[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Death Mechanics/Visuals

WASD2MoveWASD2Move Member
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Hi, not sure if this is a supposed to be a place for design ideas, and I’m no game designer, but I have and idea I think would be cool regarding the death mechanic. I’ve been following the game since about July and every time I see a death and respawn it seems to be at a set destination, could be wrong. I think WoW has a could good ideas here. The ghost walk, whilst sometimes too long and almost always frustrating, was also a part of the journey and time to think on how to better face the threat that had defeated you.

I think Ashes could use this. I think players should have the choice upon death to decide whether they want to respawn at that set respawn point (close-ish to your body) or ghost walk from a slightly farther point to their corpse. If you walk to your corpse you incur no penalty. If you respawn at the point it’s maybe a minor penalty, (i.e. 5 points of durability from each piece of equipped gear).

I also think the respawn animations for each could be different, like defending from a bright light if you don’t ghost walk, or your body turning to ash and then your body being rebirthed like a Phoenix if you get back to your corpse. (Thought it was a super cool use of the theme)

Not sure if this is the place for a suggestion like this...just thought of it and was excited. Might already be a thread for this... if so, sorry!

Comments

• Oh, and obviously those respawn points and their differing distances would have to be well thought out. I liked WoW’s almost always being a graveyard, just for the story there, but it often made some walks unbearably long. I was thinking various broken shrines, runed pillars, graves/graveyards, or “nests of Mother Nature”. Various small pieces of the world building that aren’t super prominent but memorable. Then the faster respawn puts you at the closest one, and the ghost walk, the second or third closest one. You could even try to play mediation or reflection into the choice to walk.

Again, just some ideas I was excited about.
  • As for corpse camping...brief invulnerability/sizable buff toward only the players that dealt damage in the player’s death?
    I’s a rough idea, but I think it could have some feet if it was balanced correctly...

Again though, this matter might already be settled.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yesterdays stream Steven talked about this. (Is not on youtube as I write this) At 1:50:10 on their Twitch channel they answer a question about death and go on to show the first pass of the effects and the lore behind resurrecting.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.