Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: Details, Logs, & Recount, OH MY!

Preface: I personally loathe logs/meters, but I worry the mass of log sluts and min/maxers in the world cannot be ignored.

Thus, I present an alternative:
A practice dummy with a time-to-kill timer, perhaps with a leaderboard.
-Have a static dummy where you're only dpsing, and one with random mechanics that require movement.
-It should take around 5 minutes to kill the dummy to get a realistic rotation reading.

I believe this would quell most hate for lack of add-ons, as most of these arguments boil down to 'how will i know I'm a deeps god'.
I also believe this would be a valuable system to add as time trials seem to be gaining popularity in most genres.

Please let me know if this is a topic that has already been properly addressed.

I look forward to everyone's feedback!

<3

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXIV has this. I think it is called the "Stone Sea Sky" or something. You select a target boss and have to beat the dummy in under 3 mins. If you do that you are raid ready.

What I have noticed is that no one uses it. It is a well thought out and well designed compromise, but it would only get used if DPS meters were not possible.

IG does not want DPS meters, but as I said in a recent thread. That depends on them. They have to put effort into making it so that combat data is protected from being read. This is entirely possible in a number of ways. They just have to make it happen. Otherwise we will see DPS meters.

I am fine both ways. When ACT is not up to date in FFXIV on patch day it is fine. I still raid. I just don't get to parse. DPS meters are not needed. They are just helpful.

Your idea is not bad. Leaderboards would be fun.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    LoganLogan Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    IG does not want DPS meters, but as I said in a recent thread. That depends on them. They have to put effort into making it so that combat data is protected from being read. This is entirely possible in a number of ways. They just have to make it happen. Otherwise we will see DPS meters.

If I remember correctly, Intrepid gave a hard 'no' on add-ons. But are you saying the combat data would still be exportable to 3rd party logs unless they block that? Have they given any word on this?

I agree logs can be convenient and helpful, but they can also cause more problems than they fix. That said, if they were a little harder to come by, like having to go to a third party site, that could reduce some of the casual toxicity you get with in-game meters.
  • Options
    Logan wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Intrepid gave a hard 'no' on add-ons. But are you saying the combat data would still be exportable to 3rd party logs unless they block that? Have they given any word on this?

I agree logs can be convenient and helpful, but they can also cause more problems than they fix. That said, if they were a little harder to come by, like having to go to a third party site, that could reduce some of the casual toxicity you get with in-game meters.

There will be attempts to create third party addons for sure. There is a variety of ways to capture combat data. There are also a variety of ways IG can make that data un-obtainable.

I have seen third party addons use real time screen capture and text recognition to parse data from games. It is just a matter of how dedicated the community is to making DPS meters work, and how much prevention IG puts into making DPS meters not possible.

Obviously I would not expect IG to give any details on their plans to safeguard combat data. To do so would be a clue for third party addon creators. I don't ever want to see any kernel level anti-cheat or anything like that. I am sure they can come up with some elegant solutions to preventing parsing.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Logan wrote: »

There are third party addons for sure.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    There are third party addons for sure.
    Fixed that for you.

I think I explained pretty well in a few threads at this point that they absolutely can be prevented. It is just up to IG to do so.

I don't think I have ever seen a MMO take blocking combat logs seriously. They are always like : "Gee, golly, shucks guys... please don't do that...".

You know I am good both ways though. I am not going to not use a DPS meter out of principle. If it exists I will use it.
    TVMenSP.png