[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please don't release base creatures as cash shop cosmetics

I feel the best approach to the cosmetics for mounts/pets is release different flavors of the same creature, but leaving the base model as a in game achievable, in example, we can have the Giant Turtle obtainable in game, but the cosmos turtle as a cash shop skin. I honestly didn't like how vanilla the rabbit mount we got in the cash shop looks, that would make really hard for a rabbit mount to be obtainable in game... I would totally love to see different flavors of mounts being sold for real money tho.

Comments

• Agree with this, as long as they don't make the cash-shop things waay cooler than rare mounts. Would love to have a cool ass mount without paying money nor it looking too default.
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    if anything I think the ones obtainable in game should be less basic than the ones in the cash shop.

imo put all the basic stuff in the cash shop and leave all the cool effects like lightning and flame stuff to be obtainable in game.
    2PXdm1m
  • That would work for me too :D
  • zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Id honestly prefer they step away from so many cash shop mounts/cosmetics. It worry's me a bit that there are already so many when the game isn't even near release. I feel like the vast majority of appearances should be available in game to earn and the cash shop should be more reserved for things that are holiday or event related and add that themed flair to existing in game models.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    zammwich wrote: »
    Id honestly prefer they step away from so many cash shop mounts/cosmetics. It worry's me a bit that there are already so many when the game isn't even near release. I feel like the vast majority of appearances should be available in game to earn and the cash shop should be more reserved for things that are holiday or event related and add that themed flair to existing in game models.

I worry about this too, but I'm trying to keep in mind that they're still releasing gear sets for the 10-20 range. It'll take take them a little to get all the way up to the 50-60 range, let alone any special sets through special questlines or dungeons. And unfortunately, they can't show us EVERYTHING they're working on :p there's bound to be plenty of in-game things that they'll want to keep secret.

The result is that a quarter of the art assets we see are cash-shop related, which would be way too much for a finished game.

I also hope that the rate that they're "creating" new cosmetic sets right now (armor set + armor piece + pet + mount + building + vehicle, once a month) slows down once the game is live. At the very least, the amount of, & quality of the ingame achievable stuff needs to match the cash shop stuff
  • zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Shoelid wrote: »

I worry about this too, but I'm trying to keep in mind that they're still releasing gear sets for the 10-20 range. It'll take take them a little to get all the way up to the 50-60 range, let alone any special sets through special questlines or dungeons. And unfortunately, they can't show us EVERYTHING they're working on :p there's bound to be plenty of in-game things that they'll want to keep secret.

The result is that a quarter of the art assets we see are cash-shop related, which would be way too much for a finished game.

I also hope that the rate that they're "creating" new cosmetic sets right now (armor set + armor piece + pet + mount + building + vehicle, once a month) slows down once the game is live. At the very least, the amount of, & quality of the ingame achievable stuff needs to match the cash shop stuff

Agreed, really the in game achievable stuff should come out at a much higher rate then cash shop considering there is a sub to play. It would be one thing if the only thing driving the live game was shop purchases. Im still feeling optimistic just got that little worry at the back of my mind.

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought the plan was to keep the cosmetics drastically different than what is achievable in game. I want to see a very small pool of cash shop cosmetics that are nothing like the very large pool of in game cosmetics.

"Don't cross the streams"
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Hiya! Just a couple of quick notes here - first, the cosmetic pets/mounts that have been released are variants of creatures that will be visible in-game, such as NPCs you may be fighting! These NPCs may have a variety of different looks and styles based on the environment they're located in and other factors (so there's not necessarily a "base" version), and the version available as a cosmetic would then only be available as a skin in that regard. These creatures are all ones that are needed to populate Verra anyways, so offering a version in the Shop works in tandem with creating other versions for in-game!

In addition, here's a bit more on what we've shared as our plans for in-game achievable goodies as well:

"Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means. Cosmetics achievable in-game will be on-par, and in the case of legendary skins, even more elaborate than shop items." (reference with sources)
    community_management.gif
  • So basically they will be recolors of the versions in game, but could still be different in other ways.
    Also higher rariety skins will be free and better than the shop versions.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • I don't like the fact that there is a cash shop at all, but seemingly these days there is no way around it, even though there is a monthly subscription.
    Anyway, for me, in-game obtainable rare mounts are mandatory and no cash shop mount could ever replace the value of a mount which was achieved in-game.
    I really love what I've seen about the game so far, and it sounds hard because it's only the look, but if the only possible way to ride a cool mount instead of a boring base horse would be buying it from the cash shop, this could be a dealbreaker for me, and I think also for many more.
  • @piesenrenis no need to worry, the devs take this concept very seriously. You can see what the devs have planned for mounts on the wiki and as they stated,
    "The Cosmetic store enables players to purchase Cosmetics for use in Ashes of Creation.[86] The cosmetic store offers limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development.[87]

Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.[87]
    Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.[88]"(https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts)