Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dynamic Monster Respawns

RhuellRhuell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I couldn't find this mentioned previously, so I decided to create a new discussion.
How are world mobs going to be respawning? I understand it's probably significantly easier and smoother to simply have the mobs appear in their usual spawn, but I think it would be rather interesting, immersive, and plain cool to have the mobs have a more dynamic spawn.
For example: Wolves could come out of a nearby den / cave. Burrowers could dig up out of the ground to repopulate an area. Fish and sea monsters could come out of any numbers of dark holes and sea caves. Crazy/creepy mobs could bud off of other mobs or nearby flora and rapidly grow. Heck, essence based mobs could materialize right in front of you; Just toss in some special effects.
Not exactly a priority, but I believe something like this would add a bit to the immersion of the game. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    For me anyway, while this sounds immersive and cool at first, it will certainly not be when all the fields and forests are barren as a consequence of having a static respawn location camped by players needing to kill those mobs.
    For rare or unique mobs, I would be happy to see a scripted respawn animation from 1 of x respawn locations that adds a little flavour to then.
  • Options
    Well, i'm more referring to a respawn animation vice a static respawn location.
    In other words, the mole monster thing could spawn at any location, but regardless of the spawn location, it always burrows up out of the ground with a relevant animation depending on the type of ground it's burrowing out of. This occurs in place of simply popping into existence.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just a thought. What if you were traveling and came across a "portal" of sorts that was corrupting/spawning additional monsters for that area.

You have the option to grind the mobs but they will just continue to spawn. They don't really offer much incentive to do so other than that levels exp and maybe some random materials.

Once you grind your way and clear a path around the totem/portal/statue/rift (whatever they make it), You can begin attacking it. Doing so spawns a rare/named monster (like a local boss coming to defend it). Epic fight later, those monsters stop spawning for X amount of time until the area becomes corrupt again. It doesn't always have to spawn in the same spots. This would encourage additional exploration, random organized events, additional loot farming.

Got the idea from Gauntlet if any of you remember that in the arcade haha
  • Options
    Ooh, exciting and interactive!
    I love me an interactive world with situations such as you've described. The world (monsters, bandits, fauna and flora, the occasionally entropic essence) moves with and without us, so it makes sense to come across these random events. As long as it's not every five minutes, that is.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah if it was a constant thing, it would be boring. I also would not like to be roaming around and just see a rare mob like WOW has. Forcing players to wait for spawn times with an insane amount of named mobs was annoying. If the world is evolving around us as we play, I want to see both beauty and chaos at the same time.
  • Options
    Something I have been thinking about is how they are gonna place mobs from levels 1 through 50 in each node. Nodes are big, but are they that big? I would also like to see mobs not have a static spawn location, but I think it would be too complicated when considering the variety of mobs that must be active in a node.

I am all down for spawn animations. I remember in BDO the elite monsters have pretty cool spawn animations, maybe something similar for Ashes would be good too.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the action combat preview video Steven is fighting the mushrooms at one point and see's the Death Cap and stops himself because it is to high a level for him at that point.
    Think they will spawn kind of like that where their cousins are around and they will spawn next to or near them forcing people to pay attention. Is that another level 30 or a 50 and I am about to get slapped really hard by it?

Rift has the rifts that open up. If know one goes and deals with it the rift starts spawning mobs and they take off across the map killing mobs and unaware players. Would like to see something similar to this.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love spawn animations!
    The problem is that they require a lot of work, and there are so many to do.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    McShave wrote: »
    Something I have been thinking about is how they are gonna place mobs from levels 1 through 50 in each node.
    They won't have to. That level range needs to be accounted for across the nodes ZoI, and since we are talking about a metropolis for level cap content, that ZoI is likely to include a dozen or more nodes.

You're right that dynamic spawns are not something that is likely to be implemented with how complex the content spawning systems in the game are already.

That said, the OP didn't talk about dynamic spawns at all, all that was mentioned was a spawning method.

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    That said, the OP didn't talk about dynamic spawns at all, all that was mentioned was a spawning method.

That's true, my examples lacked the description and individual variety that I should have included.
    I sort of touched on this in my next post but I would like for spawns to be affected by the environment in which the monster is spawning. So if a burrower spawns in a plains biome, it breaches the ground with a mound of dirt and grass surrounding a hole in the ground. Maybe even have this egress point be used by other mobs with the same tag/ other similar mobs and then have them walk or run to their designated areas.
    But, if this mob spawns in a tundra / snow covered biome, we see a mix of dirt and snow as this burrower is still probably digging through the dirt and bringing it up with them.
    Another example could be a winged creature blip into existence inside of a dense tree, but then flying down to ground level. When the bird exits the a leafy tree, branches move, leaves explode out appropriately (or not at all if it's gentle), but when it flies down from a tree laden with snow, a pile falls and forms on the ground below.
    Nice, simple animations that show the creatures of Verra interacting with the world around them in ways that change based upon their surroundings.

All this being said, I'm all for people discussing any form of dynamic spawns.