[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A Poll in support of the Tab Targeting and Action Combat discussion

To support the Dev Discussion I've generated a Poll to summarize opinions on Tab Targeting and Action Combat.

https://strawpoll.com/qwwzczehf

Please keep your comments for the Dev discussion thread. Thanks, Mack.
Forum_Signature.png

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    8 options? That is a bit much.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Just trying to give the devs a summary to go with the detail that sits in several pages of the main discussion thread.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Needs more options :facepalm:
    Izil.png
  • Anyone else here think "hybrid" combat is a joke. They have the different "modes", but if you're not playing action combat you're wrong. The action combat "mode" does both action and tab target spells, why would you not go that all the time?
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2021
    McShave wrote: »
    Anyone else here think "hybrid" combat is a joke. They have the different "modes", but if you're not playing action combat you're wrong. The action combat "mode" does both action and tab target spells, why would you not go that all the time?

For one, we don't actually know how hybrid the abilities themselves are going to be.
    We have "hybrid combat" (the way Wildstar did, with both tab-target and action abilities) but not "hybrid abilities" (the way GW2 and ESO do), based on current information.
    So far all evidence shows that abilities are either tab-focused or action focused, not both at the same time. This is further shown in the 25/75% rule.

As for why would you not go action camera all the time?
    Multiple reasons. Here's a few.
    1. You can only see where you're facing in action camera.
    2. You can't cast on people behind your character or off camera, only at people you're looking at.
    3. You can't see the bigger battle around you.
    4. Some people prefer not having to manually aim all of their abilities.
    5. Tab-target healers in particular will have a much more difficult time.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    McShave wrote: »
    Anyone else here think "hybrid" combat is a joke. They have the different "modes", but if you're not playing action combat you're wrong. The action combat "mode" does both action and tab target spells, why would you not go that all the time?

"...in which i mean tab targeted stuff and action stuff will play a little bit differently and they'll have different strengths and weaknesses right it's probably not going to be a one-to-one like the all the advantages of tab are going to be all the advantages that an action person has right they'll be a little bit different they'll be a little bit asynchronous and um the hope is that those two things together we can balance... "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/2021-03-26_Livestream
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Talk:2021-03-26_Livestream

TT and AC will have different abilities and balancing will be done by having different strengths and weaknesses.

• CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    To support the Dev Discussion I've generated a Poll to summarize opinions on Tab Targeting and Action Combat.

https://strawpoll.com/qwwzczehf

Please keep your comments for the Dev discussion thread. Thanks, Mack.

Nice. And the results really speak for themselves. Much like that other poll with a thousand or so votes.
    Cypher wrote: »
    Nice. And the results really speak for themselves. Much like that other poll with a thousand or so votes.

You got a link to that poll? I think I remember one a while back, but I don't remember 1k+ votes.
    TVMenSP.png
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

You got a link to that poll? I think I remember one a while back, but I don't remember 1k+ votes.

Yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/lz2i3z/whats_your_preferred_type_of_combat/

Thanks, no wonder I could not find it on the forums. I treat reddit like the "yahoo answers" replacement it is.

Still it is great to see that all of this anti-action combat talk is not the majority. Just a bunch of people on here that don't like it.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Oh the eternal TT vs AC conflict.... Its good to see that the majority of people are open to using both types of combat/skills even tho they might have a clear preference. I'm interested to see if devs will show player data referent to TT and AC usage percentages within the classes in the future when we have a more consolidated combat.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Thanks, no wonder I could not find it on the forums. I treat reddit like the "yahoo answers" replacement it is.

Still it is great to see that all of this anti-action combat talk is not the majority. Just a bunch of people on here that don't like it.

Totally agree on both points.
    Oh the eternal TT vs AC conflict.... Its good to see that the majority of people are open to using both types of combat/skills even tho they might have a clear preference. I'm interested to see if devs will show player data referent to TT and AC usage percentages within the classes in the future when we have a more consolidated combat.

Don’t know where you have seen a majority being open to both. This poll, and the OP poll as of early this morning both show the majority being action only, second place being open to both, tab being last.
  • edited April 2021
    Don’t know where you have seen a majority being open to both. This poll, and the OP poll as of early this morning both show the majority being action only, second place being open to both, tab being last.

I am in favor of Action Combat only 21.54% (14 votos) Total 14

I am happy to use either Tab Targeting or Action Combat 12.12% (8 votos)
    I lean towards Tab Targeting but I would happily use Action Combat as well 15.38% (11 votos)
    I lean towards Action Combat but I would happily use Tab Targeting 12.31% (8 votos)
    Total 27.

As for the Reddit poll its limited on its choices in terms only preference and not acceptance of the other type aswell.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • SeloSelo Member

I am in favor of Action Combat only 21.54% (14 votos) Total 14

I am happy to use either Tab Targeting or Action Combat 12.12% (8 votos)
    I lean towards Tab Targeting but I would happily use Action Combat as well 15.38% (11 votos)
    I lean towards Action Combat but I would happily use Tab Targeting 12.31% (8 votos)
    Total 27.

As for the Reddit poll its limited on its choices in terms only preference and not acceptance of the other type aswell.

Yea exactly, the only thing the poll shows is that AC people dont want anything else, where as TT are open to try both.
    Also, people on these forums and reddit are usually younger players, which leans towards AC but doesnt represent the majority of players.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Prefer to see how the current system actually plays out rather than debate the hypothetical a or b scenario of which either could be do well or poorly; all dependant on how they are designed and function for the needs at hand.