Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to Choose an Archetype

One issue I have always faced when starting a new MMORPG is how to choose the right starting class (or archetype in the case of AoC).
The decision is arguably the most important one next to which MMORPG to play since it determines the feel of the gameplay for the next 50+ hours you will spend in the game before you start creating Alts.
Usually, the go-to strategy for me and my friends was to look at some forum posts where this topic was discussed or to take some sort of makeshift test someone uploaded which got you a recommendation after a couple of questions.
This barely helped when there were only 6 classes to choose from, now think about the total 49 possible final classes I think this decision will be even tougher for AoC.

I think the idea of a quiz to determine the character traits of the player and his expectations of the class/gameplay experience, in general, is a great idea. The main issue is that it is almost never directly supported by the company running the game, but almost always fan-made. Or if it is supported natively it feels like it was made as a TGIF project and is not well thought out.

If such a quiz were to be offered by Intrepid Studios directly I think this would be an amazing feature to have, if it is done right and with enough depth. And it would help to ensure that new players start with the correct class and thus have a better experience playing the game on average.

For me the perfect setup would be an optional quiz which is accessible directly from the character creation screen which contains two variants of the quiz:
1. One with ~10-15 questions for someone who only wants a little guidance
2. One with ~50 questions for someone who would really like some personalized recommendations

The result page should show you your top ~3 best matching archetype/final class and why they would fit the players character/desired playstyle. As well as some rather short clips showing the classes in-game and featuring some of their key mechanics/spells.

What do you think?

P.S. I spent about 5 minutes searching the forum for a similar discussion but did not find it --> kindly point me to the right discussion if I missed it!

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It could work. I personally don't take kindly to letting a test tell me what I am going to enjoy. I am no stranger to restarting at the drop of a hat if I don't enjoy a class.

Having a optional test on the website or even a fan made one on the forums is not out of the realm of possibility.

I think good old fashion experimentation and leveling a few alts to level 10-20 is a better gage for anyone with no idea what they want to play.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I feel like a test could be a complicated thing. Not so much mechanically, but because the level of class customisation seems to be so vast.
    Your Sentinel might be different than mine and so forth.

Ultimately the best thing they can do is release Archetype profiles with a list of the skills and effects up to level 50.

Maybe allow me to see the options for augments when paired with the secondary Archetype.

I am, however, also wary of possibly spoiling the fun of trial and error. Weigh it against the possible issue of wasting too much time into a class you ultimately don't like and having to create a whole secondary alt to play as a different Archetype. (FFXIV had it right in being able to play all classes on one character)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021
    ARCHETYPE QUIZ by Daveywavey

Do you like hurting things?
    If YES, go to A1
    If NO, go to B1

A1: Do you like STABBY STABBY or PEW PEW?
    If STABBY STABBY then go to A2
    If PEW PEW then go to A3

A2: Do you like to be sneeeaky?
    If YES then play Rogue
    If NO then play Fighter

A3: Do you like da magicks?
    If YES then play Mage
    If NO then play Ranger

B1: Do you like being soppy and helpful?
    If YES then go to B2
    If NO then go to B3

B2: Do you like being blamed whenever anybody dies?
    If YES then play Cleric
    If NO then play Bard

B3: Do you like getting hit?
    If YES then play Tank
    If NO then play Summoner
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I think we need to get that on the wiki :p
  • Options
    I believe overtime the choice will be easier because of community efforts. Fanmade tests and videos on this topic, mixed with some of your own opinions and logic can make for a good beginner's choice. I think just experimenting yourself is still the best way to go, i used to always play fast-paced agile rogue-ish classes thinking i'd never enjoy a mage class.

But then i was forced to try mage one time and i LOVED the big claps it was capable of doing. Even if you think you know what you want, im sure there's some things you dont know. Experimenting helps with this!
  • Options
    You were forced to play a Mage...? :/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    You were forced to play a Mage...? :/

Argument with a particular female about if mages or assassins are cooler.

Now i like both, i wanna play a magical assassin.

• Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nothing beats actually being able to try out the skills/abilities of the toon at max level...

Why not have an (optional) in-game feature where you could take a fully pre-made character into a locked instances with the full toolkit to try the spells rotations on some enemy/friendly NPCs? Cant use the character for any other content, but something that would give them a sense of the abilities/rotation/etc.

Maybe build in a small tutorial for each? Perhaps just cover the 8 main archtypes, not a full tutorial for all possible sub-classes.
  • Options
    Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Feeling kind of attacked by davey's thoughts on summoners. Using his test I'm a pacifist that doesn't want to be helpful and afraid of getting hit... Maybe I just really like pokemon as a kid? Or I enjoy forcing beings of unimaginable power to do my biding because I'm to lazy to do the actual fighting.. or maybe I'm just trying to see if I can summon a few succubus.. succubi? Succubus's... Plural whatever you know what I mean
  • Options
    In most MMO's playing them to 10 - 20 is a pretty realistic idea of how they are going to play end game. Just with higher stats. In this game if the tree like system is done right then you might be able to somewhat guess how they play by looking at the potential upgrades.

Your main archetype is going to be how you play despite your class anyway. You can pick your class based on what playstyle you generally like in most other games. Most of the information will probably be on youtube by release anyway.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Intalru wrote: »
    Feeling kind of attacked by davey's thoughts on summoners.

And you're a dirty Tulnar, too. Things just aren't going to work out between us. It's not me, it's you.
  • Options
    Saedu wrote: »
    Nothing beats actually being able to try out the skills/abilities of the toon at max level...

Why not have an (optional) in-game feature where you could take a fully pre-made character into a locked instances with the full toolkit to try the spells rotations on some enemy/friendly NPCs? Cant use the character for any other content, but something that would give them a sense of the abilities/rotation/etc.

Maybe build in a small tutorial for each? Perhaps just cover the 8 main archetypes, not a full tutorial for all possible sub-classes.

I'm actually strong against having a meta form without hours and hours of gameplay. One of the things im most excited for is the unknown, the discovery, and the lack of guides that will be around. The exploration and learning of a new mmo is a lot of the appeal. Let people get max level and raid for a few months before a standard meta is developed

Side note, I hope that the post launch balance team does a good job making most primary archetypes viable in both pvp and pve. I can happily respec my second class.
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • Options
    zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    I think an official test offered on the website could be a fun and welcome addition, I would say it only recommends a primary architype because you can switch the secondary around and play with things anyways. I already know what role I like to play so a list of class abilities is generally good enough for me to decide. That being said when I see tests like this I tend to take them anyways just because I find the answers interesting.
  • Options
    zammwich wrote: »
    That being said when I see tests like this I tend to take them anyways just because I find the answers interesting.

What result did you get in my test?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think they will have a very simple one question survey; "Which archetype do you want to play?" You take that survey by picking your archetype.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Survey:
    Q1: Which archetype do you want to play?
    OP: You tell me.
    Q2: How indecisive can a person be?
    OP: Yes.
    Conclusion:
    Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Mage, Ranger, Rogue, Summoner, Tank - 1 of these suit you best.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    The Archetypes are already general enough by name.

One of them is literally called "Tank"

You like to tank? play TANK
  • Options
    zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bard :P which is pretty much in line with my plan xD

• Options
    zammwich wrote: »
    Bard :P which is pretty much in line with my plan xD

Woop! It works! o:)
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hedgemon wrote: »
    Saedu wrote: »

Maybe build in a small tutorial for each? Perhaps just cover the 8 main archetypes, not a full tutorial for all possible sub-classes.

I'm actually strong against having a meta form without hours and hours of gameplay. One of the things im most excited for is the unknown, the discovery, and the lack of guides that will be around. The exploration and learning of a new mmo is a lot of the appeal. Let people get max level and raid for a few months before a standard meta is developed

Side note, I hope that the post launch balance team does a good job making most primary archetypes viable in both pvp and pve. I can happily respec my second class.

What does this have to do with forming a meta? It just gives people the hands on opportunity to see if the "feel" of a class (with its toolkit) is right for them at a very basic level before they commit the 50+ hours to get to a point where they have the toolkit. It isn't going to tell them what is the "best" class.

It anything it could help people avoid making the mistake of trying to reroll a meta because they could quickly try out the other class and see the feel is not right for them.
  • Options
    Well picking one based on what role you want to play works the best. xD I would wait until they reveal a lot more about the archetypes.

I mean currently I want to play an Archetype that I have no idea how it plays based on the aesthetic alone. That could play like anything as Bards haven't been relevant in an MMO in a long time.

I'm kinda curious how big of an impact weapons will have on how the class plays. As in will there be weapon skills kinda like Guild Wars 2 has, but only for a single ability slot and not determine all of your skills? xD That's my prediction in how weapons might work. As there won't really be auto attacks in this game. So something has to take it's place. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East