Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Appearance of Damage/Healing Numbers (building off past forum discussions)

I know AoC will most likely allow the toggling on and off of UI damage/healing text but I'm more interested in the appearance and visual display of the information.

I'm a fan of large, eye-catching damage/healing numbers when fighting in MMORPGs. I love seeing the numbers get even more gaudy when you land a critical strike. Personally I think WoW does a great job in this particular area and I'm hoping AoC implements a system that is at least comparable.

What do you all think? Are you fans of bold, eye-catching numbers while in battle or not so much? :smile:
sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• I'm a fan, additional information is useful and IMO and bare minimum to know how much damage are your abilities doing so you can learn combat more efficiently. Seeing big numbers is satisfying also. I just hope they fix color saturation and font on the numbers they currently use like there were shown on stream.
  • I think you are right, a big critical hit should be a thick number that is more visible! i love that because you feel the impact of the crit better.
    uwu
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, I don't want to see them.

I need to see them.

Not having good damage numbers makes the game unplayable.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited March 2021
    I want my damage numbers to feel like I'm ripping pieces off the target with each blow, while crits crash down over the target like a pile of bricks. That's the sort of feeling I would like to get when I see the damage or healing numbers.

A few things I can describe in technical terms. Dot numbers should *sweat* off the target while inversely Hot numbers should sprinkle in like rain, looking like they are being absorbed by the character being healed.

For direct damage have it flash on the target and fly off to the side fading away as if hitting the text off to the side. Direct healing should flash in larger text from below the target and fly up into the body as its "absorbed".

Direct damage crits will abruptly burst from the center of the target shaking back and forth slightly as if rumbling. Cracks on the text could add some more flair. Direct healing crits should appear in half resembling a "wave" coming in diagonally from both bottom sides meeting in the center to flash as the complete number before fading away.

Coloring is up to whoever could actually program something like this. Anyway I think this would be a good way to revise it, what do you guys think?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that having things like crits/blocks stand out in the text is a good thing and adds a bit of excitement :)
  • The damage numbers as they are now, seem to be a little to oversaturated in color and small in size, which makes them hard to read.

3 examples of good damage number visuals:
    - FFXIV
    - WOW
    - GW2
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    like Asgerr just said, WOW had some pretty good number visuals, more so in classic. I absolutely love that moment when you're leveling up a character and you get your first 100 damage crit. sooooooooooo satisfying.

i think more than just fixing the saturation on the numbers, they need to make the numbers recognizable by silhouette with varying boldness and size.
  • The font on the damage numbers are wacky. Not sure what would be better than what they have now exactly but it feels very out of place.
  • I don't need them. It can go one of two ways. Either you do it the right way and have it look nice and stylized for the game or you don't show me them at all. Will probably be the most customizable part of the game. Not worried about that at all considering how WoW has so many mods just for this.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • @Yuyukoyay Intrepid wont allow add-ons (mods). Although you should still not be worried as it will probably be a toggleable option.
  • Jxshuwu wrote: »
    @Yuyukoyay Intrepid wont allow add-ons (mods). Although you should still not be worried as it will probably be a toggleable option.

Meant more that the mods being made for it are indication that it's a serious thing that companies should be looking into for current games. Not that mods are going to be allowed.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East