[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Caravan Looting Mechanic Question

From what the wiki stats it seems when a caravan is destroyed, the wreckage is lootable. I assume that the portion of loot dropped for the attacking party would be less than one inventory and thus that would just carry it away. Though for the party that started the caravan, they will have a majority of those items to transport back to their warehouse. So my question is, how are caravan owners supposed to transport their items back home after their caravan is looted?

Comments

• ""Caravan destruction
    If a caravan is destroyed (becomes a wreckage) it will drop a portion of the goods it was transporting.[7][18][19]

Caravan components may also drop when a caravan is destroyed. These components may be salvageable by the caravan owner or by other players, in the case of high grade components.[20]

Caravans drop certificates for heavy goods that are redeemable at the origin node for a portion of the goods.[21][19]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravan_PvP
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The owners/defenders of the caravan will not have anything that’s saved for them to transport back. A portion of the contents/items are looted by the attackers and another portion is destroyed.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    One of the early footage of a caravan highlighted a few unintended actions. Rather than correct, I would like to see them become part of the caravan passage.

If a driver fails to drive well, the caravan can fall over and must be righted by those providing safe passage.
    Driving recklessly could damage the caravan

Other things I would love to see is capacity to travel off-road but whilst perhaps shorter, more chance of falling over.
  • The caravan mechanic looks very promising to me. Though I am concerned that guilds/players will just station low-level alt accounts on the highway and then use the family summon ability to zerg the caravan; and by using low-level alts they can't be killed without the attacker gaining tons of corruption.

This could be the way the mechanic was intended to play, though it seems kind of boring knowing that every caravan encounter follows the exact same pattern of "drive for a bit, have 8/16 players teleport on top of you, then you die."

like @akabear I think the only way the mechanic would work is if there are tons of small forested/out-of-sight roads and it felt like you were seeking past the attacker.
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited March 2021
    polarbear wrote: »
    The caravan mechanic looks very promising to me. Though I am concerned that guilds/players will just station low-level alt accounts on the highway and then use the family summon ability to zerg the caravan; and by using low-level alts they can't be killed without the attacker gaining tons of corruption.

This could be the way the mechanic was intended to play, though it seems kind of boring knowing that every caravan encounter follows the exact same pattern of "drive for a bit, have 8/16 players teleport on top of you, then you die."

like @akabear I think the only way the mechanic would work is if there are tons of small forested/out-of-sight roads and it felt like you were seeking past the attacker.

There should be multiple routes for a caravan to take to a destination, so players could try and take less traveled paths for a dangerous run. I could see family summons and ambushes being a thing but family summons should take time and ambushes could be noticed while they are setting up. If someone finds themself getting ganked by 8/16 man groups they should call their guildies to do caravan runs with them or hire out one of these mercenary guilds I keep hearing about and get their own 16 person crew. There will most certainly be scouts and areas being watched that's a good thing that adds depth to the game IMO.

I'm betting it'll play out similarly to Archeage where many guilds chose to save up all their "trade packs" for stretches of time and then get as many people online as their guild/alliance can muster at a time and place to do massive runs all in 1 shot. Most likely with more frequency in Ashes due to the higher need for caravans to be moved through the world.
  • @polarbear Family summons won't be that powerful. Like I think everyone agrees that's pretty bullshit if you can just summon 16 people nearly instantly for open-world PvP. Intrepid won't allow that. That means a long cast time, and restrictions on how much you can chain summon other people.

"I will not allow a system in place that circumvents the resource or region mechanics. Nor will an implementation be allowed that could abuse my “anti-Zerg” desires. The testing for this feature will be present in A2 and I will always err on the side of caution when examining the data we collect around this mechanic." – Steven Sharif
  • I hope caravan gameplay doesn't require a guild/discord to do every time. Sometimes i would just wanna log in solo, find someone who needs help defending or a group of gankers looking to attack one.
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • The game probably won't have many problems regarding zerging when it comes to caravan play. There will most likely just be too many caravans to pay that much attention to every single one of them. Not to mention the travel time. The way they made it sound is this is going to be one of the biggest MMO maps in the industry.

My only worry is about coordinated zerging using the teleporting system in the game. Also Zerging in more important parts of the map. Cuz people will family their entire guild if it means gaining a free teleport to anywhere on the world map. I think there needs to be a range limitation added to it to prevent this.

I don't have too many problems with how they are doing the systems, but Zerging is an issue that only Warhammer Online fixed by making it mostly an instanced pvp game. There is the possibility that they could make it so the more people in Caravan battles the less rewards each people get. Since there are limited resources and you won't get all of them in a Caravan Battle.

The problem I see is actually because of PvP servers on WoW. Where level 60 players would gank lvl 20 players even though they gained nothing from doing it. Just to grief them. If people are willing to waste days of their time on stuff like that then it might get annoying in certain situations in Ashes that they might not have intended.

That said the WoW community is pretty garbage overall. I think this game will probably have a better community and won't want to gank people all of the time. It's one of those systems that it will work well if people don't do it all of the time. If people do nothing but raid caravans all day everyday then it could actually become a problem. There is a chance that if they do that though they will fall behind and get crushed by higher leveled players.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East