Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Login Screen

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
After obtaining a beta key to Mortal Online and only gaining access in 2 days of about 20 attempts for less than 2min got me thinking about what improvements they could make to their log in screen and perhaps open discussion for AoC.

For the Log-in screen, if there is likely to be wait times, then perhaps
a) Server status
- online or offline
- current population status
- estimated time until server in next online (not US time)
b) Login
- is queue how long likely wait with countdown and/or number in queue
c) Some capacity to do something while waiting
- review character stats/inv
- review inventory

Comments

• Options
    I am sort of curious just how many of us are going to be able to log in at all in the first few months.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I had no problem logging into MO2 before Asmongold started talking about it a few days ago.

Maybe they can add a little icon next to the server "ya boi" plays on so I know what server not to pick.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I got in two times total... once first night for about 10min very late but too tired to play and thought I would properly try the next day. That was a mistake. Next day tried about 20x while doing other things then it appears that got in while not paying attention and was logged out just as about to try and that was the last time I got to see inside the game.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I had no problem logging into MO2 before Asmongold started talking about it a few days ago.

Maybe they can add a little icon next to the server "ya boi" plays on so I know what server not to pick.

Hahaha i was watching him live during that time because i was curious what the game looked like.
    The icon thing actually made me laugh irl, thanks.
  • Options
    All I want with the log in is that if it fails to log in to tell me why. Otherwise I won't really be seeing it long enough to care what it is.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    All I want with the log in is that if it fails to log in to tell me why. Otherwise I won't really be seeing it long enough to care what it is.

This is the same for me. Server status and other issues with login are the only thing relevant to me at any point. Many MMOs like to put news and special offers on the patcher and frankly I ignore them. When I have that up, all I care about is logging in. If I want patch info or want to see what the next event will be I will be looking elsewhere for that.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Hiya frands! Thank you for sharing your notes here on what you'd like to see on a login screen - providing you that kind of information can definitely be helpful in making sure you have a smoother gameplay experience overall!

Would love for more folks to elaborate on what interesting/off-the-wall ideas you had for OP's suggestion of "something to do while waiting" 🤔 (though I'd say the hope is that you won't have to spend too much time doing that 🤣)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would love for more folks to elaborate on what interesting/off-the-wall ideas you had for OP's suggestion of "something to do while waiting" 🤔 (though I'd say the hope is that you won't have to spend too much time doing that 🤣)

A game of Verran Gwent! Match with random other player in queue while waiting. Or ingame player in a tavern doing parlor games.
  • Options
    I think I would like to see a clean interface, I don't really care about mini-games(I have other games to play.) Though it would be really nice to see game info such as inventory, guild member status, and the progress of any long-term crafting/processing.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Maybe a little chatroom with everybody waiting? Y'all could even include things like game related trivia and polls for everybody in the chatroom to take at once. @polarbear is right that if people want to play a game while you wait, there's plenty of other options. Something that lets you connect with all the other waiters out there would be a lot more unique.

The other thing that I think of is what Hearthstone does with its playing boards, and all the hidden toys on screen you can click on and play with. Nothing super in depth, but having something to occupy your cursor is always nice :)
  • Options
    New World had (not sure if still has) a server status that, rather than showing a bar or term of capacity, showed the actual number of current players logged in and the maximum capacity.

Liked it and was saddened by it at the same time. Near end of one of the early beta`s I was one of 32 players of a possible 2000.

Similarly in my L2 days, knowing there was a max of about 2,500 player and only a player pool of about 180 online with 1/4 of that being own clan was a little disappointing.

Very glad to see that the target maximum capacity on the server will be 20x what I have experienced and playing at off peak times gives me hope there will still be a healthy active base around
  • Options
    Perhaps with login the option to have authentication via phone or equivalent for those that want added account security.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited March 2021
    Was just thinking of those buzzers you get when you order food.

If the sky's the limit, it'd be handy if the login screen was able to notify your phone via an sms or notification on an AoC app when you're queue number is close to x (where the player sets the value of x).

Edit: maybe more for large queues that jump and decrease erratically and unpredictably; if queues decrease steadily, then the standard estimated queue wait times would be good enough.
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    Hiya frands! Thank you for sharing your notes here on what you'd like to see on a login screen - providing you that kind of information can definitely be helpful in making sure you have a smoother gameplay experience overall!

- If at all possible, allow us to see if any friends are online etc.

- Some cool information like ''You spent 567 hours in the world of Verra, in this time you could've read X amount of books''

- Being able to explore the map would be cool

- being able to view your last active in-game character would be cool and fidgetty as i'd probably end up spinning it extremely fast.

- Some statuses like long crafting and upgrade timers.

That's all i can come up with x) with these suggestions i don't mean that you should add all of them, that'd be too much but they can lead to other cool ideas perhaps.

EDIT: Could also make it customizable ;)

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’ll be honest, I’m not worried about a login screen for things to do “while we wait”. No MMORPG has long wait times, those just aren’t a thing except for occasions so rare that it’s not worth putting in the time and effort to make something to do. Queues just aren’t a thing.

If Ashes ends up being the one game post-release with a significant queue the game will flop. Nobody is going to put up with that if no other game makes you wait. But I wouldn’t worry; there is no reason to expect it will. People here are concerned about something that won’t happen.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    You know that thing Reddit did, where all of it's users could draw on the same canvas, but each person could only change one pixel per minute? Something like that would be cool. Along with a chatroom of course.

I've also been surprised recently at how widespread and easy it is to entertain people with gambling. (e.g. viewer predictions on Twitch.tv.) So uh, maybe let people in queue bet on something like a simple NPC vs. NPC game. And if you win a ridiculous amount of points you can spend them to move up the queue?
  • Options

This might be too convoluted for production, though given that the player has unlocked a certain crafting station and their character is within a certain distance from it, it seems reasonable that you could let them interact with the Artisan/Crafting API in addition to the features @Jxshuwu mentioned.
  • Options

The ability to go through our known recipe books to know what the next gatherable we want to look for might be.
  • Options
    RhuellRhuell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I could see being given access to the entire player menu. Every screen we have access to, and can interact with, in game. This includes the equipment/ character screen, crafting recipes, achievements, pets/mounts, skills and skill bar, everything.

I also would like to actually interact with these screens. That way, when we get into the game, we can get moving and spend less time in the menus.

In order to prevent our changes from being lost when our turn comes, there should be an indicator that we have logged in. Or, maybe, a non intrusive, but obvious pop up tells us to save what we've done and hit "ok" to enter the world.

This is all dependent on consistently long wait times, though. Otherwise, there's no need to have something like this on release (even though that will clearly be the time with the longest wait times).

That being said, if I had access to all of my menus outside of actually taking up a spot on the server, I would absolutely do that with regular frequency depending on how much I can accomplishment via my own personal menus.