Harvesting mobs/animals vs. mob/animal loot drops

JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Hello again, sorry if creating two posts back to back is considered spam, if so i apologize and feel free to remove this post.
When you defeat an animal like a cow, i'd love for it to be skinnable with a knife to harvest leather from it instead of it just flat out dropping leather for example. I think it adds into the immersion and its a good combination with leather armor crafting as profession. This is just an example, this could apply to many other gatherable resources. Perhaps monsters made of a certain metal/stone that you'll have to pickaxe after defeating it etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is confirmed to be a thing.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • @bloodprophet Where was skinning confirmed? All I've seen is that monsters drop hunting certificates, Items and crafting materials. I think skinning is a great way of obtaining leather crafting materials but I just haven't read anything about it being it's own profession as of yet.
  • This is confirmed to be a thing.

Oh really? Awesome!
    It is on the wiki and Steven said it on a stream.
    My phone doesn't link properly. If nobody else links I'll link it after I get home.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    It is on the wiki and Steven said it on a stream.
    My phone doesn't link properly. If nobody else links I'll link it after I get home.

Thanks! I've watched all the streams, dont remember it sadly. If you could link it, that'd be great because i cant find it for the life of me.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Is it this reference?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Loot_tables#cite_ref-podcast-4-August-2018-1:44:54_18-1

under "Loot Tagging" reference [18]
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    If killing those targets is done by using class/weapon abilities, I will choose this gathering profession.

I hope it won't be a minigame with a diffirent skill line for the killing.

I am not sure how long the animation should be for harvesting or how many skills players need to use after each kill.
    I think it should be fairly quick, otherwise it would soon become tedious.
    edited March 2021
    Yes that is the quote
    Gatherers may have the ability to "spoil" a boss' loot.[18]

If you want to be able to get those mats from the boss, they're just not going to drop for anybody. They will only drop for a master gatherer who is capable of extracting those resources from the creature itself... The reason why we say there's a lot of interdependencies between the crafters of the world and the raiders of the world and our PvPers of the world is because we don't want to house the capability to attain these things all within the adventuring class. We want there to be an influence necessary from the craftsmen's guild to come in to either come and participate and spoil the boss and gather the goods or something along those lines.[18] – Steven Sharif

Thanks Maouw
  • If killing those targets is done by using class/weapon abilities, I will choose this gathering profession.

I hope it won't be a minigame with a diffirent skill line for the killing.

I am not sure how long the animation should be for harvesting or how many skills players need to use after each kill.
    I think it should be fairly quick, otherwise it would soon become tedious.

I believe the speed should be based on your level of skinning + adding a durability on your tool.

For example, if your skinning level is 5, you kill a level 50 mob, it should take WAY longer to skin than it would be for a level 5 mob. When completed, you get a nice chunk of exp, but your tool's durability will be significantly lower. Maybe at a certain sized level gap, the tool could break before you even finished skinning it, making it impossible for a level 5 skinner to skin like level 80 stuff.