Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game guides

lRiderslRiders Member
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
the guides are not bad but I do hope that the game is as balanced as possible

Comments

• Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, in today's day and age it's impossible to stop people from min maxing and especially so when the information is so readily available online. The best thing they can do is to balance the game as much as possible, but that is never easy.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    Not having DPS meters is one way to combat this. (Sorry in advance if this spurs another dps meters thread)

Access to metrics, while good in some ways, also serves in big part to homogenize gameplay among players.
  • Options
    I prefer a "figure on my own but open to friendly advice" type of play which feels quite immersive to me.

Guides like "These are the Skills you need to use on each level and this is the only tree you need to invest in" make me not want to even try that class/content. So I don't read them but I appreciate them existing for people who want to follow a concrete plan.
  • Options
    I remember there being a lot of fun guides for ESO which were less like "This is the ideal combination for that class" and more like "This build will make your speed 200% while crouched" "This will make you a perfect vampire roleplayer" and such and such. I think this attitude is fun!
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    I also think the fact that there is essentially going to be like a hundred places to level will combat this.

With games like WoW you have guides that say, "Go here and do x, y and b quests, then head over here and do m, n and z quests". In Ashes however apparently every node will be a different place to start levelling. In addition, each server will have nodes progress in completely different ways, meaning each server will have different high level areas.

All of this means that already the base systems that Ashes has set up will combat the typical "1-80 levelling guides" you find everywhere for other games. There's too many variables to account for to create a standardized guide.
This discussion has been closed.