[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Resource Gathering and Trade and it's Relevance to the Node System

Intrepid has not discussed how trading and economy are going to work specifically, so I had some fun thinking of an idea.

This system only works if certain resources are only available in certain environments. Like certain types of trees that are not found in a desert are only found in the thickest of forests, or jewels only found in mountainous areas. If any resource can be obtained in any zone, there is no reason to trade resources. To make it balanced for early levels of crafting tho, you will need some fundamental resources spawned in all nodes, like iron for swords and armor, leather and cloth for other armor, trees for siege equipment and node/freehold buildings, etc.

Throughout a node, there are small questing hubs, in which there are characters that you can hand in resources that you have gathered in the area for a price relative to the selling price of the item set by the mayor, as well as some reputation or xp earned for the node. These resources are gatherables (wood, fur, meat, plants, ore) and trade tokens you get from mobs. You could make more money if you do not give your resources to the npc, but it is fast money and also gain rep and/or xp with the node.

These resources gathered by the node can then be sold back to players in the node's town/city (if a player wants to use the resources to craft or to trade it to another node), or can be sent by the mayor to another node in a node caravan. Think of the prices on resources gathered in the node or resources received from another node that are set by the node's mayor as the standard, or minimum, price. If the standard price is too high, the citizens can undercut and the node doesn't make as much money. If the standard price is too low, then a citizen should not sell they're goods there because it is not worth it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Concerns? Let me know.

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In one of the streams Jeff mentioned that some gathering items will only spawn in certain environments. Places that will make "sense". I don't remember which stream and it is not marked in the wiki.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • In one of the streams Jeff mentioned that some gathering items will only spawn in certain environments. Places that will make "sense".

I'm really banking a lot of my economic/ trading hopes on this. If the only things worth trading are monster tokens, then there really is no reason for caravans.

Gatherables need to be limited in some areas so that there is a sense of demand for it. If supply of everything is the same everywhere, then the demand is gonna be the same everywhere and that is just as boring as any other MMO.