[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafting Expansions

I'm one of those players that really likes to tinker with systems and make them work in interesting ways. I'm also a lover of crafting. So my question is, are they planning to have Crafting expansions that implement new ways of crafting such as systems that interconnect to give the player a fully customized feel?

Comments

• LeonerdoLeonerdo Member
    edited March 2021
    Not sure what you're asking. Can you be more specific?

There is supposed to be some amount of skill involved in the crafting. And as you level your crafting profession, you have to specialize into more specific stuff. So you can sorta "customize" what kind of crafter you want to be.

But I don't think you can customize the way you craft. Like you're not going to be inventing recipes/processes from scratch. And I don't imagine there will be much UI customization.

But you can at least alter recipes slightly to change the stats on what you make.

That's what I've heard at least. I'm not super involved in the crafting scene, so I could be mistaken.
  • crafting is still bare bones, if you have a cool idea on how to make an engaging and deep crafting system fire it up.
  • AyresAyres Member
    Probably just a dream of mine, but I love crafting in games and would love to detail or make the appearances of crafted items change or add effects and such to items.
    Suppose all crafters can make a wooden sword with 10dmg but Bob can add a skull handle to his swords. Should take longer to craft than the normal wood sword.
  • Ayres wrote: »
    Probably just a dream of mine, but I love crafting in games and would love to detail or make the appearances of crafted items change or add effects and such to items.
    Suppose all crafters can make a wooden sword with 10dmg but Bob can add a skull handle to his swords. Should take longer to craft than the normal wood sword.

That would get me into crafting too if i could add a little personality as a trademark. Guy has a red gem on his sword: Hey, is that weapon crafted by XXXXXXXX who always puts a red gem on the weapons he crafts?

That'd be so cool to me! MMO Crafting is very boring atm.
  • My standards for it are extremely low at the moment. Considering most games aren't capable of keeping the crafting relevant past it's initial release. I'm for any idea that will make the game more interesting regarding it. As long as it's not time gated all of the time.

Like in WoW Vanilla. There are a lot of engineering gadgets that do cool stuff, but they are level limited. So they aren't relevant in every expansion past the initial release and it makes no sense why.

Reminds me of another thing. I'm against level limiting unique abilities just to make higher level versions of it later. It's lazy and annoying compared to just making more unique effects. I'd much prefer to tier into better abilities by training your skill in the crafting system. So the abilities just get better the higher into it you go.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • I would really like to see crafting that lets the crafter add to the item in ways other than just stats. I don't know how to balance this though it would be really cool to have some level of control over passive buffs, magic like fire damage, or some protection against debuffs.
  • Jxshuwu wrote: »
    Ayres wrote: »

That would get me into crafting too if i could add a little personality as a trademark. Guy has a red gem on his sword: Hey, is that weapon crafted by XXXXXXXX who always puts a red gem on the weapons he crafts?

That'd be so cool to me! MMO Crafting is very boring atm.

That would be a nice feature :) so People can Recognize it :D
    Feel Free to Follow my Twitch Channel :)
    www.Twitch.tv/ShreddedFPS
    www.Twitch.tv/ShreddedFPS
  • KJDemon wrote: »
    I'm one of those players that really likes to tinker with systems and make them work in interesting ways. I'm also a lover of crafting. So my question is, are they planning to have Crafting expansions that implement new ways of crafting such as systems that interconnect to give the player a fully customized feel?

I don't suppose they're planning much about their expansions, yet. But, if they have a funky new idea for it, I'm sure they'd be happy to incorporate it in whatever way suits best.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Things like enchanting weapons from World of Warcraft and systems like the Runewords in Diablo 2 are just two examples.
  • RedgieRedgie Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    always loved idea of runecrafting, not like ESO where you collect runes from the floor. More like the idea of collecting information from ancient tomes in a dungeon and then having a future feature where we use rune carving and have a recipe to mix to then carve the runes. Basic content adding in elementals but then later adding in different rune combinations makes new content