[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Golden particles/dust effects of weapons in melee

IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Anyone else feel these effects is over the top and becomes too repeatable visually?

It would be better for those effects to be part of specific weapon enchantments or rare/legendary weapons imo. In this way they will visually stand out more from more mainstream weapons and feel more "special". What do you guys think?

At least if its gonna stay, give us an option to toggle these effects off if people want more visibility in melee etc :blush:
Izil.png

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have a feeling a lot of the effects will be moved around later on. The weapon vfx we have seen so far are likely going to used for the more powerful/rare weapons. Those rare weapons haven't been implemented in game yet so the devs have just put the effects onto the weapons they have already implemented just to see how they will look.

I could be completely wrong of course but that is how I would handle it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • That could be good, I do agree with Izil though, those effects at the moment are a bit much on the melee weapons. It’s a bit too flashy for how repetitive it is, it’s distracting.
  • Especially that X move
  • WASD2Move wrote: »
    Especially that X move

Hey, if you didn't know, there's a cogwheel in the top right of your previous comment which you can use to edit the comment to add things you might've forgotten to add. It's probably better than writing another comment to prevent cluttering in threads. Just telling ya in case you didnt know.
  • Personally not a fan of those golden sparkle particles in general, it feels like they are on everything in this game and to see them on basic melee swings is just disappointing. There are a lot of different types of vfx that could be used on those from paint bursh strokes following tip of the weapon to slight afterimage following the swing. I hope there will be some major changes for visual effects to push this game's visual style to the top.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I also prefer just the item design to be visible on melee weapons.
    The guard the hilt the blade are pieces of art, why cover them up?
    Unless it's magic/cursed/blessed
  • GoratrixGoratrix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    Agreed with most people here. Not a huge fan of the sparkles on weapons.
    In fact if I can I will be playing/role playing a "darker" type of character. And the golden sparkles will be the opposite of what I would like to see on a warlock or that type of character. IMO either 100% remove them and leave just the weapon animation, or give us the option of changing it.
  • The animations are pretty quick, so I think it's a bit more clear when there's a trail following the weapon swings. Maybe it could be toned down a little, but it doesn't bother me as-is.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd prefer a motion blur following the weapon rather than pixie dust. I think that would achieve the same effect while not being overly twinkly.

We've been told multiple times that the graphics needs more revision to get things right, and that they are starting overly flashy before toning things down. That was mostly referring to skill appearances but I imagine that also applies to mundane weapon animations as well.

Hhak63P.png
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    I'd prefer a motion blur following the weapon rather than pixie dust. I think that would achieve the same effect while not being overly twinkly.

We've been told multiple times that the graphics needs more revision to get things right, and that they are starting overly flashy before toning things down. That was mostly referring to skill appearances but I imagine that also applies to mundane weapon animations as well.

Agree!

But you could also use pixie dust to help differentiate a spell vs motion blur for weapon skills.

(?)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I like the sparks from Rift, they can probably mix in light elemental stuff if a weapon is enchanted.