[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Levels of corruption / Consequences (questions)

GoratrixGoratrix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Hello,

I have questions in regards to the consequences of corruption on characters.

From what I have gathered so far, having high corruption will make you have a chance to drop "completed" items, as well giving you higher xp penalty on death and making your character not be as efficient as he would normally be in combat.

Sounds about right? Do we have more details on this? As in:

- What is the drop rate on completed items at high corruption?
- Is XP penalty referring to leveling experience? In that case that would have no effect at max level? Or are there other levels of character progression that may be affected by this?
- What kind combat "power nerf" a character would have with high corruption?
- Besides dropping items are there other consequences when dying with high corruption?

Also, are corrupted players going to depend on ALT characters in order to utilize day-to-day activities usually done in a town/node? In example, if you look at Ultima Online, "RED" players would get "guard whacked" (insta-killed) when entering a town. But there was one town in the world that was kind of the "murderer's capital" and they could go there to buy supplies and interact with NPCs that they did not have access to in normal towns.

How will housing work for a corrupted character?
Can one have a house just "out in the wild" that is not part of a node?

Comments

• Don't have the answer to everything but one thing i do know which you might like to know.

Corrupted players can have bounties on them depending on how badly they are corrupted (idk if a player needs to put it on them, im not sure) which creates the profession of 'Bounty Hunter'.
    You could literally hunt corrupted players for a living, hope to see a tracker class to match this.

Isn't that cool? i think its awesome.
  • The devs have been intentionally vague on the specifics. Most of the details still have to be balanced during the alpha and beta periods.
  • polarbear wrote: »
    The devs have been intentionally vague on the specifics. Most of the details still have to be balanced during the alpha and beta periods.

^This.^

The game's still in Alpha ... we only know the details at a high level (provided from the devs and in the wiki).
  • zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not to sure on most your questions, but I am hoping that the system is both punishing enough to deter people from being complete dirtbags but still allows for a viable criminal play style.
  • It's also to punish people for killing lowbies at a high level. Which is a really bad thing in virtually every MMO with any amount of PvP in it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited March 2021
    As most have pointed out there is no specifics yet.

Things that have been thrown out as possibilities:
    - XP penalties being able to regress your level
    - Bounty Hunters being able to loot your dropped items (potentially all of the equipped gear, depending on the level of corruption)
    - Level of corruption gained increases proportionally with the difference between the player PKing and the victim.
    - You can do certain quests, or tasks or grinding to work off your penalties
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • I can understand if devs are trying to avoid what I experienced in the beginning days of EverQuest, where people would get to level 6 and do nothing but run around killing level ones all day and I was imagining some 8 year old giggling behind their keyboard who would find that amusing. But for us adults, I was wondering if there would be any benefit to being corrupted, which would inspire people to take that risk. The bounty system sounds great but we would never get to use it if nobody had a reason to take the risk of going the corrupted route.
  • RhuellRhuell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bum4evr wrote: »
    The bounty system sounds great but we would never get to use it if nobody had a reason to take the risk of going the corrupted route.

I have a feeling there are going to be many people accepting the first few levels of corruption in order to get obtain their gank high.

To add, I doubt the first few levels of corruption will mean much. Probably just negligible xp loss and slightly weakened stats. Heck i'd probably be willing to participate in the corruption system a bit up to and not including the item drop phase, and i'm no pker.

I like the idea of getting hunted by bounty hunters and running for my life. Imagine the high of killing a bounty hunter whose sole purpose for the last hour or so has been hunting and killing you.

Imagine how righteously vindicated bounty hunters will feel after hunting down and murdering their villainous prey.

• zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rhuell wrote: »
    Bum4evr wrote: »
    The bounty system sounds great but we would never get to use it if nobody had a reason to take the risk of going the corrupted route.

I have a feeling there are going to be many people accepting the first few levels of corruption in order to get obtain their gank high.

To add, I doubt the first few levels of corruption will mean much. Probably just negligible xp loss and slightly weakened stats. Heck i'd probably be willing to participate in the corruption system a bit up to and not including the item drop phase, and i'm no pker.

I like the idea of getting hunted by bounty hunters and running for my life. Imagine the high of killing a bounty hunter whose sole purpose for the last hour or so has been hunting and killing you.

Imagine how righteously vindicated bounty hunters will feel after hunting down and murdering their villainous prey.

This sorta sums up how I feel, I dont wanna be that jerk that spawn camps a starter area, but every once in awhile deciding to make a play on a caravan or something and have a bounty come looking for me sounds kinda fun lol
  • zammwich wrote: »
    This sorta sums up how I feel, I dont wanna be that jerk that spawn camps a starter area, but every once in awhile deciding to make a play on a caravan or something and have a bounty come looking for me sounds kinda fun lol

Caravan PvP won’t flag you with corruption though.
    To get corruption you have to kill players who haven’t fought back, which doesn’t sound like a lot of fun to me, personally.
  • Ill totally kill someone whos interfering with my gathering, if there are prime spots. If they fight back that would be preferred so i don't get corruption, but ima kill them regardless. THATS MY ORE!
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Goratrix wrote: »
    - Is XP penalty referring to leveling experience? In that case that would have no effect at max level? Or are there other levels of character progression that may be affected by this?
    This is an aspect of penalties in Ashes that people seem to have all kinds of confusion with.

If you have an experience debt, the experience aspect of it is not the penalty. The experience aspect is simply how you remove the penalty - by gaining experience - and also means that you are slower leveling while working this debt off (if you are leveling at all).

However, the actual penalty with experience debt is the debuff associated with it. That debuff includes components that lower your skills, lower your HP and mana pools, lower your proficiencies with gear, and also lower the drop rate on mobs you kill.

These aspects of experience debt are the penalties, the experience part is simply how you work at getting rid of these penalties.

These penalties are likely to stack with stat dampening penalties in PvP associated with having corruption, so if you have enough corruption that one kill doesn't remove it all, after being killed you will find yourself with two sets of penalties being applied to you in PvP, each reducing your effectiveness.
  • SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    This is an aspect of penalties in Ashes that people seem to have all kinds of confusion with.

If you have an experience debt, the experience aspect of it is not the penalty. The experience aspect is simply how you remove the penalty - by gaining experience - and also means that you are slower leveling while working this debt off (if you are leveling at all).

However, the actual penalty with experience debt is the debuff associated with it. That debuff includes components that lower your skills, lower your HP and mana pools, lower your proficiencies with gear, and also lower the drop rate on mobs you kill.

These aspects of experience debt are the penalties, the experience part is simply how you work at getting rid of these penalties.

These penalties are likely to stack with stat dampening penalties in PvP associated with having corruption, so if you have enough corruption that one kill doesn't remove it all, after being killed you will find yourself with two sets of penalties being applied to you in PvP, each reducing your effectiveness.

Doesn't sound like a good system to promote pvp, or really going out into the world at all without a group.
  • I mean it's also ignoring the fact that people aren't going to be starting in the same areas. After the tutorial which is one of the few safe zones in the game. You are going to be able to teleport to any rift in the world to start. Which means people are only going to be together for short periods in the beginning until they settle down where they want to go.

I don't think level 1 ganking is going to be a problem because other games have starting zones you are forced into. This game won't really have starting zones in the same way those games do.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
    Saedu wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Doesn't sound like a good system to promote pvp, or really going out into the world at all without a group.

It is if you take the position that being corrupt isn't a state you are supposed to remain in.

The idea is that if you gain corruption, you want to clear it off as soon as the situation allows for it. With that in mind, the system is just fine.
  • @Saedu I would say it is conducive to healthy PvP. Meaning, attacking lower level players who don't fight back isn't really fun for anyone.

If they fight back, then it's fair game and no corruption is gained or accrued.

PvP is not Ganking.
    Sig-ult-2.png
    Ahh so it's only if one player attacks and kills the other player and they did not attack back? That makes a lot more sense.

Could it be abused by trying to get hit first by another players AoE/AC ability?

Sounds like the aggressor could take the risk by initiating and see if the defender fights back and if he/she doesn't the aggressor could stop attacking to avoid getting corruption from a defenseless kill?
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    Ahh so it's only if one player attacks and kills the other player and they did not attack back? That makes a lot more sense.

Could it be abused by trying to get hit first by another players AoE/AC ability?

Sounds like the aggressor could take the risk by initiating and see if the defender fights back and if he/she doesn't the aggressor could stop attacking to avoid getting corruption from a defenseless kill?

You have to force attack someone to hit them. Jumping into someone's aoe doesn't mean they hit you.

yes, you can choose to stop attacking if it looks like they aren't going to fight back. You only get corruption if you score a killing blow on a green player.
    What if player A starts attacking player B and player C then starts attacking player A? Is player C defending or attacking? Would it matter if player B and C are in a group or not?
    What if player A starts attacking player B and player C then starts attacking player A? Is player C defending or attacking? Would it matter if player B and C are in a group or not?

Player A is a combatant for attacking player B, player C is a combatant for attacking player A, unless player A kills player B and player B didnt fight back, in which case player A is corrupt, and player C can attack player A without needing to flag as a combatant.