Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild Chat

Can't find the info I want on this - would be cool if someone can point out a reference:-

When we have more than one character:
Do we know if you can still access Character 1's guild chat box while on Character 2? Or will you be separated from your guild when you're on a second character?
This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

Comments

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    different characters are not associated with the same guild.

Character A can be in guild 1
    Character B in guild 2

unlikely that B could access the guild chat of guild 1. That would seem pretty scuffed
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I absolutely wouldn't be a fan of this happening.
  • Options
    Is there a particular reason you'd want to block out the friends you normally play with just cos you're on a different character? I always enjoyed chatting to each guild simultaneously in ESO. Didn't matter which I was playing with, I'd still have fun chatting with all five. And it meant that if I was grinding somewhere and someone needed some help, I'd be able to go and help them out.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason you'd want to block out the friends you normally play with just cos you're on a different character?
    If I want to socialize with people in my guild, not having access toe guild chat won't stop me.

The main reason I am against it is it will break guild espionage.

The guild dynamic in ESO is nothing at all like the guild dynamic in Ashes, and so most systems simply can't be moved from one game to the other.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021
    How would it break guild espionage? Surely, it would enhance it.

And, i was simply using the enjoyment of being able to speak with different groups of friends, I wasn't trying to compare the two game's guild features.
  • Options
    How would it break guild espionage? Surely, it would enhance it.
    Join a guild on an alt, have access to their guild chat on all characters.

Making it so you don't have to do anything is not exactly enhancing it.
  • Options
    You have to sneak your way in and not get found out. Seems kinda espionagey, to me. And yeah, that's totally a word..... :p
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Too alt friendly for my blood.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    You have to sneak your way in and not get found out. Seems kinda espionagey, to me. And yeah, that's totally a word..... :p

Yeah, but once in, that's it, it's all done.

Without this "feature", continuing to spy on a guild would be an active task.
  • Options
    With the number of different chats we already have come to know will bein the game, it's somewhat hard to imagine that guilds/guild communities *won't* have the option to create their own custom, join-able channels, in-game. Most games allow this, and it greatly feels as though it'll be an option in AoC.

Jeff Bard worked on Star Wars Galaxies, and this was an option, even back when the game was in live-production; I imagine he'll ensure we can do something similar, here. It would seem like an oversight to not have this option.

• Options
    squeeteesqueetee Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »

I totally agree with this. Once in their is no challenge to maintaining your cover with this proposed setup.

SWG had some great spy plays during server wide guild wars when I played. Catching spies logging in and out of characters was a big victory lol.
  • Options

What difference would it make? You either type to your spying guild through Discord or through an in-game chat channel.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

What difference would it make? You either type to your spying guild through Discord or through an in-game chat channel.

It means I can be off raiding with my actual guild, and still spying on you.

If espionage is to be a thing, it should at least take some commitment.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021
    How much useful information do you reasonably expect to get just from a guild chat? If you want to keep tabs on my raid, you wouldn't be in my raid channel; if you want to keep tabs on my gathering party, you won't be in my party channel; etc. But, in guild chat, you might find out what movie I'm watching tonight, or share in the latest in-joke that you may or may not get, depending on how much effort you put into the target guild. Or you could join in a whinge at the latest nerfs to a favourite archetype, etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    How much useful information do you reasonably expect to get just from a guild chat?
    Time and location of caravans, raids, groups etc.

We dont need to be able to react to the information immediately, we dont even need to read it immediately. We could just set up a window with chat from that guild alone, and read it after.

I mean, most guilds are going to plan caravan runs days in advance, and if you can keep an eye on their chat without even being logged in to their guild, it just makes this information retrieval trivial.

Literally the only way I could see this being acceptable is if the guild were able to see the name of the character you are logged in on, what guild that character is in, what character of yours is in the guild inquestion, and where in the world you are. Even if you aren't speaking, you should show up on the guild rroster with all of that information.