Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Naming and the Issue of Uniqueness

AetiusAetius Member
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
Hello, all.

I've already posed this question in Discord and perused the naming page on the Ashes wiki. What I wonder is if Ashes would consider allowing characters to show only their first name in chat and on their nameplate if this character also has an optional last name.

Issue:
Hypothetically, a player joins the game, selects a server, prepares their character, and fills in a name that they like. The name is taken. They fill in many other names they would be fine with, and all of those are taken. As is the unfortunate and imperfect case in many games, this person settles on an uncomfortably long or gibberish name that they do not connect well with. While a minor inconvenience for some, this is a widely effecting and long-lasting problem that many people would experience, and it impacts satisfaction with the character and possibly immersion.

Solution:
As it stands, in Ashes, players can choose an optional last name, and presumably it will be an inseparable and visible part of their name. This last name is essentially just a part of the one name. If a character could have only their first and preferred name visible on their nameplate and in chat, this effectively solves the issue on the surface and allows for players to have the name of their choosing, have it be seen by others, and be satisfied with it. Upon proper inspection, others could open your character screen or click something to see your full name. This prevents impersonation and confusion, however unlikely it would be.

Precedent:
Wildstar was a game that we can take as a good example of this feature working well. The game ended up merging servers at one point, and they enabled last names to prevent players being forced to change their beloved name. Two "Bob"s could now run around the server and they may both have last names, or only one of them does. Neither need forfeit their name.

Posting this for consideration (perhaps Toast or Margaret could broach the subject internally unless it's already been thorough considered) and to see player input on the matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, Guild Wars 1 did this is like 2005 if I remember correctly. I think you just had to have one space in your name to make a "Surname", but you could have more than one space. I would make names like "first_name of location_name" in GW1. Which is not the worst system, but I remember seeing a lot of "SSJ GOKU XXX" type names too... which is not something I like.

I think FFXIV allows two players to have the same first name by requiring a surname in a separate field, but it has been a long time since I made a character due the the fact that you only need one character ever. To me having a first name and a surname, is ideal. It just makes inviting more complicated. In FFXIV you just use the player search feature or invite them from chat. It is a extra step to invite people but worth it IMO.

As long as we don't have the awful player IDs like ESO and WOW. I am happy. When I make a character I like it to be 100% partitioned from the rest of my account. I don't ever want to see any numbers in a name associated with me in anything.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Well, we know we can chose to have just a first name, and we know we can chose to add a surname. We also know we can chose to have either our first name or our surname displayed in chat (and presumably on our nameplate) in game.

From that, it is safe to assume that our first name and our surname both need to be unique.

To me, the biggest issue with naming comes when the game is a few years old. A server that is home to 50k players could have 500k characters on it, each with a unique name. The developers need to purge names of unused characters on occasion, which would greatly alleviate the main issue the OP has.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think its great that there can be a first or last name and you can choose which one to display. This might get a bit confusing in pvp if you and your friends take the same first name and hide your last name.

I agree on the need to occasionally purge old names (don't delete the character of course, but if a toon has not been logged into for over 9 months - 1 year, give it a placeholder name and prompt the player to change the name when the login).

FYI, WoW doesn't have the IDs on the individual character names, but it does on your b.net account. Most the chat you do in game (everything except whispers to your friends list) show the name of the character you are on. Nameplates also show the character you are on. So I don't think the IDs done that way are much of an issue. My understanding though is that friends lists in this game will be character to character, not account to account. Which is unfortunate because its not alt-friendly. This will lead to a need to add friends in discord instead of in game (which isn't bad for us as players, but it's a missed opportunity for AoC to get players more plugged into the game's social system). I think the better way is the option to friend at the account or the character level + add the option to hide your online status if you want to get on a character and not be bothered. (Yup @Noaani, thats the WoW way :p. Don't worry though... this isn't WoW :)).

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Saedu wrote: »
    I think the better way is the option to friend at the account or the character level
    The issue with this is that it means all I need to do to prevent espionage in my guild is to friend every character at the account level. If someone joins my guild and doesn't allow me to friend their account (assuming the game gives players the option to deny this) then I can safely assume they are a spy.

And I know this isn't WoW, but that issue is the same in many, many games, not just WoW.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would be in favor of a unique family name that all of your characters share (like in that one game). And the first name can be whatever you want even if 100 other people have it. I think this is the most ideal for everyone. If the devs won’t quite go as far as a family name shared by your characters, the next best thing would at least be unique last names but still free-for-all on the first name.
  • Options
    ArchmonkArchmonk Member
    edited April 2021
    Allowing copy names can ruin name fame. I don't want to meet Zezima that's some jerk pretending to be the most famous player for giggles. I want to know the name and be like 'Woah that is Zezima'. This could still happen with the last name system so I am not entirely opposed, but it would require looking up his arbitrary last name that no one really cares about.

I personally prefer unique names. If someone came up with it already too bad, fantasy names are super easy to create, and if you don't think so, use a name generator till you find something you identify with! Just my opinion.

I am very lucky to have a childhood name that is very untaken in pretty much any game I've ever played, and I won't reveal that here haha.
  • Options
    Archmonk wrote: »
    Allowing copy names can ruin name fame. I don't want to meet Zezima that's some jerk pretending to be the most famous player for giggles. I want to know the name and be like 'Woah that is Zezima'. This could still happen with the last name system so I am not entirely opposed, but it would require looking up his arbitrary last name that no one really cares about.

I personally prefer unique names. If someone came up with it already too bad, fantasy names are super easy to create, and if you don't think so, use a name generator till you find something you identify with! Just my opinion.

I am very lucky to have a childhood name that is very untaken in pretty much any game I've ever played, and I won't reveal that here haha.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Kinda tempted to create a cool virtual character of myself and naming it something cool in preperation.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    edited April 2021
    Archmonk wrote: »

The fact that I still remember the name Zezima from RuneScape from what must be at least 15 years ago pretty much nails your point. Unique names are way better

Now I want global/regional leaderboards to extend fame :smiley: