Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fishing, yes lets get it right.

Whitie7Whitie7 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Thoughts on how exactly fishing should work, from playing BDO and ESO I would love something in the middle.
I love the auto fishing option but I also love having to actually play the game to catch fish, maybe something like an auto fishing option but with diminishing returns promoting players to fish manually if they want the good returns.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Copy/paste Archeages fishing, but do a better job with bait options and give game fish a use other than turning in for gold.
  • Options
    Whitie7Whitie7 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Noaani wrote: »
    Copy/paste Archeages fishing, but do a better job with bait options and give game fish a use other than turning in for gold.

I think for rare fish they could be used in certain meal creations etc that apply different buffs, also good for trade markets if that's a thing or even used in player's houses as a wall mount trophy.
  • Options

pretty much this. If they could squeeze in the variety of terrain that Final fantasy 14 fishing has that would be awesome too. Cloud fishing, lava fishing, desert fishing, etc.

as for other things to use the fish for, why not add them to a fish farm on your plot of land so they can be used for generating caviar and other materials.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I liked fishing off the back of the boat in Darkfall whilst we were sailing around. Not having set fishing spots makes this possible. As long as I can fish while a boat is moving I am happy. If I have to be stuck in one spot I will likely never fish.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I liked fishing off the back of the boat in Darkfall whilst we were sailing around. Not having set fishing spots makes this possible. As long as I can fish while a boat is moving I am happy. If I have to be stuck in one spot I will likely never fish.

Trolling would be a nice addition to the game for sure.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »

pretty much this. If they could squeeze in the variety of terrain that Final fantasy 14 fishing has that would be awesome too. Cloud fishing, lava fishing, desert fishing, etc.

as for other things to use the fish for, why not add them to a fish farm on your plot of land so they can be used for generating caviar and other materials.

I mean, sure, but I have a few other things I'd like to see.

Scales being refined down and added to dyes to give dyed items a sparkle finish.
    Fish being refined for plant fertalizer and/or animal food.
    Fish oil being harvested for use in medicine (potions).
    Process fish bones to produce gelatin (which could be used in food or potions).
    Process swim bladders for isinglass (which should be required for any refined beer or wine).
    And obviously you should need to use multiple different types of fish for an underwater breathing potion.

I'd also like to see things like sharks teeth and skin used to make crafting tools - saws and sandpaper respectively.
  • Options
    The fishing in Red Dead Redemption 2? Not exactly sure how to translate that into an MMORPG but it felt pretty immersive.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just want fishing to be more than walking up to a body of water, right clicking a fishing rod and going AFK. Why bother having it in the game at that point?

I’m not even a huge fishing enthusiast or anything, but I’d love to see a more interesting and/or immersive fishing experience as well as all other gathering activities.
  • Options
    Make it so that only certain fish can be caught at certain locations. This would actually give people a reason to make ships and explore the ocean. Rarer fish can exist at remote or contested areas.

I don't know whether to make it auto-fishing, or a short minigame though. If it's auto-fishing, the reward for fishing needs to be very small, or I bet people will use it as a bot that requires basically no code.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    edited March 2021
    As fishing is a gathering artisan class I don't think it should should have it's own mini game. I believe if you want it to be active, you make it like all the other gathering classes and have the fish only available as a cluster resource.

maybe put a little fishing ship in the game (an aquatic mule), somewhere to store your ocean fish and something attractive for the pirates! :wink:

auto fishing? NO. There is no AFK leveling, I assume that to extend to artisan classes too. (how you level processing and not want to go AFK is another challenge for the devs.)
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No afk fishing I hope, it makes it seem like if you don't leave your pc on to do all the afk activities then you are not playing smart, it's the one thing I disliked strongly about BDO.
  • Options
    Actually, thinking about it some more, maybe it would be best to have fishing be exactly like gathering, except in water and with a fishing rod. I'm assuming gathering something will cause it to despawn and respawn on a timer.
  • Options
    RhuellRhuell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Idk, I feel like they shouldn't make it as simple as click and collect.

Making it more interactive (the standard dipping bobber, tension meters affecting the reel in. You know, the industry standard) would open up the door to other interactive gathering skills, such as trapping or essence harvesting.
  • Options
    As long as what you get is equivalent to the time spent into it unlike every other fishing system in pretty much every other game. I will be happy no matter how it turns out. It would be nice if I could hit keyboard buttons to fish though.

I won't care about my first point if you don't need a lot of them to make stuff. In which case it would be more like real fishing if it didn't result in a lot of stuff, but what you got is enough to use. Too many variables, but I wouldn't mind if they did their own thing with fishing.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    My favourite fishing type, in a game out of question: Warframe!!!
    You have a spear, you see a pond and you have to physically hit the spear onto the fish to catch it. Its value is dependent on the rarity, quality and size of the fish.

• Options
    I’d like to see 🐟 nodes locked behind capped fishing skill. Fishing has always been the laughing stock of professions. Hopefully Ashes can change that.

#makefishinggreatagain
  • Options
    Honestly I see the same problem is probably going to happen in this game. I think that is why they are allowing people to use all professions of certain categories because of professions like fishing. I don't mind having some nodes profession locked.

Vanilla WoW actually did have certain quests profession locked. It worked really well in that game.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East