posted but really did not have luck.
    Did you? If you google 'ashes of creation mounts', the first hit is the wiki page. The first three links on that page are for the types of mounts, including the link taking you to the page that you claimed was all you were looking for.

I can't see any world in which a person was looking for information on flying mounts in Ashes and missed that.

If you didn't bother looking it up, just say so.
  • Options

I spent some time looking for more info on the flying mounts before I posted but really did not have luck.
    Did you? If you google 'ashes of creation mounts', the first hit is the wiki page. The first three links on that page are for the types of mounts, including the link taking you to the page that you claimed was all you were looking for.

I can't see any world in which a person was looking for information on flying mounts in Ashes and missed that.

I was only looking on the forums for the info and by some time I meant about 30 mins of reading threads. Do not get why you let my post eat at you like that. sorry?

also would like to thank anyone that was helpful and did not get all bent.
  • Options
    Its an interesting counterpoint about sea based content. Assuming they have enemies at multiple depths, there is no reason why this could work and aerial based combat couldn't.

Not for Ashes - totally agree there (I like the idea that flight in Ashes is a thing, but is rare). I am more against the tarnishing of flight in fantasy MMO's as always being the same negative that it was in WoW.

Aion did try!

Yeah, flying mounts just ruin world PvP, and make world activity's a joke. Even Blizzard understands this, and have made steps to trying to address it (war mode, waiting to allow flying in new zones), but the genie is kind of out of the bottle for WOW. I bet if blizzard made another MMO they would be much more carful about flying mounts as all MMOs should be moving forward. Having a handful of people that have flying mounts always seemed epic AF back in L2.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    Flying ruins adventuring.
    Limiting flying gives prestige. Simple.
    There can be only around 10 players per 50000 player servers that can fly.
  • Options
    I'm against them as a whole in MMORPG's, but in regards to the royal mounts, that's cool to me for a game like this as it is currently planned.

I am hopeful that there is a way to shoot them out of the sky, I want my prize :) especially if they come around sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

Hopefully they all do not run around with their wings expanded the entire time like the avian ones that were displayed in early alpha footage. Their design allows them to be tucked with the body when on the ground.

They look silly from the early alpha footage like that, lol (I'm assuming it's a WIP).

Additionally, the flight limitation helps prevent the abuse of exploration through the fog of war with them.

• Options

I was only looking on the forums for the info and by some time I meant about 30 mins of reading threads. Do not get why you let my post eat at you like that. sorry?

also would like to thank anyone that was helpful and did not get all bent.

Forums are a place for discussion, not to look up specific information on the game.