Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Randomly generated quests & events

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
Having a large world is great. Having an unpopulated large world is not so great. I notice some MMO struggle to keep all zones relevant, which is a pity since it's not really that hard to make the whole world useful. I know AoC already will have some of these types of events. But I wanted to type down some content I think would keep the world and roleplayers alike very happy.

Supply runs
Cities camps and towns obviously need supplies to stay alive. Why not make randomly/weekly/daily events where a certain amount of supplies need to be delivered around the world. Could be supplies you get from the quest or supplies you farm yourself with the profession you have. For example a smelter would be tasked to bring 10 bars to a camp in the icy north.

If everyone got different tasks with different destinations, you would create a good foundation for a world where there are travelers going anywhere at any time. These quests would incentivise group travel on caravans etc to make it more fun. Imagine the fun people you would meet at 2 A:M while on a caravan (skyrim intro style) traveling the world.

This would also be very healthy for burglars, bandits and thieves. They would try to intercept travelers and steal their items. Lying in ambush at crossroads and forest paths. This simple form of supply runs would be big for PvP content.

In conclusion, I think supply runs that take you from every town in the world to any other town in the world would be great for social players, PvP players, roleplayers and adventurers. It would also make the world feel alive.

A way to incentivise these runs could be a fairly good money reward or a good reputation reward.

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The zones we play in will determine their relevance to the world. I would imagine, underpopulated zones will indeed be underpopulated by npc's and feel barren. I'm ok with this as it will directly reflect the current community activities going on in that area. It also opens up the possibility for guilds/groups to move into that area and start building it up to see what raids or perks may open up from it.

There will be different supply runs going to different places all the time. Caravans will need to be ambushed or will need to be defended constantly.

I like the idea of a supply run going from one place to another (not associated with a guild) but this will end up being bad content IMO. How long do I want to spend sitting in a caravan traveling a LONG distance? Not long at all. Hoping/waiting for pvp is boring. Supply runs traveling from a bandit camp to a raid boss lair.....there might be something there.

I am 100% ok with dailies and weekly quests in a game like this. We are BUILDING cities with our efforts. We should have the opportunity to contribute to the builders and be rewarded for it. Maybe not even a daily like most will think. Maybe put a cap on what materials are needed for city expansion. It will give it a better feel to the activity and put an emphasis on players to get a move on farming before someone else does (thus creating more pvp)
  • Options
    Not all zones will be as relevant as the next, even with alot of players, it'll be extremely difficult to spread out all players evenly. Your solution, doesn't make the zone any more 'relevant' since the zone is still not inhabited by other players. People will simply camp it for a while, to get said supplies and then dip.

Regardless, i still like your idea but i dont think it should be a task you NEED to do. its a very annoying feeling when you're forced to do a task and when you don't complete it, you get hit with consequences. This just brings in the Daily and weekly task system that in the beginning may be cool, but overtime will feel like a chore.

What i think is a better idea, is that within your node you can just get quests from NPCs to deliver some supplies to other nodes (i think they might've already confirmed this part?) and get paid depending on the distance you traveled and make it decent pay. Since it'll be a decent source of income, a handful of people will keep doing it even if it is boring and you can share the quest with your party.

A good example is Albion online, in Albion there WAS 5 main factions [Martlock, Thetford, Fort sterling, Lymhurst and Bridgewatch] and you could do supply runs from one city to another and come back with some good money. It was a reliable source of income, yet at the same time risky if you did get caught since you needed a pretty good and expensive mount if you did the highest level supply runs. This shit was SOOOO boring, but people did it regardless since it was a steady and reliable flow of income compared to pvp. If AOC can make this system more exciting and cozy, i believe it could be a pretty popular thing.