[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How will the game handle spell effects when multiple players present?

I watched most of the gameplay footages and the spell effects looks really nice but i can't seem to imagine how players would be able to focus on npcs / objectives in a dungeon / raid if all of those particle effects would be visible for all the players. Will there be any solution for it?

For example in wow, there are spell effects that are less visible for others than it's own caster, so players can easily see which effect belongs to them and solves the "problem" mentioned in the title.

Comments

• I think the effects that they show in the footage are effects for specific enchantments or legendary weapons.
    They're just put on regular weapons as a placeholder, since they dont have legendary weapons yet.
  • Did you miss the part of the stream with the thousand bears that didnt suddenly explode the server? I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they are moving in the right direction to deal with mass pvp.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • I saw the 1000 bears but bears probably won't shoot shiny particles.
  • ArzenaI wrote: »
    I saw the 1000 bears but bears probably won't shoot shiny particles.

Steven explained that there are calculations that each bear has to make. This is his way of giving a demonstration on the power of their servers. Just because it's not "shiny particles" doesnt mean the calculations needed suddenly dont exist.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To add a bit to what Sathrago said, shiny particles are rendered by your pc on the client side not the server. They wanted to show server capacity, not client capacity yet.
    2PXdm1m
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Arzenal is looking more at the aesthetics of all the abilities filling up your screen from everyone doing stuff not server ability.
    I am pretty sure they will have a way for you to turn down what effects you see from other players but don't have a direct quote. basing this off of the fact they want the game to run on lower end machines and to many particle effects end details lower machines struggle with.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • I seriously dislike the spell effects, they are over the top and distracting. Looks should be secondary to functionality.

In the video today (Alpha Two Story Arc Systems Preview) The ridiculous spell effects from that giant two hander was extremely distracting and unnecessary.

I am concerned about the over the top spell effects I stopped playing other games because of this very reason.

Just make the abilities work, the flashy style of spell effects that have infiltrated games today is ruining my yes my gaming experiences. I get some may like it and that's fine I just don't.
  • It's ugly and distracting with just 4 players. Imagine it with the planned party size of 8, or in any of the large-scale content the game is selling us on. It wouldn't just be unreadable in a 500 player siege, it would be hideous. Worst of both worlds.

Excessive VFX look terrible, aren't readable, and perform worse than a more animation-focused approach to spectacle. If you want it to look flashy and high fantasy, there are better ways to go about it than dropping flashbangs with every basic attack.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    BDO on max settings and FF14 has 5 times more VFX than what was presented by ashes, not an issue because people can tune it down
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I wonder how many times Intrepid will need to scream that there'll be VFX sliders so you can increase or decrease the spell VFX to your hearts content before people finally stop going "reeee the spell VFX are too flashy!!!".
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Talents wrote: »
    I wonder how many times Intrepid will need to scream that there'll be VFX sliders so you can increase or decrease the spell VFX to your hearts content before people finally stop going "reeee the spell VFX are too flashy!!!".

So? The standard should be good, not like this effect mess they're showing right now
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Garrtok wrote: »
    Talents wrote: »

So? The standard should be good, not like this effect mess they're showing right now

But what if we enjoy the awesome flashy vfx.

bzuzzysq2os0.gif
  • I'd like the ability to only show certain key abilities on other players and only show my own classes spell effects and the enemy's.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • VFX Sliders. I do wish they would use them in a stream though to show the player base what that looks like. Down the road goals I am sure.
  • Cinq0Cinq0 Member
    Garrtok wrote: »
    are you complaining about having to change one slider in the settings
  • If the slider is there that is good; however if using the slider reduces the ability to see incoming damage warnings then it is not good. This is a MMO where many many players will be on the same template, over the top spell effects makes that template look like a big blob of messy flashy garbage.