[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Transmog stuff from the Live

Hearing the stream, Steven mentioned that Transmog might likely to happen in the future.

Will this only affect the Person holding gear or Everyone sees the "Skin" that the person is using?

Cause in my opinion it is a bad idea that other person sees the "skin" since it would be misleading in the combat. Andd.. also the Chat reacted wildly when this topic was mentioned XD

Comments

• everyone will see the skin and he often talked about it will happen.
    i mean there will be a cosmetic store where you can buy ''only cosmetic items'' that will change your appearance but not you stats so thats already like a ''transmog'' plus the Monthly full Costume Sets are also like a transmog so wear it as a full Set but its just for the looks.
    uwu
  • If I'm not mistaken Steven explained in the past that all the cosmetics are skins that will be applied to armor and weapons etc. but that you therefore need to own the base item to apply it to.

I take this to mean that you can have a "Bandit's leather cuirass" and cosmetics will make it look cooler and have different effect, but it will still be recognizable as a "Bandit's leather cuirass".

Has there been any change on this direction? Can a level 1 player wear a full set of epic looking armor "hiding" a loincloth?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • If you have a specific gear slot cosmetic, you will need to equip gear in that slot to apply the cosmetic. If you have a full costume, then you can apply that to your character whether you have gear in all relevant slots.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Transmog was confirmed a long time ago.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • there will be transmogs buuuuuuuut it wont be like WoW if you're wondering, it'll be more limited. Atleast, steven said so previously.
  • GoatrekGoatrek Member
    edited March 2021
    We'll see about that. I have a feeling they might lean rather heavily into selling cosmetics to monetize this game which would make sense from a business perspective. They are already leaning into cosmetics heavily with these founding packs or what they are called.
    But as long as it doesnt turn into a circus like WoW, detracts from the game or overshadows actual in game loot in every way, I will personally be fine.
    I would however love an option where i can turn off cash shop skins so all I see is in game item cosmetics for me and everyone else. Not that such a feature would be implemented in a thousand years though. People would be less incentivized to buy cosmetics if they couldnt show off/ force them upon surrounding players.
  • zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im sort of against transmog, I think armor dye is better as I like the visual to accurately represent the power/armor class of the character.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think I'm okay with transmog as long as it carries a significant cost along with it.

In WoW, you can transmog at any time for a nominal fee, which makes it so that you almost never see the actual gear. The opposite of that (absolutely no cosmetic options) results in more gear pride & recognizability, but very little individuality.

I think if there's a significant cost that comes along with transmog, people will be much more hesitant to instantly cover the appearance of their gear so people aren't always covered in whatever skin they like.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Same as OP. Not a fan of transmog as it can make identification of threats more difficult to ascertain.
    But then again, if cosmetic overlays come into play, then that identification becomes pretty dead.

For PvE gear, sure. For PvP / PvX gear, prefer not.

No idea how you tell at distance if a player running at you in cosmetic gear or transmog gear is something to worry about visually. I guess only when your under fire, which invariably is too late.
  • When you see an enemy player's nameplate/healthbar, there will be an indicator of their armor type, quality, enchantment, etc. This prevents the issue you mention, and it gives people an opt-out from always being hideously mismatched.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    akabear wrote: »
    Same as OP. Not a fan of transmog as it can make identification of threats more difficult to ascertain.
    But then again, if cosmetic overlays come into play, then that identification becomes pretty dead.

No idea how you tell at distance if a player running at you in cosmetic gear or transmog gear is something to worry about visually. I guess only when your under fire, which invariably is too late.

Well fortunately there is no PVP gear. There is just gear.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    akabear wrote: »

"A character's nameplate is displayed above their head.[1]
    The character's nameplate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[3][4][5]
    An icon will identify the character's class.[6]
    Hovering over the user's nameplate will show information such as level, their class name and archetype combo.[6]
    A buff icon indicates the character's gear and grade.[6][7][8]"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nameplate

Personally, I think this is going to be a problem. Particularly in the large scale combat that is being aimed for. However, I am holding off on it until the nameplate system is incorporated into testing.

As stated above, PvE and PvP gear are the same as PvP is everywhere. The only time that a full PvE should really be justified is in the 20% of raids and dungeons that will be instanced.
  • Aerius wrote: »
    When you see an enemy player's nameplate/healthbar, there will be an indicator of their armor type, quality, enchantment, etc. This prevents the issue you mention, and it gives people an opt-out from always being hideously mismatched.

This will be impossible to see in fights with many people , or fast encounters like ganks....
    They need to put an option like albion online to hide cosmetics or will be bad.. About transmong i hope to be very very limited
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I say good it will hamper ganking. Make people think about what they are doing again instead of just running around mindlessly smashing keys.
    I hope it is very very extensive.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    edited March 2021
    @FuryBladeborne I`m with @Ramirez on this one. I would like to think that the pace of pvp is fast enough that you need to identify a foe at range, not by the time you can hone in on or read the detail of their tag.

Breaks immersion.

Whilst there was a very limited range of armor in the day when I played L2. One thing that was highly useful was being able to identify a foe at considerable range and know if it was a fight or flight scenario. Key foes were known by name which further helped by I suspect with 20x the number of players on the server than I experienced in L2, then there needs to be a series of tells in advance of being in range for conflict or separate friend from foe at closer range

• FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @akabear, I pointed out that the option to identify information such as gear exists but I also said that I think that the system will be a problem in the game. I am just not trying to really debate it until the system makes it into testing.
    Yes, will have to see and adapt to what every system prevails, I guess
  • Apologies for the bump, but this something I also really don't like about AoC.

I feel like the Dev's have buttered the cash shop up, saying that things are limited and so on, but at the moment there seems to already be an abundance in variety of cosmetic gear. It's quite literally the only thing that brings me to be concerned about the game and it's future, as so many MMO's have become heavily reliant on it and AoC already seems to be toeing that line.

I'd be totally fine if the cash shop stopped at mount skins, house skins and so on. But armor appearance slots is crossing a line I'm not happy crossing, and quite frankly I'd be totally fine in paying for a base game package to avoid this being in the game at all. Name plate indicators or no, it's quite frankly a very sly method of circumventing a clear and present problem in the current monetization model.
  • TurbitoTurbito Member
    edited April 2021
    I remember reading somewhere player-models may be standardized in large-scale pvp, to This will have a similar effect as cosmetic skins in practice
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Apologies for the bump, but this something I also really don't like about AoC.

I feel like the Dev's have buttered the cash shop up, saying that things are limited and so on, but at the moment there seems to already be an abundance in variety of cosmetic gear. It's quite literally the only thing that brings me to be concerned about the game and it's future, as so many MMO's have become heavily reliant on it and AoC already seems to be toeing that line.

I'd be totally fine if the cash shop stopped at mount skins, house skins and so on. But armor appearance slots is crossing a line I'm not happy crossing, and quite frankly I'd be totally fine in paying for a base game package to avoid this being in the game at all. Name plate indicators or no, it's quite frankly a very sly method of circumventing a clear and present problem in the current monetization model.

I don't share this concern.
    Appearances are surface level. As long as cosmetics don't get stats I'm fine.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • DreohDreoh Member
    maouw wrote: »

People who care about immersion and aesthetics will disagree with you.

Your line of thought leads to things like how GW2 is now full of sparkly women with angel wings and rainbow auras.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dreoh wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »

People who care about immersion and aesthetics will disagree with you.

Your line of thought leads to things like how GW2 is now full of sparkly women with angel wings and rainbow auras.

Yeah I get that.

The point is: we have different "crossing a line I'm not happy crossing" when it comes to cosmetics.

Personally, I prefer the 2 extremes of: cosmetics all the way, or no cosmetics at all. To me, when cosmetics are made to match the theme of the world - base equipment loses its charm (I feel this especially in PoE, where there are cosmetics that look like they could be legitimate items in the game), whereas when they are obviously otherworldly it preserves the base equipment ecosystem.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Right so on cosmetics.. They look great but they give me a bad feeling. Character skins in online games is very much expected and cool, I just don't really like the concept in the MMO space. It definitely takes away from the transmog potentials. It also takes away the feeling that players are creating the world I'm seeing.

On transmogs.. I don't mind transmogs at all and I love the ability to be able to change what your gear looks like. My sole concern with it in AoC is from what I understand they are leaning towards just paying an NPC gold to change the look of your gear but I could be wrong. What I WANT to see is crafted transmogs. I know it adds a lot power to the crafters again but I would prefer items to have appearance slots you could add a (0 stat) cosmetic item to. This game is meant to be all about the players, after all.

How do these crafters learn cosmetic recipes? Easy! Dismantling the item and "research" it's appearance instead of dismantling for materials. A choice.