Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

No NDA Delay. Lets talk about it!

So there have been some recent concerns over the "No NDA delay." To me, I don't mind it. The only reason I'm not disappointed is that the game isn't forced to be a sped-up production like Cyberpunk 2077 or No Man's Sky. If they have already mentioned that the game is fully paid for, been told countless times that Alpha's and betas are there to make a perfect release and that the game will be ready when it's ready, why be disappointed over a setback that's only going to make the game better? There is one thing that concerns me, though; In the Creative Director letter from Steven Shariff, it says that they want to focus on polishing up the game a little more. I hope they mean by working on fixing server performance(If this is a problem), skills, and issues/bugs that have arisen. I watched Jahlon 's new video on youtube and KiraTV's video on it. Both had some good points and speculation, and I do agree with them. I see the frustration of the community from their POV, so let's talk about it. What are your guys' thoughts and speculations? What do you think is going on, and are you mad or are you glad? How can we help as a community?

KiraTV's No NDA Delay Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd00DDtsE9c&t=227s

Jahlon's No NDA Delay Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQDDFCwNlKA

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not fussed either way. So far, combat needs the reform rather than polish. Polish can mean anything though. It's not like the current testers wont test before NDA lifts. Those 10k souls have suffered the worst and will continue to suffer. Such is the life of a tester.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Why talk about it? It happened.
  • Options

Talk about it as in. Does it affect you in any way? Does it make you aggravated, or are you okay with it? Stuff like that. We all know it happened.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Only those that have never had and idea planned and designed and then built it would be upset over this.

This best laid plans never survive first contact with reality.

People need to calm down and let them do their thing.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    HawkwoodHawkwood Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    Javionn wrote: »
    So there have been some recent concerns over the "No NDA delay." To me, I don't mind it. The only reason I'm not disappointed is that the game isn't forced to be a sped-up production like Cyberpunk 2077 or No Man's Sky.

Ok so personally I think people are white knighting a little much. Don't get me wrong, they delayed they have there reasons. Yes disappointed, but got over it pretty fast. What I don't understand is saying you don't want another Cyberpunk 2077 or No Mans Sky. Reason being they RELEASED unfinished. NO ONE WANTS INTREPID TO DO THIS. We are not talking about a release, its an alpha (which is already out). Polish is for releases not Alphas. Releasing the NDA was just to show the community "where their at". People don't care if grass didn't load in a zone in an alpha, They do care about seeing the core mechanics of the game.

What I think is really happening is the combat. Its not up to a standard they were expecting and didn't want to put their game out to be judged considering the "most critical" system for gamers is in the middle of changing and wont offer a "true" view of AoC. Which if they just said I don't think a single person would have cared.

In the end Steven clearly loves this game and wants to deliver for the community. I don't see any of these actions as worrisome, but seeing corporate talk is like seeing someone pet a dog in the wrong direction, I just don't like it.
    (Edited for spelling)
  • Options
    Sup @bloodprophet my goodness that's the right attitude. 4real huh? Live a little, try something, and see how it all goes according to schedule! 😆

Imma KEEL IT when the game is released...
    And I'll wait as long as I need to like a hungry 🐺.

Pce

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Games get delayed. I get Ashes fudged when they could release the game. Everyone knew it that knows anything. MMOs take normally about 4-8 years to make. I will be here when the game comes out and I rather they did it right over rushing and giving us a messed up game with low or no polish.
  • Options
    Patience kemosabe. Patience grasshopper. All good things will come with time, only bad things come out rushed.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm fine with the delay but I'm kinda biased as I've always been of the opinion that the NDA should stay until A2 since I don't trust the wider MMO audience to not shit on the game when they see it isn't fully polished with a decent amount of content.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    well at least we can get a look at whats going on
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    I'm fine with the delay but I'm kinda biased as I've always been of the opinion that the NDA should stay until A2 since I don't trust the wider MMO audience to not shit on the game when they see it isn't fully polished with a decent amount of content.

It won't be fully polished for A2 either so why get rid of the NDA then?
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    HixHaxxen wrote: »

Because A2 is where a lot of the big features that people are looking forward to begin to get added. A1 doesn't have a lot of stuff such as nodes above stage 3, naval content, classes, the artisan system etc. No point in showing people A1 testing imo.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    HixHaxxen wrote: »

Because A2 is where a lot of the big features that people are looking forward to begin to get added. A1 doesn't have a lot of stuff such as nodes above stage 3, naval content, classes, the artisan system etc. No point in showing people A1 testing imo.

Got it, it's not polish it's more core game play mechanics. Still don't see how you think people will shit on it in A1, but not in A2 when half their game mechanics come online for the first time. I see you going High Priest with that much faith.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @HixHaxxen
    The worry is because we've already seen people's critical reception of first pass drafts, often expressed as outrage that "AoC is doing this wrong, I won't be playing".

Or Steven saying "btw, particle effects are placeholder atm," and a month later we were still getting "what's with the particle effects?"

It's too early to board the Hype Train, we need more fuel for the journey.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NchDuNchDu Member
    I really don´t like it, but it seems like part of nowadays development cycle to not deliver on date. I really can´t stand the "it´s done when it`s done" mentality cause I am hyped for it now! It is of course my problem but after I`ve waited for games like CU, Shrouds of the Avatar, and Crowfall for so long just to see their studios not getting something viable together is more than frustrating. Especially over the course of many years. For now I´m looking forward to the new "no NDA" Alpha date and lots of sweet footages. This game is ment to be my last MMORPG even in the worst case scenario of not being released at all.

For sure my level of desperation is linked to my hypelevel xD
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited March 2021
    I was as disappointed as the next person but I understand if they came out of the last test with serious issues why they delayed. But also, I think they need to hit their project management targets.
    They need some non-steven educational videos with the engineers, not a talk-show style but proper ongoing edu vids on what and how Alpha development works to educate and temper expectations of the backers and fans - Jahlon suggested this during his show today
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I do like that they compensated by increasing the time for testing. I'm looking forward to testing for weeks or a month at a time instead of a weekend.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    @HixHaxxen
    The worry is because we've already seen people's critical reception of first pass drafts, often expressed as outrage that "AoC is doing this wrong, I won't be playing".

Or Steven saying "btw, particle effects are placeholder atm," and a month later we were still getting "what's with the particle effects?"

I get it. I am right there with you. I don't want this game that I will probably be playing for 10 years, to get a bad rep from people who don't understand the full context of the game or the mechanic they are complaining about. You cant make a game for everyone, and because of that, Those who the game is not for will be critical. Not just in A1 or A2 but 15 years after launch, that's just the gaming community. I just don't see that as an excuse to bury the game from the players who do want to see more, and understand what an Alpha is.
    “Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.”
  • Options
    Javionn wrote: »

Talk about it as in. Does it affect you in any way? Does it make you aggravated, or are you okay with it? Stuff like that. We all know it happened.

Why would it make anyone mad? Or aggravated? It doesn't matter if we are okay with it or not as it happened.
    If there is nothing we can do about it, why get worked up?
  • Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    maouw wrote: »

Its too late for that, my friend. I'm on board with a gun to the conductor's head tellin him full steam ahead.
    source.gif

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My thought process - if they don't want to sell me access to Alpha 1, I don't want to see the game until I can play Alpha 2. I'm tanking for my guild and haven't even watched the video on tanks lol. Is this petty of me? Hell yes it is. This game looks so good to me that I would rather not yearn for it more than I already do.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    My thought process - if they don't want to sell me access to Alpha 1, I don't want to see the game until I can play Alpha 2. I'm tanking for my guild and haven't even watched the video on tanks lol. Is this petty of me? Hell yes it is. This game looks so good to me that I would rather not yearn for it more than I already do.

Oh, well, the ability ####### does ####### as shown in the video.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    meh people will find stuff to complain about no matter what or when. Imo they should just rip the band aid off and take in all the complaints and criticism now that they're still in alpha.
    I believe people forget quickly, and, in a few years when release happens those that turned away now after seeing the alpha will have forgotten all about the bitterness and will see it with fresh eyes.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Roko wrote: »
    meh people will find stuff to complain about no matter what or when. Imo they should just rip the band aid off and take in all the complaints and criticism now that they're still in alpha.
    I believe people forget quickly, and, in a few years when release happens those that turned away now after seeing the alpha will have forgotten all about the bitterness and will see it with fresh eyes.

True, but I think their targets for alpha1 haven't been met and they need more time to hit them.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I think everyone has learnt over the past couple of years that nothing good comes from pressuring forcing rushed half assed content, take all the time they need just release a good game. They appear to be very active and open to criticism from their fans which I feel is why people feel differently about this MMORPG after being burnt so much in the past.